Movie File Won't Play (Black Screen)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Sketcy-Sketch, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Sketcy-Sketch

Sketcy-Sketch Hypergraphic Veteran

Hello everyone, thanks for your time. ♥

(I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Haven't logged on for a long time--like, since RPGM-Ace sort of long time...)

Well, I've been working on a game and wanted to insert an opening video in MV (since I just bought it and have been playing around on it). First, I tried a webm video, but realized it needed to be an MP4 with an h.264 codec. So, I converted the video to the appropriate format, but when I try to play the scene, nothing happens. Is there something I possibly missed? I went to Event Editor > New > Tab 2 > Play Movie... > and selected the video. Is there something else I am supposed to do to make it play? I've been reading the forums and other people's questions, and I think I did everything right, but I wanted to double check. 

[​IMG]

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it. ♥

2. ragnawind

ragnawind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    webm is all that should be required for windows and mac deployent, for browser and android/iOS you need a webm and MP4 in H264. There might be some plug-ins that will let you expand the possible formats you can use to see if that will help the video play..

Sketcy-Sketch likes this.
  3. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, Skecy I remember you.

Have you tried with other videos? Maybe for whatever reason (bad converting, I dunno) that video in particular is causing trouble...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Sketcy-Sketch

Hello! Thanks so much for the quick responses! 

They were both very helpful. I deleted the old file and remade it in case it was corrupted. I re-made the original video and used VLC player this time to convert it--which came out in better quality. I discovered that there is a "test" option whenever you insert a video in the event editor. The webm video was the only one that worked successfully in the test window. I feel like I'm a little closer now, but when I pushed the play button to test it in-game, for some reason it still shows a black screen. 

@Nirwanda Yay! Nice to see familiar faces.  :)

test screen.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    Nirwanda likes this.
  5. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :o I'm familiar to you?

Didn't expected to, anyway. Sorry I can't be of more help and I hope you can figure out what's wrong soon. Good luck :)

6. ragnawind

ragnawind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have you tried to actually do a Play Test? For example, just make a new map and have the start position set there. Have an NPC tile to interact with to start the video and see if it runs then. For some reason, they Test function in the editor doesn't always work right for testing things, so I actually test thing manually with the playtest and changing start position. Normally I use a test map for this.

Otherwise, could you post a sample of the video, rather than a full video to see if anyone else can get it to work and see if there is a problem with the encoding. If the issue isn't replicated, it must be an issue somewhere in your game.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is the size of the video?

The engine can't play a video that is larger than its output screen, and that is rather small by default. You will not be able to play a video with (for example) 1024x768 without changing the screen size. If that is the case you should rerender the video with the screen size of your game.

8. Sketcy-Sketch

@Andar: Ah-ha! That was the problem! ♥ The video was larger than the game screen. That seems like an easy fix.

Thanks so much Nirwanda, ragnawind, and Andar for all your help! I really do appreciate it.

♫ Now, off to editing... ♫

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016