accha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi there, sorry in advance if this has been asked before!

I've just moved up from Lite to the real Ace for game encryption, but the audio and movie files aren't encrypted! This is really bad since some major game spoilers are in those. Now, I've checked for solutions and got the BGM encryption script from Ocedic, but is there any way to keep players from listening to the BGS/SEs or, at least, from watching the movie?

Thank you!

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
The sad truth is, nothing is safe. The only truly safe method is "not" showing your work to the public but that doesn't make logical sense, so sure you could use audio encryption from some of the script writers but your computer has to show it/play it for people to see and hear and that's where it would become vulnerable anyway. But I wouldn't dwell on these kinds of encryption methods anyway, the majority of the people here are respectful of one's work so you shouldn't really fear about it being stolen. Just notify your players not to touch your audio or movies and to wait for them to be played in-game to prevent any spoiler. It's the most you'd be able to do at the moment.

accha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aw, shucks. Thanks for the reply!

I'm not too worried about the players having the audio or movie since we're releasing that content in high quality for free later on. It'll be a bummer if someone snoops in the files and finds something they shouldn't before playing the game, but, well, nothing we can do about that, I guess. XD

Thanks again :)

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
No problem =)

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you're sole attempt is to avoid somebody spoiling themselves, well, don't try. Once enough people have played, they'll talk about it, tell others, put playthroughs on Youtube, etc.

Besides, if somebody wants to spoil the fun for themselves, they can't get mad about it afterwards.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
My audio encryption script encrypts music and does not allow players to listen to them before they reach it.

It encrypts all audio data, and does not have any restrictions like "ogg only" or "no support for ME or BGS".

All files are stored in the rgss3a archive and extracted only when needed (and deleted afterwards)

http://www.himeworks.com/2014/03/21/simple-audio-encryption/

Last edited by a moderator:

accha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
jwj Ahh wow that's a great script Tsukihime! I've added it to my game and I'll provide credit when announcing its release. Really, thank you so much! (ノ>▽<。)ノ

@Amerk haha very true! I'd love for people to give spoilers by talking about the game, really xD Still, the more I can do to keep the element of surprise, the greater impact the game will (hopefully) have.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wouldn't worry about audio or movie content spoiling a game, because the player has to hunt for it.  It's not directly accessible in game.

I'd be more careful with "interface spoilers."  For example, in Chrono Trigger, there is one "hidden" party member you can gain if you answer right in a certain scene.  But, before this, a shop sells items only that character can use, so it slightly "spoils" that you're about to get a new party member.

So, if you had, say, an in-game jukebox which could play these spoilers, I'd try to prevent those from showing up in the playlist until the players have encountered the tunes.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The script now supports movie files as well, so you can just move your Movies folder into the Data folder.

Lelarep

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My audio encryption script encrypts music and does not allow players to listen to them before they reach it.

It encrypts all audio data, and does not have any restrictions like "ogg only" or "no support for ME or BGS".

All files are stored in the rgss3a archive and extracted only when needed (and deleted afterwards)

http://www.himeworks.com/2014/03/21/simple-audio-encryption/
The only limitation of this is that the RGSS3A archrive can still be decrypted with the tool everyone knows is floating around out there.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only limitation of this is that the RGSS3A archrive can still be decrypted with the tool everyone knows is floating around out there.
Any encryption can be broken, given enough time, especially if it's a default encryption that's used the same way each time for each game somebody uses it for. Short of allowing somebody to create their own encryption methods for each game, there's not much you can do. There are obviously better encryptions available, but nothing that is 100% secured.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been working on making a simple sprite frame system. And I'm really happy with the progress.
ZAyFw65.gif
Sketching on Milanote the new script of the system I plan to implement for VNMaker. This is making me learning Coffeescript through a crash-course I never thought I would ever take in my meager career as writer, but brings back fond memories when I was forced to learn RUBY for RPGMaker XP back in those years. Oh dear... :LZSooo:
For some reason, I found this is kinda stylist
ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N0Name