joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone, I have very long descriptions on my character, weapons and items. It's very important to keep all the text due to the narrative aspect of the game.
I found this reference:

But it isn't what I need.
I would just need that the windows with the text within the menu can scroll down or alternatively can have a two page section. I'm using YEP menu core and YEP plugins (all of them). I've inputted the text through data file JSON editing, through notepad ++, this way I can write a very long text (we're talking about 10 lines each).

Is there a plugin or a mod to YEP plugins to achieve this?

uglywolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you say about YEP Profile Status?
Well, I aware it works on characters. Not that I know if it would do for items...

Edit: I'll be here since I'm interested to know how to make this work also.

Last edited:

joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
yeah I know that but the problem is:
I already use note box for actors and weapons for other plugin, can't use more text there.
And the profile menu isn't fitting my style..
I'd just need maybe a generic outer plugin which make that description text scrolling or makes 2 pages on both actor and item and weapons description. Alternatively, I could reduce the font size, but I don't think aesthetically will work

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is that any change to any screen requires reprogramming that entire screen, even if the change is only a minor one.
And that requires a new plugin for this.

I suggest you make a mockup-picture with a description of all the changes you want, together with a list of plugin that you have and that already change the screens, and place that in a plugin request.

uglywolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In that case, we might need to find something like-
"Description with Text Swaps or Scrolling via buttons"
-apparently, I myself was looking for such things only to find something like this for legacy ruby system.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the item description window (helpwindow), is probably returned to 2,
if you increase that number to 3 or 4, you can get 3 or 4 lines depending
on the number you placed there.

joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes but if I put 6 lines and the description only needs one, there is a big empty space right?
Description text ranges from 1 line to 6 lines average

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that depends how you did the height, if you do height on fix number,
than yes, otherwise, it will adjust on the description height.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I already use note box for actors and weapons for other plugin, can't use more text there.
What does this mean? You can type as much as you like into note boxes, they scroll.

joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What does this mean? You can type as much as you like into note boxes, they scroll.
Sure but the first line is a reference to passive state from YEP passive state plugin, that shouldn't appear in the readable text

what about something similar:

class Window_Base
def draw_item_name(item, x, y, enabled = true, width = 500)
return unless item
draw_icon(item.icon_index, x, y, enabled)
change_color(normal_color, enabled)
draw_text(x + 24, y, width, line_height, item.name)
end
end

class Window_ItemList < Window_Selectable
def col_max
return 1
end
end

class Window_SkillList < Window_Selectable
def col_max
return 1
end
end

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure but the first line is a reference to passive state from YEP passive state plugin, that shouldn't appear in the readable text
I just don't understand. Did you read how the Yanfly Profile plugin works before saying you can't use it? The text to put into the actor description is encased in a notetag, there's no way the letters of some other notetag would show up.

joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just don't understand. Did you read how the Yanfly Profile plugin works before saying you can't use it? The text to put into the actor description is encased in a notetag, there's no way the letters of some other notetag would show up.
You've been quite hostile on my last posts. :( Sorry but I feel attacked.
Yes I saw how the plugin works and it can't be the solution due to:

"And the profile menu isn't fitting my style.." I've stated before..
That plugin style isn't look like what I prefer aesthetically as result.

I want the standard Status Menu BUT with a scrolling text for character and weapons and items and skills description and/or smaller font text and/or more lines which auto-adjust by the description lenght.

I confide there is a way to make that through an external overlapping code similar to what's done here, which unfortunately can't say where to put it:

class Window_Base
def draw_item_name(item, x, y, enabled = true, width = 500)
return unless item
draw_icon(item.icon_index, x, y, enabled)
change_color(normal_color, enabled)
draw_text(x + 24, y, width, line_height, item.name)
end
end

class Window_ItemList < Window_Selectable
def col_max
return 1
end
end

class Window_SkillList < Window_Selectable
def col_max
return 1
end
end

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes I saw how the plugin works and it can't be the solution due to:

"And the profile menu isn't fitting my style.." I've stated before..
You presented that as a secondary reason - my question was about the first reason you gave, which seemed rooted in a misconception both times you talked about it. If the visual style of the plugin isn't appealing to you, and you don't want to change that while retaining the functionality, then obviously don't use it.
You've been quite hostile on my last posts. :( Sorry but I feel attacked.
All of my posts regarding support/help issues are written logically. I can't help how you feel, but I will happily refrain from replying to any more of your threads.

joket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Don't get offended. It's just...helping and supporting is also dealing with people simply don't understanding. More than once you've been criticizing my "you don't read all the notes and stuffs and instructions" behaviour: I'm trying to improve that, but this won't change that I can't always read everything out before making a questions, because this threads help me to understand those exact guides/notes/instructions too.

You can keep helping me of course, it's just.. if someone keeps telling "you should read how it works before asking" ultimately makes me afraid of making questions, because I did not understand how it worked (otherwise why asking...). However not interested in flame, I'm only trying to solve the problem.

The thread post is:

More than 2 lines in the item and actor description box​

which means: how can I fit the description text to stay in the frame?
I don't want to edit the description box and convert the text to a note one. I'd like the game to auto-adjust whatever text I input into the description box (which I've artificially put more than 3-4 lines through notepad++). So it's not a standard solution here...I suppose

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Monday morning, and the sudden message: Hey, can you set up a full second lesson about pixel art till tomorrow?
No one:
Steam game achievement: "Die 100 times in easy mode".
I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diskzaz