ZombieKidzRule

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, everyone. I have been exploring the use of Key Items in quests and I was surprised that my Key Item (a candle in this case) doesn't show more than 1 in the Item inventory area if I am using more than 1 of the same Key Item. I tried researching this, but all I found was tutorials on how to use Key Items. Nothing seemed to really address this.

My simple test quest has the player collect 4 magic candles. When the candles are marked as Key Item in the database, the Item Inventory only shows the entry of "Magic Candle" once, with no number, regardless of how many the player has collected. And each separate event of "finding" a Magic Candle adds the item to the player in the event.

When I change the Magic Candle in the database to be a regular item, it displays in the Item Inventory as "Magic Candle: 4" or however many I have collected at that point. So I know the events are adding the item correctly.

Am I missing something or do Key Items never show more than once in the Item Inventory? This seems odd to me since I can think of many instances where I might want to have let the player collect more than 1 of a specific Key Item type and have more of that Key Item type at any given time.

Sort of like a type of key that opens a certain type of door. There could be many doors of that type so many keys that all work on any door of that type. Of course, you don't have to make the key consumable so once the player had one key of that type, they could open any door of that type. But I have seen games that make keys single use. Maybe to account for keys breaking or getting stuck or just to purposefully make the keys single use. It is just an example. Maybe a door key is a bad example.

It seems like I can get around this by not making the item a Key Item and then multiple of the item will show in the Item Inventory. And I can limit its use through the database so it only works like a Key Item. But I want the item to actually show in the Key Item area of the inventory so it is clear to the player that it is a Key Item.

I suppose I could also get around it by naming the item like "Magic Candle (Quest Item)" or something like that and not mark it as a Key Item in the database.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how it actually works with Key Items in the default engine?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

ZombieKidzRule

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
On the System 1 tab in the database, there is a checkbox for Show the Number of Key Items. :kaohi:
Oh, dear. :LZSblush:

Clearly I haven't explored all of the tabs in the database thoroughly enough and I haven't watched enough tutorials!

What a simple answer!

Thanks for your quick response and I will go play around with that now!

EDIT: Worked like a charm! Can't believe I missed that! Thanks again!

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No worries! It's one of the things new to MZ, that may be why you missed it. Happy RPG Making~

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember to do even 0,01% progress on your game today! You can!
Watched a video of a kid in China leaning against a giant ceramic teletuby statue (valued at nearly $4000 apparently) in a toy store and everyone arguing whether it's the parents or the store's fault. I'm just sitting up wondering why anyone would make a giant ceramic toddler toy in the first place other than to deliberately cause exactly that from happening in the first place though.
Plans for vacation? Maybe I'll go visit
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RealVirg