Moving Forward - New Animations!

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, Mar 4, 2019.

1. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    A standing dizzy/drunk/under sleep spell animation?

But overall I don't think these are must haves...tbh I don't even think that climbing and drinking are must haves. I look at the sheet and think to myself that it is all I want/need.

2. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Paz - Good suggestion! I did add a fair number of animations/idles that can certainly be used to add a lot of "standing around" variety.

@mardin - That's also a great suggestion, a woozy/dizzy idle animation. I should have thought of that! :)

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. aston00

aston00 C'wendia, Spirits In Black Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello ,
    First I want to say thank you for all you do for this community, you are truley appreciated. I noticed that number 35 for the slashing annimation looks like the older one of your previous characters. Would it be possible to make that slashing pose different. Maybe from right to left rather then down? And I think a handshake annimation would be awesome.
    Thank you kindly,
    And again you are appreciated.

4. Risen1921

Risen1921 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What about a swimming animation?

5. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Is there an estimation on when a version/ a character creator of this will be ready? Is it weeks, months or half a year?

I have looked into the Mythos Pack and it's great, but the premade characters are not for me. I need a character creator that at least lets me change the heads/haircuts (we talked about it, Head-Upper-Lower Body would be ideal for even more variation but that's on you and if you can manage that amount of work) and of course weapons so that the protagonist can find/use more than just one.

6. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @mardin You will need to ask our mutual friend Dekita about that :) Though I suspect there should at least be something to show within a couple of weeks (but don't quote me on that).

Right now, looking at the following for character pieces:
    • Base (the near-to-nude basic body)
    • Top clothing (shirts, tunics, coats, dresses, etc)
    • Bottom clothing (pants, footwear, etc)
    • Item Mainhand (weapons primarily)
    • Item Offhand (weapons, shields, dual-wield weapons)
    • Large Accessory (like a cloak that would fit over the rest of the clothing, these pieces will be more rare)
    • Head (hair, hats, masks, etc)
    @Risen - Good suggestion, but hard to implement. When swimming, usually part of the figure is obfuscated under the water (blurry, fading out, what-have-you), which makes this a much trickier thing to implement. I will look into it, but I am not optimistic.

@aston00 - It is a remastered version (better, smoother) of a downward two-handed slash. I can certainly see about adding a side-swing as well for two-handed weapons.

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  7. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

The characters and animations aren't the only thing I am working on. I've been working on some new interior wall templates (can be used for exteriors, too, of course) that are much easier to snap together and build rooms/structures out of.

Across the top you can see all 10 basic wall template pieces (the tall post-looking piece 2nd from right is actually 2 pieces, though can also be used as one), which can be arranged to make pretty much any shape room and all of the pieces fit snugly and seamlessly with one another when snapped to a 32x32 grid (even though they are not 32x32, obviously!)

similarly, the next 3 objects are the ground floor templates both with and without fading shadow overlays. I prefer the fading shadow look because it makes the floor blend in better with a black background, but you can choose not to use it and go for a more contrasting look (or make edits and do whatever you want with it). There is both an orthogonal tile and a 45o rotated tile, both occupy a 64x64 space, with the fading shadow portions making them a little bit larger on the Y axis. In spite of being larger than 64x64, the shadow pieces still fit seamlessly with the rest of the objects since when placing them down, there is the perfect amount of overlap (all of the floors in the little "rooms" on the bottom are the shadowed versions, I didn't bother with the non-shadowed ones).

There's still some pieces I might add to the overall template, like half-wall pieces perhaps, or doorways, but I am pretty happy with how these have come out and how easy they work together, which I think most folk will be glad about.

Nekohime1989 and BadLittleSeed like this.
  8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    And an example after I finish drawing the texture over the template. Threw together some random walls to see how'd they do. I will also make wall versions that include the fading shadow that they can similarly blend in to the black background as well.

9. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Holy jeez man. Where's the Patreon? : P You are really going all out with your resources.

10. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @PsychicToaster - I want to get the base templates up and working first before I do that. I want to be able to actually produce things for folk right out of the gate, instead of having them waste a couple of months while I get it all figured out :)

[​IMG]

More work on the base templates for interiors, now including partial-sized wall segments that allow for the construction of door frames (this also includes the basic orthogonal views as well (N, E, S, W, not shown in this picture), and I've also whipped up templates for doors as well. Doors are animated in a binary state (open or closed) which works very well for pretty much all directions.

