Most Creative RPG Skills

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know it seems silly, but the I find the idea of inflicting damage to your opponent equal to your character level a pretty fun (and simple mechanic).

What are your favorite skills ideas?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is possible to work with such tiny numbers, but if I'm at level 2 and so can only deal damage of 2HP, you are going to have to do some very exact balancing so that I don't have to take 4 or 5 turns to kill a simple slime.

As for my favorite skills - that depends on the story, the style of game play, the characters and how the skills relate to them, what the enemies are like etc. etc.  A skill being used within one battle style can be cool, but transplant it to another and it can be a bore.  So I personally don't have firm favorites, it all comes down to "it depends".

Last edited by a moderator:

Fornoreason1000

Black Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
level based spells and skills I like such is what is present in earlier FF games such as Lvl.3 flare. Spell only works if target is target is a certain multiple level. then you add spells that can change the level. which means a level 25 can suddenly be dropped to a level 12 (25 / 2 = 12.3) AND be susceptible to very powerful spells.

Spells that bypass reflect status are another thing I like, it can keep players on their toes if they rely on that. Usually the End game spells can do this. then throw in a item that can bypass bypasses. then throw in an enemy that uses a skill that dispels and hits you for large damage only if you have reflection.

The Skills I like are mainly ones that either need to target a specific enemy weakness or require some strategy to become effective. for example a Iron giant has an insurmountable amount of defence and strength but is weak to a skill that causes his defence to drop to zero. making him much easier to defeat

Anthony Xue

Ancient Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Is this limited to battle skills? Because personally, I find it somewhat boring if the gameplay of an RPG consists of nothing but endless battles (and especially endless random grinding).

So of the non-battle skills I know, I found quite original the ability to talk to animals or even plants; and the classic "Bard's Tale III" had a wizard elite class which would forget all other spells, but gain the ability to teleport the party to and from other planes; the higher the wizard's skill level, the more remote and dangerous the planes that could be visited. This was an idea I found immensely cool.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For out of combat, I have to go with the Harp of Ages from The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages. At first you only know one song which can activate time portals that can take you from the present to the era in the distant past or back to the present. Then you learn a song that can take you from anywhere in the past to that exact spot in the present, and finally a song that lets you go both ways without the need for a portal. There are just so many puzzle solving abilities with time travel. 

Wall in the way? Go back into the past before the wall was built, walk to where you want to be, then warp back to the present on the other side of the wall.

Can't climb a ledge? Go back to the past, bring some seeds to a groove along the cliff, then zip back to the present where those seeds became study vines you can climb up.

Something in the present broke? Go back to the past and yoink the original back to the present. The one you broke before was just a fake replacement!

Something in the past is broken? Take it to the present to let someone use modern tools to repair it.

With creative map design, time travel makes the map into two slightly different maps that can also interact with each other. That kind of ability lets you have twice the fun with the space you have to work with.

For combat abilities, I'll go with Rikku's "Steal" and "Use" abilities from Final Fantasy X. While the actual mechanic of "Steal" is just like earlier Final Fantasy titles, instead of only getting boring consumables or weak gear drops that you are never likely to use, Rikku can steal a bunch of parts and monster items that no one else can use. Instead, she has her "Use" command which lets her throw items at monsters or allies for spell effects like damage, healing, and status effects. The items can also be stockpiled to let her customize the party's equipment by consuming the weird items she steals to add new abilities to them. She also has her "Mix" Overdrive which lets her combine any 2 items to produce a huge library of combination effects - either doubling up on the same item for a huge effect or adding two different items together to combine and splash their effects on either the whole party or all enemies. I've found it way more fun than normal video game stealing since the items stolen are specifically for Rikku to use that make her a more versatile party member. Edge in Final Fantasy IV is close, since he can steal and use "Throw" to chuck junk weapons at enemies for damage, but he doesn't get to splash heal the whole party or apply useful debuffs like slow onto enemies. 

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@RetroBoy - The skill you describe sounds like Night Shade/Seismic Toss in Pokémon - very useful to do consistent damage if your offensive stats are low.

Here's a few other Pokémon skills I wanna highlight - it has a lot of creative moves:

Strength Sap - heals the user equal to the opponent's Attack stat, then lowers the opponent's attack by one stage.

Trick Room - creates a five-turn field effect that reverses the turn order, with the slowest Pokémon going first and the fastest going last.

Baton Pass - Your Pokémon is switched out for an ally, who carries over all stat changes and non-persistent status effects (such as Aqua Ring, a regeneration buff) from the user.

Curse - If the user isn't Ghost-Type, it lowers Speed by one stage and increases Attack and Defense by one stage. If the user is Ghost-Type, it takes away half of the user's max HP to put a curse on the opponent, dealing 25% max HP damage each turn.

Fusion Flare/Fusion Bolt - Respectively a Fire- and Electric-Type attack. They are doubled in power if the other one was used during this turn.

Harosata

Dramatic Lightning's BFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A concept I plan to implement into my RPG Maker game would be Tanked Skills.  The key concept is that these skills normally hit the whole party, but when you Guard these kinds of attacks, only the player who guards will take the damage.

Of course, there are other items I can add to make this concept a bit more challenging.  For example, a Broken Shield state will disable Guarding, meaning that player cannot Tank the attack.  In another case, a Marked state might come before a Tanked Skill and might have different interactions; one interaction would make it so that only the Marked could Tank the skill while others don't change the skill when they guard.

