More questions! Corner event graphics+ future expansions...

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So as I've continued to try and use PM, adding Avery's awesome castle tiles to the mix, I started using the "corner" pieces provided to use around the water tiles, to give them a more natural rounded look. This is a nice bonus to have, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to get the animations of the corner tiles, on the map as events, to match up with the autotile water. I've tried several combinations of animation speed and frequency, but it always looks like the events are animating way faster than the autotiles (unless the "Stepping Animation" box is unchecked, in which case the events don't animate at all). Is there any way to get them to match up?

Secondly, I'm really enjoying using this tileset, and the additions from Avery are fantastic, but there is still one major element I noticed was missing - coastal themed tiles. Beaches, a port town, etc. I already know that a trip to the coast is planned to be part of the story I'm going with for my project, which made me think, wait a sec, there aren't any good tiles for that in PM at the moment.

That said, I couldn't help but notice that on the first page of the main PM thread, under "Packs in the Works", one of the items listed is "Corsair". That sounds like it might bring some water-y stuff, possibly including beaches and ports and pirates and whatnot? Am I in the ballpark? :D

Thanks for your time!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I couldn't get the corner tiles to animate at the same rate either.  I figured I just didn't know enough about Ace to make it work.  Hopefully someone else knows how.  I wasn't too worried about it though, unless you're looking at the corners knowing they're different I don't think it's very obvious.

Yes, you've got it absolutely right.  Beach, piers and pirate ships will all be a part of the next pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Assuming that all autotiles animate at the same rate, try out 27 or 29 frames for each step (I don't remember exactly which one), but that's the autotile speed.

I made an event with four pages, each page showing a different frame of the animation. Add the wait time and self-switches, yeah you probably already know this, haha.

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I couldn't get the corner tiles to animate at the same rate either.  I figured I just didn't know enough about Ace to make it work.  Hopefully someone else knows how.  I wasn't too worried about it though, unless you're looking at the corners knowing they're different I don't think it's very obvious.
Ah, I see. Probably won't worry too much about it, then. It's kind of gratifying in a way to read this - I was trying the different animation options out and was completely stumped and just thought, man what am I missing here. lol

Yes, you've got it absolutely right.  Beach, piers and pirate ships will all be a part of the next pack.
Excellent news! :thumbsup-left: Thanks for the heads-up! Now I can work on my game with confidence, knowing that even though I can't yet, I will be able to make the areas I need down the road. Think it might be done by the end of the year? No pressure, of course - just curious. Not like there's any chance I'll be even close to finishing my game by the end of this year anyway, I don't work anywhere near that quickly. :p

Assuming that all autotiles animate at the same rate, try out 27 or 29 frames for each step (I don't remember exactly which one), but that's the autotile speed.

I made an event with four pages, each page showing a different frame of the animation. Add the wait time and self-switches, yeah you probably already know this, haha.
Oh yeah, I see what you mean... I dunno why I didn't even think to try that (using different pages for each frame). Eh, as Sharm said it's not exactly a HUGE issue anyway, so I won't worry about setting all that up for the moment. Might give it a try sometime later tho, after I get some other mapping and game-planning stuff done. Thanks for mentioning that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor