Most underrated RPG

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by LionHeart48, Nov 27, 2012.

1. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Earthbound for NES.

2. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    There are a lot great ones on here, particularly the recommendation for Planescape. That game can never get too much love.

I think that all of Quintet's SNES RPG's qualify, but RoboTrek for the SNES is almost unheard of. It's not Quintet's best, but it's a great game. It's not for everyone, though. Here's a quick questionnaire:

1) Do you like lighthearted, anime-styled JRPG's?

2) Can you tolerate or even love terrible official translations?

3) Do like basic crafting systems? (yes, that's right, a crafting system on the motherf***ing SNES.)

4) Do you like the idea of modding your own robots?

5) Did you know that Pokemon wasn't the first game to feature a boy throwing a capsule to make something else fight for him?

If you said yes to 1-4, I recommend giving it a try. Unfortunately, Nintendo hasn't ported any of Quintet's games to the VC yet, which is just further proof that they're allergic to fandom (or that a mule is in charge of selecting which games get ported.) There are... other ways.

Why of course I mean buying a used copy. Ha! *nervous* Yeah... that's the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  3. gruberik

gruberik Vein of Stars Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Are you referring to Mother? Earthbound (Mother 2) was for SNES.

4. gruberik

First Language:
    English
    My top 2 underrated RPGs:

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES)

Mother 3 (GBA)

Travatar likes this.
  5. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    Uncharted Waters was awesome. I love the whole "age of exploration" thing. I only got to try it for a weekend when I originally wanted to rent something else... good times.

6. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shining Force for Sega Genesis

7. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would say Shining Force II. The first one wasn't a good.

8. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Black Ops 2!!!

....What? :3 Ok I'll take it seriously 3: I think Overlord is :3

Amrod likes this.
  9. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm gonna have to say Infinite Undiscovery. Awesome little game and the main character was sort of endearing in a I NEED TO WHACK HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD FOR BEING AN IDIOT kind of a way, and Michelle was just LOL!

Though I was rather taken with Edwards character, and the storyline was exactly the sort of story I enjoy playing, and the creation part of the game is so much fun, and almost as addictive as breeding chocoboos (I'm replaying and clocking up the hours something serious just making armour and weapons!)

10. Amrod

Amrod Mcdreamy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @RyanA aahhhh I love Overlord!!! played all of them even the one for Wii haha, those games where soo fun! They are severely underrated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  11. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aye :3 It remineded me of fond times playing Dungeon Keeper when I was knee high to a grasshopper :3

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Phantasy star 4. I loved that game playing on my cousin's Mega Drive, but I could not get far since it was all in Japanese Now that I own the genesis collection, 4 should have had a English translation in the first place I actually got far in it.

Chaos Avian likes this.
  13. crimcrim

crimcrim :d Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Terranigma for the SNES

RyanA and Travatar like this.
  14. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    OMG. SOMEONE ELSE PLAYED THAT GAME!!!

I guess in my world of gamers, these couple were shunned, though I loved them:

Legend of Dragoon:

Rhapshody: "A Musical Adventure"

15. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Rhapsody is awesome. Was the game that introduced me to Nippon Ichi.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  16. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

There are some way more underrated games than mentioned on this thread. Because those games was made for the MSX computers and that meant that very few outside Japan even got one. Not to mention that language barrier to even play them well back then. Of course those fans still nowadays around the world translate those games to English.

SD Snatcher is one of the Chibi RPG games. i have not played any other RPG with the combat system like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  17. gruberik

First Language:
    English
    Soul Blazer

18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Planescape Torment. You're not a RPG gamer before you've beat it. Final Fantasy has absolute nothing compared to that. It's criminally underrated to this date even though it has a very loyal and big fanbase, it's not even fraction what the game really would deserve.

Sounds lame and forced. I'd probably skip it based on that alone. And Japanese love heavy guitar in their games...

And Zelda is about as much of RPG as Donkey Kong Country is a RPG.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
    Travatar likes this.
  19. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes thats what i meant my mistake.

20. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Legend of Legaia 2: Duel Saga was a pretty neat RPG. I liked it better than the original because I could actually beat the dayum thing (some of the bosses in the original were ridiculous). The skill/battle system was great, it had a lot of puzzles and sidequests (always a favourite of mine) and while the story wasn't anything too mind-blowing, it was decent for what it was.

Legend of Dragoon gets a lot of love from me, too.

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet - and maybe it's not considered underrated, but I've not met many who've played it - was Okami. God, that game<3. From the art-style to the battle mechanics and story, it's very much worth playing.

Breath of Fire series, especially the second. A lot of people that have played them usually prefer the third or fourth over the second, but personally it's my favourite of the lot. Also, on the SNES games, Secret of the Stars, the original Star Ocean, Secret of Evermore and Illusion of Gaia/Time are all great titles.

Lufia II is usually overlooked by people who have played it due to them preferring the original, but I think it's the better game of the series, with charming characters, lots of great tunes, interesting puzzles all over the place and that awesome 100-floor randomly-generated dungeon. Also, three New Game + modes~<3

Terranigma is an amazing game and a lot of people have never heard of it or played it. It's really worth experiencing at least once. The gameplay mechanics are very smooth (I recommend playing with a controller if you're gonna go emulate it), the characters are entertaining and the whole game is wonderfully polished. Also, there are some awesome tunes in there~<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dUWSH_86Q

One that wasn't released in English, but now has a fan-translation, is Ein no Filena. The battle system is different, the setting and story are great, the characters interesting and the graphics very nice. The only main issue with it is that the music is a liiiiiiittle repetitive. But it's well-worth checking out if only to play as a cross-dressing, possibly-lesbian female hero in a gladiatorial setting. Have I caught your interest yet?

This is where I'd throw in a line about Suikoden II and how it's usually considered the lesser of the two first titles in the series but instead I'm going to jump to another game that is often considered pretty awful when compared to the game that came before it. Yes, Chrono Cross. I know, I know. It's not the best game out there, but it has a lot of charm, replay value out the wazoo and the music... oh God, that heavenly music. It's worth playing at least once if only to know how the Chrono story 'ends'. And to hear that music.

Lastly, a little game I loved to death if only for the Introduction movie music - Wild ARMs. The original one, with the princess. Not many people I talk games with actually ever heard of it which is a dayum shame, because the story, characters, battle system and music is pretty great. It's got a Western theme happening, but how many games let you find items via radar? Or control a gigantic golem? Also, some of the music is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    Travatar and RyanA like this.