---

From Final Fantasy XV, this isn't much of a creative skill, but Ignis's Enhancement is pretty useful.  What it does is give Noctis an Elemental Buff based on the targeted enemy's elemental weakness (Fire, Ice, Bolt).  If the enemy has one weakness, it always gives one buff, but if the enemy has no preference or multiple weaknesses, casting Enhancement 3 times will give 3 different buffs.

Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've recently been replaying Final Fantasy 5, and I've been impressed at the variety of inventive skills and skill types that are in there.  One that stands out to me is Return, a time magic spell.  It rewinds the battle to the beginning, which was useful for undoing big mistakes in a game where death meant restarting from an old save, but was also a peculiar obstacle when enemy mages started using it.

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
How about a skill that greatly enhances physical capability, with the ability to scale up for greater effect, but the more you use it (especially at a higher level), the more severely it hurts? It may not be a skill common in RPGs, but there's quite a few shonen anime with powers that work like this (such as Kaioken in DBZ and the Chakra Gates in Naruto).

Speaking of which, the Yugioh anime's first season had a spell card called Living Arrow, which allows you to take a spell card on your side and shoot it into an enemy. This could be a spell that you can normally not target enemies with, a debuff placed on you or an ally of yours or a spell your opponent was about to hit you with.

Worth it looking into other media for skill ideas.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like skills that require you to spend items in your inventory.

Whether you need a specific 3 items, or a range of 1 type for varying damage values.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@LightningLord2: Theres a yanfly? Script for ace that allows you to transfer states to another target

biczero

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm rather partial to skill combos. For example, if the target is afflicted with x state, y ability will remove that state and deal bonus damage when used.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Im toying with the idea of what critical hits are. I have a skill on one of my charecters that garuntees there next damaging skill is a crit

while they also have a few skills that deal half damage on critical hits but also apply states, while normally they do decent damage

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Oddball I have a number of skills which do different things if the hit is critical, I'd be wary of a skill to guarantees one.  First off, I don't like the default crit value of 3x damage.  I think that's way too high, so I have changed it to 2x damage.  If your character already does "decent damage" then the risk of the skill you're suggesting is that they just one-shot their way through. 

However, I agree with you that using it as a trigger to e.g. add a state, maybe guarantee the addition of the state that normally is only X% possible with that skill, or restore HP to the user in addition to whatever the skill normally does, is a nice variation (but then, I'm biased, I do all those and a couple more).

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmmm... well since my battle system is kind of a delayed action CTB (you select action, it runs on your next turn which will come depending on your spd + the spd of the action you selected), one of the creative ideas in my skills is that some of them can cause a delay to the enemy actions.. 

I also have made actions that give you a buff that can block incoming damages and/or debuffs. 

I'm also thinking of states that heal you for little amount but during every battler's turn and ones that heal huge amount but only during your own turn.

Im toying with the idea of what critical hits are. I have a skill on one of my charecters that garuntees there next damaging skill is a crit

I have one too, though the sure crit is for a specific set of actions only and not for all damaging actions :)

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes critical hits in my game only do 50% more and stats are flat throughout the game because im using exp to gain skills and that seems to erase the level. im also using formulas like this

((a.atk + a.tp))*14/b.def

this keeps damage pretty low, and a crit from that attack would deal 21 damage about. and the max hp an enemy can have is 100

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually also have a skill that guarantees a critical hit for the next 5 rounds. However, it is so hideously expensive that the player won't be able to one shot with it, and critical hits are only 2x normal damage (though can be raised to 3x with another skill, but that then requires the player to spend 2 turns to set it up for 4 turns of 3x damage, as they already lost one turn with the second skill application).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been playing with skill ideas involving buffs and debuffs as a way of making them more ingrained in the battle system.

The following three skills belong to one of my characters.

first - basic attack which grants self 1 DEF stack

second - heals an ally based on how many buffs (including stacks) caster has.

Third - sacrifices all DEF buffs to gain the same number of stacks as both ATK and SUP(support). i.e. lose 3 stacks of DEF but gain 3 stacks of ATK and SUP for 6 stacks total (with SUP also being the heal stat)

Just to point out, my (de)buffs are only 10% but stack 5 times.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@shadowhawkdragon: So you spend x + 1 turns to get x attack? Seems longwinded to me

then again, id probably have to see the system. do you have other skills besides stat buffs?

also, why are debuffs so low? it seems unbalanced. 3 for debuff would be perfectly balanced with buff being 5

by that i mean a 50% buff and a 33% debuff

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Oddball debuffs and buffs use the same formula, 10% per stack, 5 stacks for 50% total either way. 

The point of sacrificing DEF for ATK and SUP is so you double your total buff stacks for a stronger heal. Those SUP stacks also increase the heal base-line (used in heal 'damage formula'). You can then continue to attack with the increased ATK stat to regain those DEF stacks for even stronger heals since every buff stack counts. 

so that's  x + 1 turns to get x attack AND x * 2 heal stacks, turning his puny heal into a force to reckon with if used right. I'm also contemplating giving him a skill to duplicate his buffs onto allies while also adding their buffs to his own.

He does currently have 2 more skills and will have access to equip-able 'generic abilities' which aren't buff based. But yes, buffs are meant to be this character's gimmick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*when the One Map Challenge is the only time you can finish a game*
Drifty wanted to make sure the default MV spark animation lived on, so he made it in Effekseer for the contest :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
Thanks to a post in a forum thread we can better create MV/MZ plugins in Haxe.
Latest video of my adventures in Kingdom Hearts 3~
Imagine every unfunny joke gets a laugh track, and it doesn't top until you genuinely laugh at that unfunny joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheFaz