Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi,

I'm very new to RPG Maker, but I would already love a plugin that enables more than 3 frames per sprite movement sequence - as well as for battler movement sequence frames - as I am very interested in custom illustrating original and elaborate pixel art sprite animations.

Judging by my n00b knowledge, it seems that the individual sprite sheets are all 4 separate 3 frame sequences (3x4):

$BigMonster1.png

And the full sprite sheets that may be more common are 12x8 shown here:

Nature.png

Also the battle sprite sheets (battler animations) seem to be 18 separate 3 frame sequences per character (9x6):

Actor1_1.png

SO. To be able to increase the character movement sequence from say, 3 frames to 30 frames: it would be monumentally more exciting if done properly I imagine. 30 frames is an extreme amount, but hey, why not?

In other words, a single character movement sprite sheet would be in that case 30x4 instead of 3x4. A full sprite sheet would be 120x8 instead of 12x8.

ALSO, to increase the number of battler sequences beyond 18 - via conditionally branching specific items or skills or magic spells or in the database with additional sprite animations sequences that are not in the original 18 default shown here:

rpgmaker battler sprite sheet template key.jpg

Ideally, it would be a plugin that could be scalable and customizable, any dimensions of frames for the characters' movement, from 3 to 100 or more even. Same goes for the scalability of the framerate for the battlers, from 18x3 to 18x100 and beyond. Plus the ability to have many more than 18 battler animation sequences depending on specific actions set in the database such as specific itemsused , magic used spells used, skills used, etc.

I found this plugin (or it might be a script actually) that I link below from around 6 years ago for a different version of RPG Maker, and I was wondering if it might work for MZ anyhow? If it does what it says it should, it ought to enable +3 frames

link=

~~~ Hopefully someone can shed some light, if anyone knows any ways of achieving higher sprite frames and battler sequence capacities via plugins or scripting, do tell! And please let me know if that plugin works for MZ if you try it out :) ~~~

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I have split your post into its own thread. Please do not hijack someone else's post to ask for your own things. That post was a request for more battler frames for actors and enemies, which is not what you are asking about.

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
[mod]I have split your post into its own thread. Please do not hijack someone else's post to ask for your own things. That post was a request for more battler frames for actors and enemies, which is not what you are asking about.[/mod]
I apologize Shaz for not being clear, this is my first post on the forum. I was in fact trying to find a plugin for both walking/movement as well as battler frames, and had no intent to hijack the thread, I was merely trying to help aid in the quest to find a plugin that could add more frames for both battler frames as well as character movement frames on the map, which I thought the original thread was about. Thank you for placing this post in a more respective thread category. :)

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also, I've been reading up on tilesets, and realizing that there is an 'Animated Tile' style available, I came across the same dilemma of *animated* tilesets offering only 3 frames per animation that are grouped in a more complex tileset of 16x12 dimensions like these:

World_A1.png

However: I found this link that I posted below which was written one day under ten years ago this morning (happy decade anniversary tomorrow!). It totally explains how to create animated tilesets with more than 3 frames. The post isn't specifically for version MZ, but I'm thinking it could work for MZ anyhow.

link=

In that post, they also say it creates that "Legend of Mana" effect; which I'm ALL about: I actually have an original SNES copy I purchased a week ago on it's way in the mail. Peace!

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE: I found all the answers I was looking for involving these requests!
Here I'll share them.

So the way to animate character movement sprites and sv battler sprites with a degree of more than 3 frames per sequence in RPG Maker MZ, is to use two things:

1. The Skeletal Animation free software known as "Dragonbones" - and it does take a bit of learning to be able to operate. = http://dragonbones.com/en/index.html

2. The plugin by Visustella called "Dragonbones Union Plugin" =

--- here is the predecessor MV Visustella Dragonbones Plugin video that explains much more than the MZ video, and both I am guessing are verrry similar =

Also, I researched more about ways to have more advanced tilemaps and also animated tilesets:

This video by the RPG Maker guru Lvl Up Design is a great video on using 'Parallax (Tile)Mapping' =
This Parallax lighting/shading video by Lvl Up Design goes hand-in-hand to the Parallax Mapping video =
The 'Grayboxing/Grayscaling/Blueprinting/MachUp' video as well accompanies the other two Parallax animation videos well for a great method to creating maps fast =
Just check out Lvl Up Design's channel and more videos of theirs, it will blow your n00b RPG Maker mind like it did my n00b RPG Maker mind when I found it out.

Lastly, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping this thread proves true about being able to create '**Animated** Parallax Mapping:

1616281985105.png

'MZPlusPrimeParallax' supposedly can do Animated Parallax mapping, I will definitely attempt to use the plugin in the near future to confirm it's able to do not only Parallax layers, but 'Animated' Parallax layers. The plugin is for purchase on this site linked here = https://anisoft.itch.io/mzplus-prime-parallax

Just a reminder, I am a super n00b right now at RPG Maker, just trying to find out the broadest animation range I can get my hands on with RPG Maker. Please do tell if you can enlighten me/us n00bs on the highest levels of animation potential with RPG Maker MZ. Thank you for your time and consideration, Arpy G

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I found out Visustella has a plugin in their "All Waves Bundle" caleed Dragonbones Union that enables the Dragonbones software functionality. Dragonbones is a skeletal mapping animation software. It creates highly detailed spritesheets, and works really well with Vector art for easy scaling ability.

I'm pretty sure this will get me beyond the 3 frame limit of spritesheets, battler sheets, and animated tilesets. I will keep updating this thread as discoveries continue in case anyone runs into the same desire and issue.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished my first Slip into Ruby since last July! It'll be up and added to the main post tomorrow, along with a new Jump into Javascript.
to pass the time.pngTesting out making boxes and packs of items. These things are always fun to do.
Rural Japan Tiles, Giant Dragon Sprite, Paint Icons? & Game Spicy Pixel Fonts | RPG Maker News #31

just hopped into project recruitment... hoping to maybe find some artists to help with parallax maps and whatnot. I could do them myself, but I'm not really good at it so I'd prefer to stick to my strengths which is character art and SOME UI elements.
PRODUCTIVE DAY! I think I FINALLY completed all the items for part 1 of Fallen Feather, that includes the animations, the stats, the pricing, etc. for weapons, armors, key and consumables! all i need to be 100% done is write a few more descriptions (only 10 left out of the 40+ items) and to find some nice pants icons (dont ask lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MistRalwarm