Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi RPG Maker gurus! I am not sure if there is a plugin already like this, or even if it is an in-game function that I have missed as I'm still learning, but I was hoping there is a solution to this or even it could be a good idea for a future plugin:

From what I've gathered, the default MZ battle system has the battlers and the enemies stationary between turns and do not move gradually across the battlefield to get within range of one another, they just seem to dart across the battlefield and instantly attack one another all within the same move, and then return to their original stationary location.

SO, I was hoping, that in the likeness of the classic games: Lunar The Silver Star and Lunar Eternal Blue, that there be a battle system that has a better range capacity, where the enemies and the battlers must move across the battlefield to get within attack range and then be able to attack. I believe it would add a good deal of strategy. If there is already an in-game setting that does this, or a plugin I dunno about, please do tell! Thank you for your time and consideration! Arpy_G

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yanfly's plugins can be used to do most of that through action sequences in MV. If you want to do positioning that matters, there is some of that in the suite too. I'm fairly certain visutella has released enough MZ plug-ins to do the same thing, maybe even better.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's plugins can be used to do most of that through action sequences in MV.
The OP is using MZ, and since plugins of any complexity are not inherently compatible between the systems, this is not really a helpful suggestion (it also doesn't work - action sequences don't provide any positioning effects beyond moving the battlers).

As of the beginning of April, there was no functionality for Rows in the VisuStella library, which would be the only thing in there that could do a bit of what you're looking for (but only in a vague, bootleg-y way).

I've never seen anyone implement anything like that system on RPG Maker. It would involve re-coding everything from the Attack skill up to be checking the on-screen distance between battlers to determine legal targets, and then you'd have to figure out when/how you want the battlers to move and also implement that.

Basically, it's not a simple undertaking, especially if you don't have the coding knowledge to tackle it. You might be able to commission someone.

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The OP is using MZ, and since plugins of any complexity are not inherently compatible between the systems, this is not really a helpful suggestion (it also doesn't work - action sequences don't provide any positioning effects beyond moving the battlers).

As of the beginning of April, there was no functionality for Rows in the VisuStella library, which would be the only thing in there that could do a bit of what you're looking for (but only in a vague, bootleg-y way).

I've never seen anyone implement anything like that system on RPG Maker. It would involve re-coding everything from the Attack skill up to be checking the on-screen distance between battlers to determine legal targets, and then you'd have to figure out when/how you want the battlers to move and also implement that.

Basically, it's not a simple undertaking, especially if you don't have the coding knowledge to tackle it. You might be able to commission someone.
For the thoughts and intel and feedback on the matter; thank you @ATT_Turan !

I understand. I'm beginning to realize a lot of the RPGs I ever played are the way RPG Maker MZ has it's battle movement system in their likeness, and it's all good. I'm gonna try and tackle a Javascript course this year, so hopefully I can figure out a plugin down the road for this idea.

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
There is Himes grid battle system. But I thiiink it's in infinite beta. I might be wrong.

I think I also saw a Japanese plugin that removed turns entirely and had actors and enemies attack at once. Might work with a hotkey command plugin of some sort.

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There is Himes grid battle system. But I thiiink it's in infinite beta. I might be wrong.

I think I also saw a Japanese plugin that removed turns entirely and had actors and enemies attack at once. Might work with a hotkey command plugin of some sort.
Thank you for the suggestion @Weremole ! I'll check out the Himes grid battle system plugin. I was thinking it would be like an invisible grid / tile system aligned to a battleback somehow.

Last edited:

Arpy_G

JRPGs are life
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the tip @Htlaets ! I'll peek through the MV plugin preview videos to see if I find something similar that hopefully comes out on MZ

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Create MiniMaps, Sprites for MV Enemies, & Aethereal Plane Battlebacks | RPG Maker News #74

Vtubers Vs MOTHER.png

This might be my next project. You like it?
I'm off to search the master script list for my skill issue. HOORAY! FUN!
Fun fact: Digimon is an isekai :kaoswt2:
The problem with being a perfectionist is that you are never done with something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekonix