Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So here is the thing, I have an NPC that I want to move to a different map when a control switch is turned on.

The thing is that this NPC is a pretty complex one, so I would really like to avoid having to remake the NPC. 

So I am asking if it is possible to move the event between maps rather than having a separate copy of the event in the different map.

I know I could do something like having two events that are the same, but then I would need to do a lot more variable work and stuff, but I could make the events turn on and off based on the variable and then that would kind of work but I would rather just have the event move back and forth.

Any and all help is welcomed.

Thanks.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Events belong to the map they are created on. You can't move them to other maps.

Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dang, i will just begin remaking them on the other maps I guess then.

Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
the problem with that is this isn't an event like a cut-scene, I need to make a npc to go inside when it is night time. that's all, so I was hoping I could do something such as have the npc move into the house (or another map) when a variable goes to true. The problem with this is I guess they cant do that, so in order to still get it to look like the npc has moved to the other map I have to have a replica of the npc inside the house, then when the variable comes up as true, the event outside turns off(or turns invisible to the player) and the one inside turns visible so the player can interact with them. The reason that this becomes a pain is because I have a relationship system already built into the game and I really didn't want to have to figure out a way to make sure if tracks the relationship points as the same character yet do this between two events or npc's. 

What if I did something like built the npc up as a common event and then only used the call function, that way I could have a conditional branch with 'if its day the npc is here, but if its night then the npc isn't ', then on the inside of the house I have a secondary event that also used the call functions through a conditional branch with the reverse set up.

Would that work or no.

again thank you already for all the help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you wanted to build the NPC's command list as if it didn't matter where they were, you could certainly do that.  But you would still need to create the event on each map, with the sprite, and set conditions to indicate when they're there and when they aren't.

Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
And I thought I had gotten so far.... Thank the gods I found this out while still working on the demo.

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It wasn't to show you about them acting like in a cutscene, it was to show you that they are not autonomous and they need to be per-map like Shaz was saying.

it's all a matter of variables and switches for when and where you want your NPCs to show up. 

In one of my Demos I have you friend wake you up after a dream sequence, she then talks and appears to go downstairs and appears to have changed maps. When you go down stairs you see her leaving your house, apearing that she has changed maps again.

Really it's just me moving her to a location that would be considered a map exit then changing the graphic on the event and changing a switch. The event on the next map is triggered by the switch and appears as if she move when it's really 2 separate events.

I even have a night section where all the NPCs are in their homes when previously they were all outside and about, this is the same thing on a much larger scale. about 10 events across several maps activating after 10 separate events on the town map were deactivated.

It's better to think of them as objects representing people rather than actual people in your development

Last edited by a moderator:

Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I understand that, I just wasn't sure if there was an easier way to do that. Again though the reason I was hoping for an easier way is because the NPC's are more than just a few bits of dialogue, but rather a complex evolving dialogue based on relationship points.

So if i could have avoided having to replicate them I would have wanted to...

Bust still thank you, I will be back later when I run into another wall.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will be porting my clone events script to MV soon (in fact I think someone else has already made a clone events plugin) if you think that might be useful.

I can't speak for the other one, but the way mine works is that you set up your "main" event on an unused map (one set aside just to hold "master" copies of events). Then on every map where you want that event to appear (even multiple times on a single map), you create a blank event and add a comment to indicate which event to clone. This copies the entire master event, all pages, conditions, etc, to the blank event.

Witiko88

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah I would love to see that. I have switched to using MV as it is close enough to ace that I can pick up where i left from. For now i will be just replicating them to try to get that to work. 

That said, i would really like to look more into your way of doing it with masters and such. I was gonna use the common event system but that proved fruitless when i realixed i cant have tabs on that, so kinda didnt work, and i didn't want to try haveing different pages of common events that they switch back and forth between. But again that you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Who's a fan of firearms? The 5 on the bottom row (not including the green laser ones) I made pretty recently. I plan for most of these to be in my project.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 165924.png
Doing RPG Maker News for 28th September 2021

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syke