More Informative Saves

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by mjshi, Dec 5, 2015.

1. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    More Informative Saves v1.0b
    by mjshi- OK for use in all projects with credit
    Get it here! (direct link)

Introduction
    Ever wanted to spice up those boring-looking saves? Well, here's a solution where you can add, edit, change, transform, EVERYTHING!

Features
    - Change where the saves are shown as well as height/width (with added safety locks so nothing will ever go offscreen :D )
    - Restrict maximum savefiles and savefiles shown
    - Change save messages/load messages/ filenames as well as move the save message window around
    - Show sprite images in party OR show party face images, configure where they are, as well as their spacing
    - Display custom values or values from Game_Data on the save
    - Display custom text on the save

update 1.0a: Fixed a bug where it wasn't looping correctly
    update 1.0b: Changed how the script processed faces, via Probotector 200X's suggestions
    update 1.01: Added support for the displaying of the icons of currently equipped weaponry, at ZServ's request.

Screens

A slightly more vanilla usage
    0OtPYS4.png

An all-out assault on the settings
    sGOhHAc.png

Equipped items
    Screenshot_2.png

How to Use
    Installation: Paste this script above Main.

Demo
    Not really necessary.

Scripts
    Direct Link: http://pastebin.com/wvbrcAS9

FAQ
    Q: I don't know how to install the script >.<
    A: Open scripts, click on the empty slot above Main, press Insert. Then read the How to Use section again.

Q: I have a question about how to use the script?
    A: Read the "Configuration" part in the script. If you still have questions, ask here.

Q: I want to do something with this but am not sure how to do it?
    A: Ask away.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. Probotector 200X

Probotector 200X Probotect and Serve Veteran

Looks cool! I love having portraits on the save screen.

I would prefer a different way to handle portraits though. Just use the actors current face portrait, instead of having another copy of the faceset with the same name as the sprite...

3. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What do you mean by another copy of the faceset? (In the lines 163-165... it's just drawing out the image with reference to the image's index). It was a method already provided by Window_Base, and something was going to be drawn either way. 

I'm not too sure what the difference is xD

4. Probotector 200X

Probotector 200X Probotect and Serve Veteran

When using facesets on the save screen, it references the actor's current sprite, not their portrait. When using custom resources that use different naming schemes for the sprites and portraits, it crashes, because it's trying to find a faceset with a name that matches a character characterset.

5. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, alright, I'll see about updating it so it doesn't do that.

Thank you for enlightening me :)

6. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to 1.0b, now no longer requires files to be named identically, as well as some other minor fixes.

7. ZServ

ZServ Veteran Veteran

Stupid question, but here goes: Would it be possible to use it to show the icons of currently equipped gear on party members using this? I imagine you'd just save the relevant icon numbers into an array and then display that, but though I understand the concept, the implementation is beyond me.

An example would be like this horrible mockup:

[​IMG]

If this is rather insane, then better I know now rather than get too set on this idea, so I figured I'd ask :)

8. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @ZServ I'd have to look into that before I can give you a definite yes or no. Though I can tell you upfront that it isn't as simple as saving icon ids into an array, and there probably isn't an "equipped items list" somewhere that I can just pull icons from (and especially because weapons and armors are different "tabs" and item classes, so you can have a weapon id that's the same as an armor id). But I'll give you an answer by tomorrow at the latest.

9. ZServ

ZServ Veteran Veteran

Ah, I had no idea! My apologies :)

10. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, I've looked through it, and it looks possible, but it's going to take maybe a day or two to get the whole thing figured out. Fortunately I'm on break, and I've already maybe figured out the foundation of how I'm going to do this. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit xD

edit @ZServ My programming skill had more points in it than I thought... I'm already done xD Pastebin should be updated in a few minutes, but be sure to clear your cache first since if you click to view the "raw", your browser might try to bring up the old version since it's been downloaded/saved to whatever browser you're currently using.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  11. ZServ

ZServ Veteran Veteran

Holy cow! I didn't expect you to actually like.. do it! You're wonderful and I love you! Thank you very much :)