shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm honestly pretty surprised that nobody's posted this here, maybe it's just such a common thing that its implied, but I feel like from a mapping standpoint one of the biggest improvements that could be made is access to as many layers as we want, and if not that perhaps a layer system closer to XP? In my opinion the layers work pretty well right now but having any number of them or perhaps being able to set them ourselves in my opinion would be a useful feature to have.

Secondly something I'd really like to see is support for different tile sizes, with maybe automatic up/downscaling. I know there's a lot of people me included who are more comfortable with smaller tile sizes, also I'm well aware that there's plugins that do this but having it built in would be a lovely feature to have.

Obviously the issues that arise with both of these are user friendliness. I know a lot of people find too many layers daunting and resizing the images for different tile sizes if using the rtp can be a pain in the arse, but I do feel that the benefits outweigh the costs here.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From what I know, the more layers could probably happen (after all XP had 3, so setting it to 3 - 5 layers for all maps shouldn't be a problem), though for space reasons it would need to be limited to a reasonable upper limit, like say 5.

The automatic resizing I don't see ever happening, as image sizing algorithms are iffy at best, and the result of a resize is going to be ugly at best and hideous at worst. You might get away with choices between three tile sizes or something, but beyond that it is not practical for it to happen in my opinion.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are two different things about map layers that are often mixed together incorrectly - the number of layers and the type of layering selection.

MV has exactly the same number of layers as XP - the only difference is the type of layer selection.
MV has an automatic selection (everything in A goes to bottom layer, everything in B-E goes into one of the two upper layers, one after another).
XP has a manual layer selection (select which layer the next tile goes into)

Adding more layers always creates more complexity, but the effect and amount is different based on the selection type.
Manual selection as done with XP is already more work time on the map (both in the need to change layer manually and in the need to plan yourself what goes onto which layer).
Automatic selection like done with every maker from VX onward does speed up the mapping, but it also means that you need a formula for that automatic. A third automatic upper layer with B-E would be a bad choice in my opinion due to the problems that mixup will create..

So if you want to turn this into an actual improvement request, you'll need to put in some more thought and details on how it is to be done and what the effects would be.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.
I forgot that forums have profile walls that you can post or comment on, guess I found a new platform to specifically rant about game-related deranged thought or problems that I have. Salut mes amis!
I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loyalvib