Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RetroBoy, I like skills that are non combatants like teleportation, cut a tree, and mining a crystal. Those skills will be use to move a story narrative and a game progression.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What @Kupotepo just said made me think of something similar but different, skills that empower characters to move objects out the way or get to otherwise inaccessible locations.

I played a demo of a game long ago on RPG Maker VX where you had a world map and would visit each location. You were also an assassin I remember.

In some areas there would be boulders blocking the way or tiles with spaces you couldn't go forward through. Later, you'd get items like a power glove, it had a way better special name to it but I can't remember that name now, which would give you the ability to push boulders and a good reason to go back through the areas. The same with forward spaces, they had jump boots and grapple hook.

Because the developer was an exceedingly excellent mapper in terms of both visuals and level design, I really enjoyed the demo. It ended just after introducing a time element feature where you'd revisit a map before the main character got there, you'd play through part of the same place as a different character then accessed a new area you couldn't when going through it as the main character. It was actually very cleverly well done as well.

I can't remember the name of it, but it had a lot of positive feedback and proved, while they were items instead of actual skills, that type of thing can work in RPG Maker. However, you'd have to be knowledge in how you design your maps to work with those features if you want to take those type of ideas and pull them off successfully.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@atoms, I am like of thinking about pokemons skills. Many people can create those simple skills to teleporting and push stuffs. However, many people here do not sastify with it and go overbroad or over thinking with many contional branches. That can cause some a headache. That makes player interactive with environment more than just battling and talking.
That is what I think and I hope do not go off the topic.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo
Well that's what I'm saying, it's similar. For example, there was a skill in Pokemon called Cut and that would remove an object that's otherwise in the way.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@atoms, great that we are reaching the common understanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwabwa