Move to next map

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by TheUnsungChampion, Jul 10, 2016.

1. TheUnsungChampion

TheUnsungChampion Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello, everyone! I am brand new to the forums, and brand new to the RPG Maker series. I started with MV, the most recent release, both because it looks really cool and because another friend of mine really recommended it. However, like all newbies, I have a lot of questions, and the one that I am posting here is the first one to which I don't seem to have found a plug-in with a built-in answer for me. 

I know there is probably some very simple answer to this dilemma, but I can't find one here on the forums (granted, I just ran quick searches, so I may have missed something). Here it is: I have learned how to handle map transitions via eventing, but I don't want a transfer player event on every single tile in my starting town from which one can walk from one map to the next. The town has a pretty open layout, so having that many events makes me a little nervous as far as stability goes. Does anyone have any advice on a simpler/better way to do this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    use a region common event script and have the transfer in the common event that is triggered by the region ID on the map.

3. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    I have just found one that would seem to do the trick. Now for a slightly more complicated question... Is there a way to set up the common event so that it requires not just the player to be touching that region, but for the player to be pressing a specific button? I want to set it up so that the transfer only happens if the player is attempting to "move off" of the current map. Thank you for your reply, that was very helpful. Also, Yanfly is a GOD. Just saying. I found his/her script to handle this, and a whole bunch of others. I can't wait to start experimenting with them... as soon as I have time to download them all. Also, is there a place where I can find a list of built-in variables, like say for the player's x and y coordinates, to use when scripting the common events?

4. Dalamar

Dalamar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Set up the event so that it has a nested conditional branch, 1st one checks for region id, 2nd checks for button being pressed.

5. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    I will give it a try, and if I have any other questions, I will pop back here. Thanks so much for your help, guys!

6. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    Finally figured out exactly how to handle the eventing to get the effect that I wanted. Thank you all so much; not only did I get what I was looking for, but it's going to set the foundation for a lot of other things, too.