If I get it together enough, I could make a roof template that allows for the design of roofs and viola, complete interior and exterior tiles for pretty much any kind of building. That is a bit more complex, though, and isn't the foremost concern. I want to finish up the initial animations (pretty much almost all suggestions have been implemented - if there are more suggestions for animations, do let me know) and tweak the interior templates (and add stairs). I am hoping the new character creator software will be done soon (within a few weeks), so keeping my fingers crossed.

11. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    At this point you're essentially creating everything I need to make a true Ultima inspired game : P. Provided the roof tiles work out xD. But I can appreciate your wait on making a Patreon when you've got to nail these down first ^^

12. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Next up, tackled stairs in all direction, so got templates for those. Need to do some tweaking to them so that their placement will be more exact "out of the box" so you hopefully won't have to fiddle with them much, if at all; and I want to lessen the shadows from the right-facing stairs and add a bit more lighting to the rest of them. I also want to make the diagonal door template a couple pixels taller to match the front-facing door.

The rest of the structure shown above was snapped together quickly and easily on the 32x32 grid, no needing to fiddle with the placement of anything.

Dungeonmind, mardin and GolfHacker like this.
  13. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Juuuust about finished with the first main set of templates for interiors (and once I figure out roofs, you can use them to make seamless transitions from exteriors to interiors!)

I spent more time than I thought I would really going after the stairs and making a whole bunch of them to figure out what would be most useful. You can do quite a lot with them, beyond just using them for stairs, now. Still got some tweaking to do with the NE and NW facing stairs, but it doesn't really matter much because once a texture is drawn over the templates, you can't really see those little imperfections.

You might have noticed that I have given everything depth, like they are lego bricks instead of flattened 2D tiles. I think this will help visually understand what you can do with some of the pieces and perhaps help come up with creative things you can do!

14. HasdrubalBarca

HasdrubalBarca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Those look really nice. I'm glad you're doing proper support for that type of perspective, looks really great. And if you do add customizable roofs than it's that much better since it would be possible to make one single map with all the insides of buildings. Are you planning to include these in future packs?

15. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

After drawing texture over the templates, I snapped together a basic structure pretty quickly (plus some new template pieces for some funky architectural flourishes). Threw that on top of some ground textures and threw in a few trees from the Medieval Expansion pack to see what it would look like. Still needs a few tweeks, but the primary limitation with these tile blocks will be your imagination. They really do snap together very well, so they should be much easier to use than previous iterations.

@HasdrubalBarca - Roof templates are definitely on the list, and I began some preliminary work on them. You can already make flat roofs for your buildings, so there's that at least for the moment :) But roofs are definitely being worked on.

All of these new tiles and animations and character pieces and all that goodness will be available first to Patreons once I get that up and running (soon!), and then once I have enough material to warrant a pack, then I will assemble a pack out of the resources created.

16. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It might be a little late for me to bring this up and I don't know if you care, but for an RPG perspective the angle of the wall is only 22.5 instead of 45. So a rise over run of 1:2 instead of 1:1.

17. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    o_O are you sure that isn't just a screenshot from the Ultima Online enhanced client? Lmao. God man, it's great looking!

18. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Also working on new cliff and mountain chunks. Using a similar method as the wall pieces and going with "3D" style blocks instead of flattened tilesheets, you should be able to slap together some interesting rock formations pretty easily (again, 32x32 grid will snap these into place). Given the nature of the rock tiles, they are more forgiving if you do not align them perfectly - in fact it would probably yield better results to have them not align perfectly to give them a more naturally chaotic look :) Only got a small handful of the cliff templates thus far, but they are looking pretty swell!

Forgive the image quality, this is zoomed out and while I was trying to adjust how much of the picture I wanted to crop, my software crashed so I took a quick screenshot before it closed so I wouldn't have to completely redo the whole thing :)

19. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    *Attempts to throw money through monitor and into Jesse's house*

xD I can't even say anything else. Just too excited(and mildly impatient because working with these will be incredible) lol.

20. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Ok, better picture this time! The cliff pieces can make both short and tall (as tall as you want really, but shortest is about the height of a single wall) cliffs with multiple "chunks" you can use to round off edges. Going to add a few more pieces to make plateaus and such, but right now you can make all sorts of interesting rock formations. In the picture above, I made a little structure (not super excited about the texture, going to tool around with that until I like it more, and I want to edit out the hard edges to make it feel a bit more natural) and surrounded it with some cliff chunks. Threw in a couple of ground textures and assets from some of the Medieval packs. Everything is shaping up nicely.