Psychronic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, yeah I was referring to the max number of maps (more than 999 small maps). I mostly use small maps because I've noticed performance hit with the bigger maps. I am not saying I ever want to make a map that's 999 squares long by 999 squares wide, that would be nuts!

I am just talking about more than 999 maps (even small ones). Not worried about it in the short term but could be a problem potentially if the game gets big.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Needing more than 999 maps smells of poor map management to me. You can easily fit several small maps onto one without having lag occur.

If you have lag on even the tiniest of maps, rather than looking into splitting up maps into even tinier versions, you should be looking into redoing your eventing, because something is seriously bogging down your game performance (hint: it isn't the map size.)

Emz0

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
french/français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My RM2K3 project have more than 1600 maps, cause it's very narrative and linear, with a lot of scenes on many different maps.

So it's a real problem for me to be limited to 999 maps, if I want to rebuild it into RMMV.

LTN Games

Code Sorcerer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Emz0 if you were going to rebuild then it would be best to take a different approach and fit several maps into 1 map. So it's only a problem if you insist on creating maps with only 1 area. Those 1600 maps could easily become 800 if you merge 2 into 1, and could drop that # further if you put 3 into 1.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Emz0 considering my game which many says takes them 70+ hours to beat uses about 425 and 50 if them are secret rooms and sone others are just for cutscene I have to wonder one if two things.

Either your game is super long like longer than skyrim or any final fantasy ever made, or your maps are not used well.

Emz0

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
french/français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game is currently about 50 hours, with a lot of cut-scenes and many different zones.

I do not like the idea of merging maps that have nothing to do with each other, but I guess I do not have a choice ... so I'm going to do that.

Thank you for your answers.

Fornoreason1000

Black Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Needing more than 999 maps smells of poor map management to me. You can easily fit several small maps onto one without having lag occur.

If you have lag on even the tiniest of maps, rather than looking into splitting up maps into even tinier versions, you should be looking into redoing your eventing, because something is seriously bogging down your game performance (hint: it isn't the map size.)

i should add that changing tilesets is a another trick to make a map look like another. MV doesn't allow you to do so before loading the map though. but with some clever events with the use of Screen Fading it can be accomplished relatively easily.

I will mention there is a huge spike drop in frames whenever a map is loaded (or even changing scenes including the Menu!) but that is independent of Map size and is actually linked to the game loading/creating tile sets. its nearly completely unavoidable as it will happen even just teleporting around the same map.

Velvela Jade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It humours me to no end to read all the naysayer comments here and how "they wouldn't" there for "we shouldn't either". The argument is really in effect saying,
"I am not a reader and therefore you shouldn't be one either." A reader is someone who so loves learning new things that non-fiction trumps fiction. Being a Career student is a dream! Playing Chess, Sudoku and Diabolical Sudoku with Sudoku variations - Black Knight, Sigma, Knight, Queen, King, White Knight, Samurai 9-Grid, Rudoku, Krychle 9x9 is so amazing, that we look for more puzzles to play while we try to figure out how to crack out of the room we are in! Obviously, most people here, would hate such a game!

And yes, my game is sort of like Skyrim meets MENSA on Steriods meets Chronic Collector who needs Chronic Collector Support Group meets What the hey was SHE on when she came up with that? I still can't crack how to crack in!?!

And yes, I know that most people did not read all of what I said. I don't think any of the naysayers understand HOW I create games.

1. Plan out 1 area of 1 map with some dialogue to make it interesting. This map would have a city with not much events yet.
2. Create that one puzzle (with different versions of the same puzzle placed in a holding area).
3. Play and have fun.
4. Add another puzzle.
5. Play and have fun.
6. Add in a store event so that player can enter store and shop.
7. Play and have fun.
8. Add in a hidden puzzle in that store that is triggered, depending on what they bought.
9. Play and have fun.

See? I do not need to complete the entire Epic game, and everything I want in it, in order to enjoy my game! I'm not like you. I'm a former MENSA who still can randomly access that part of my brain, but not very well. Sure, I have brain damage, but I can still solve hard sudoku games and create puzzles.

.ps the only reason why I'm posting this here, is because the last comment was November 2019 and its Covid and I just felt like it. I don't expect anyone to reply to me as this issue is so dead because only a Nerd MENSA person like ME would understand.

1Mustadio1

BromanLegion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I voted yes, but not important. You never know when somebody will push the maker beyond just RPGs.. So the option is nice, though I'd probably never use it. Or wait.. maybe this will be perfect for my new project: "1000 Rooms Of Doom" ;)
To be fair though, you could easily put two rooms on every map and cut the need in half.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I guess they listened to this feedback, since I think MZ raised the map limit to 2000.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I guess they listened to this feedback, since I think MZ raised the map limit to 2000.
Huh, you're right!
I tested in MZ thinking they hadn't really changed it, but it did increase to 2000.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So is there a way to increase maps? I use yep callevents and distribute functions over maps. I'm already at 300 maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Equipment Microtransaction ---

M.Knight: How much this item?
Merchant: 79.99 REAL Money
(After Do Some Transaction In Real World)
Merchant: Thanks,come back again!
(In Distand)
M.Knight: (Smile With Regret) Goodbye...My Dream Console And PC Gaming
Hello folks, I'm an old member deciding to reenter the forum. Greetings :D
When a parent (of a less than adult aged child) is like
"Oh, I'm like a friend to my child. We're friends."
I'm like
"Oh, that kid's gonna suck...."
Baby tiger gets a belly rub! ^.^
Ami
--- Friendship System ---

(F.Mage and F.Healer's FP is 100)
F.Mage: We did it! we can beat the monster easily!
F.Healer: With the Friendship System,we got stronger thanks to you F.Mage (Hugging)
F.Mage: (Blushing) Ahh...don't say like that. we are Best Friend Forever.
(In Distand)
M.Mage: They look happy...
M.Healer: Yeah...always like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilperm