ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
good question, maybe do things you hate, and work on your game.
if your out of idea's, try some good games, to get motivations on your game,
I dont know if there is any other way though.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try playing some of your favorite games or another RM user's game. Maybe these suggestion could work.

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks real helpful and Di you make the art for Variant Accord if you did how did you do those trees?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
if you need motivation to work on a personal project, clearly that project is not of your liking, so, why is that even a contest?

the motivation for completing personal projects is always there.... it's *everything else* what you should focus on solving: resources, environment, time, overall aspect, market, reception, etc.

I've been struggling with the graphics aspect of my project for months.
I *want* to fix them..... the problem is, the math doesn't add up, and I don't like how it's looking... and, since there's a lot of variables to sort out, I have to figure out a working unit of measurement.
having written everything to fit in sync, if I figure out that unit of measurement, I figure out the whole thing.
from there, there would be no effort required anymore.
it's ONE thing to figure out, but I can only try a handful of combinations at a time, and I can't work while I'm asleep... so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AeroPergold

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try running ideas for games with people you know. I was in a creative rut and I ran an idea I was barely excited about and they said they liked it and that motivated me so I could work with the idea and two weeks later I'm the middle of working on said project.

Try making ideas and if you're not excited or happy try talking about it with others and see if fresh perspectives could get you going. It did for me.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks real helpful and Di you make the art for Variant Accord if you did how did you do those trees?
Yes, I made the artwork and tile set for Variant Accord. As for the trees there was no real tree to them. I just drew them how I normally would and shaded them accordingly.

@gstv87 I agree, you shouldn't work on a game or project you would be motivated to work on. My first game, "Path of the Martyrs" something in my gut just told me to keep going. Then next thing I knew I finished the game.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Orex_, what your project about? Also, you can draw digitally. You should join the team of developers, so you might learn how they operate which you can apply and try for yourself and how that method works.
And you came back with a new perspective and you might make you better because know more.

Last edited:

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Three things that work best for me:

-get notes from a playtester

-play an RPG you have never played before, even an MMO - you will see fresh ideas for your project

-play other people's projects

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Don't worry about a deadline or how to find the motivation, and continue along your normal path, only working on your game when you're sure you're up to it. Eventually something in your daily life, or something from one of your other hobbies will cause you to want to work on your game again in earnest.

The cycle will probably repeat itself, but as long as you don't completely give up, you'll keep getting further and further with your game's progress, until it is complete.

Triangle45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry but if you don't enjoy what you do, don't do it. Ask yourself why are you doing a game in the first place and see if the story you want to tell is a story even you want to hear in the first place.
Something else you can do is build your game on a minimum viable product Instead of trying to finish everything at once. If you set goals that are too high (today I will finish 10 maps, all enemies and all the soundtrack) you will inevitably feel frustrated when at the end of the day all you have done is make 2 item icons, set realistic goals and work on small things.

Make your friends or someone close play that small portion of the game you consider finished and watch them play it and take notes. Are they enjoying it? Are they breezing through the dialogue? Are they examining everything or just going straight to key locations? Are they stumped by the puzzles or how easy can they solve them? It's like watching the reaction of a test audience for a reharsal of your play.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOAmaster