TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm starting work on a project with MZ, and while I'll be using temporary placeholders for character art (and possibly music), I'm thinking it would be best to get the maps right the first time.

So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to make roof tiles inspired by this sentence from a Lord Dunsany story: "In front of the village was a wide and grassy space, and beyond this the great wood again, but at the back the trees came right up to the houses, which, with their great beams and wooden framework and thatched roofs, green with moss, seemed almost to be a part of the forest." (Or someone could point me in the right direction if such a thing already exists.)

The wooden walls of the houses I can probably use the default tiles for, but I'd like to have the right roof. The art style should fit in with the RTP. Please let me know if I left any information out; it's my first time making a resource request. Thanks in advance!

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I Frankensteined this together a while back with MZ RTP, maybe you can use it, maybe not
grassroof.png

TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You'd have to recolor them to match whatever you use for trees, but @Sevarihk has a swamp tileset ( https://sevarihk.itch.io/dead-swamp-tileset ) which has some roofs that look pretty thatched.
Thanks, though I'm not much of a graphic editor.

I Frankensteined this together a while back with MZ RTP, maybe you can use it, maybe not
View attachment 192418
Hmm... Maybe. I can give it a shot, anyway. The bottom row doesn't quite match up with the one above it, but probably no one would look closely enough to notice.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm... Maybe. I can give it a shot, anyway. The bottom row doesn't quite match up with the one above it, but probably no one would look closely enough to notice.
Yeah i Never claimed to be good with pixel art lol

I Just threw it together a while back cause i needed something like it. Like i said maybe you can use it, maybe not but i thought its better then nothing at least xD

Im sure someone else will do a much better job eventually tho :)

Anyways good Luck with your project :D

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Cyanides custom tiles seem to fit that description pretty well:

TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Cyanides custom tiles seem to fit that description pretty well:
Wow, they do! I should be able to use those. Thank you! Their only drawback is that they can only be used for forward-facing buildings or for roofs two tiles high. By the way, I notice that those are specifically for MV. Would they be the same size as MZ's RTP tiles?

Yeah i Never claimed to be good with pixel art lol

I Just threw it together a while back cause i needed something like it. Like i said maybe you can use it, maybe not but i thought its better then nothing at least xD

Im sure someone else will do a much better job eventually tho :)

Anyways good Luck with your project :D
Thank you! God knows that art is better than anything I could have done.

There may be a tile in the RTP that might suit my purpose for buildings seen from the side. It looks like a moss-covered surface. Judging from its position, it might be intended as the top of a mossy stone wall, but I think it could counterfeit a mossy thatched roof (or at least wooden roof) fairly well. The main drawback of using it with Cyanide's tiles is that it lacks the grassy parts sticking up.

GammaVector

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First Seed Material's Forest and Caves pack has some gorgeous mossy roofs and walls. It takes a wee bit of editing (up saturation, index colors) to get them to match the RTP, but they're otherwise fantastic. There are several different styles included.

Arthran

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First Seed Material's Forest and Caves pack has some gorgeous mossy roofs and walls. It takes a wee bit of editing (up saturation, index colors) to get them to match the RTP, but they're otherwise fantastic. There are several different styles included.
While I love that pack and would strongly recommend it to anybody, I gotta say that I don't think it has what the OP is looking for. He asked about a thatched roof (a roof made out of layered straw, grass, leaves, or some other dried vegetation), and I don't recall seeing anything like that in FSM Forest and Caves. There is a mossy roof made out of wood planks though.

... thatched roofs, green with moss, seemed almost to be a part of the forest." (Or someone could point me in the right direction if such a thing already exists.) ...

The wooden walls of the houses I can probably use the default tiles for, but I'd like to have the right roof. The art style should fit in with the RTP...

I don't mean this in a flippant way, but did you see that there actually is already a thatched roof in the RTP (Outside_A3)? It might not be as mossy as what you're envisioning, but you could probably figure out how to spatter a bit of moss onto it in some graphic editing software.

TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't mean this in a flippant way, but did you see that there actually is already a thatched roof in the RTP (Outside_A3)? It might not be as mossy as what you're envisioning, but you could probably figure out how to spatter a bit of moss onto it in some graphic editing software.

I'm not sure I'm seeing it? Unless you're referring to the tile in A3's fourth column, third row, which I had noticed and considered, and which I'd pegged as a possible alternative if I couldn't find something better. I just wasn't sure what it was supposed to be. Just judging from the tile below it I assumed it was the top of a mossy stone wall. I mentioned it in an earlier post.

Arthran

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not sure I'm seeing it? Unless you're referring to the tile in A3's fourth column, third row, which I had noticed and considered, and which I'd pegged as a possible alternative if I couldn't find something better. I just wasn't sure what it was supposed to be. Just judging from the tile below it I assumed it was the top of a mossy stone wall. I mentioned it in an earlier post.
Yeah, that's the one. If you hover your mouse over it in RPGM, you'll see that it says "Roof L (Thatched)". You don't actually have to pair it with the wall that's directly under it. Dunno to what extent it fulfills your vision, but the thatch actually is kinda mossy looking.

1624921581907.png

But other than what has already been mentioned in this thread, several of Celianna's sets have thatched roofs. These are the ones I'm aware of off the top of my head:

However, none of them are mossy, and you you'd need to convert them to the correct size to use in MZ, and I believe you'd also need to own a copy of VX or VX Ace in order to use them. There are MZ versions of the latter two available on Steam (pretty cheap right now, because of the Summer Sale), which I think would allow you to circumvent those restrictions.

Last edited:

Arthran

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I actually see what GammaVector was talking about now. The FSM Forest and Caves pack does not have any thatched roofs, but the FSM Atumn Woods and Rural tileset has a ton of thatched roofs, and some of them are even mossy.

It's part of the summer sale on Steam too:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xCaramelCookiex