Moving Forward - New Animations!

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, Mar 4, 2019.

1. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Amazing. I meant to ask, any chance of rounded wall tile pieces for things like towers/circular rooms? I suppose you'd need chunks of varying size to make different sized circles, but essentially breaking up a circle into 4 pieces would maybe work. If not, just using diagonals would be fine. If not, the angled pieces you've already made would do the trick as it is.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, those shouldn't be too much of an issue. I got some ideas regarding them, but they will be a little further along down the road, still working on the basics :)

3. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What do you have planned in terms of texture variety for the modular assets? Like wood or other kinds of stone walls, different kinds of floors, etc? Just curious. I brought it up once before as well but for the cliffs, is there a chance at anything more "earthen" instead of solid stone? For building eroded hillsides(or just hillsides in general xD)

4. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    There will be a great variety in terms of the modular walls and floors and such. Wood, stone, plaster, brick, etc. Tons of possibilities :)

For cliffs/hills, this should be doable, I just need to make a more gradual slope is all :)

5. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

First look at some of the new character creator items!

So, the main differences between the old character creator pieces and these new ones are 1.) these ones are higher resolution and bigger in size (700x700 pixels vs 512x512) and 2.) the pieces are less disparate. Instead of separate boots, pants, shirt, gauntlets, etc, here it is just separate top, bottom, and base. There will be other layers as well for hair, headware, weapons, special accessories and the sort. This will allow for me to actually produce more pieces and not get super bogged down with tons of really minute pieces.

So right now, each character piece contains 2063 frames of animation, 24 faces (700x700, easy to scale down), 24 busts (700x700) and 24 paperdolls (700x700) - the faces, busts, and paperdolls all depict different poses, emotions, etc. The 2063 animation frames span 4 separate sprite sheets.

This sounds like a lot, and indeed it probably is, but the new software will basically handle all of that stuff for you so you can focus on just making the character you want with the pieces (still being worked on!)

BloodletterQ likes this.
  6. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Fantastic. The bust looks a lot more stylized too : D

7. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sounds ambitious. Hope you don’t overwhelm yourself.

My suggestion is that you think of outfits for basic classes, and maybe vary them slightly as you build variants for them. Think a few upgraded looks. IE a soldier class that can get a more threatening look or have a paladin-type appearance.

Hope I’m not being nit picky, but is that underwear even accurate?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 2:38 AM
  8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @BloodletterQ - Hah, is the underwear accurate for what? :)

The bases are multi-purpose and have outfits that stretch across genres and eras, so I went with something that was pretty basic, plain, and most importantly... stayed out of the way of clothing :)

My new methods of creating the content is definitely more refined now. Took a few months to really upgrade my workflow and technique and it paid off, so overwhelming myself is not really an issue (I know when to throw in the towel, and after 9 years, 24 resource pack releases, 6 full games finished, among other projects finished, and only 1 project scrapped, I know where my limit is pretty well!). The key to the large quantity of resources is automated, repeatable actions. There is no way I (or anyone on this planet really) would go through all several thousand frames of animation and all 72 busts/paperdolls/faces and make the appropriate adjustments, edits, etc. A certain amount of that is inevitable, some things just need the human touch, but I got the workflow to a spot where I can spend probably less time producing a single character piece with ALL of the stated resources than before with far fewer resources.

Definitely won't be churning out like a dozen a day pieces or anything like that, but a few per week is certainly not a problem. And I do like your idea of basing some of them around class archetypes, I was thinking along similar lines at least for some of the stuff. But I am going to take it slow and gradually build up the pieces.

Here's another look at some of the paperdoll pieces:
    [​IMG]

This is 1/4 of the total poses for the paperdolls. There are similar versions for both busts and faces as well. Both male and female bases have all 24.

The Stranger and GolfHacker like this.
  9. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Whatever you've done with the lighting render and resolution is amazing man. The character base, the hair, the clothing all look so much more crisp and high res than before. They also look like they've had some kind of stylized filter passed over them. The paperdoll render looks *almost* like it was drawn as concept art.

Maybe we'll finally get some proper mage stuff : P bahaha. Sorry, bustin' your chops over those after hanging around here for a few years ^^

BloodletterQ likes this.
  10. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    The first picture containing nothing but new stuff (no elements from any of the released resource packs). I think I can finally be happy with the first texture for the modular building pieces. Still needs some tweaks and I need to fix the SW-facing stairs, but overall they are nice. Going to do some edits to some of the mountain chunks too - and yes, make another set that is more gradual to make hills :) Also in the picture, two characters using the new character creator pieces.

@PsychicToaster - I will make it a point to do some mage stuff right now :)

11. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bahaha <3 don't listen to me Im just makin jokes.

That screenshot is just incredible

12. Gustavo_Br

Gustavo_Br Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm delighted with these new resources!

13. BloodletterQ

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just hate how on-touch encounters can only go in the four main directions...

14. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    A look at a few more of the paperdoll poses and a new outfit.

@PsychicToaster - :p

15. Gustavo_Br

Gustavo_Br Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, considering that you are starting to work on the outfits, I made a compilation that I found interesting and that in my vision would add a lot to the packages.
    - Sheathed sword
    - Shield on the back
    - Backpacks and bags
    - More bows
    - More two-handed axes
    - Archer Hood (English Style)
    - Winter clothes
    [​IMG]

16. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    LOL. Very nice! Can't be a wizard without a big hat. Or a staff. Sometimes even a book or an orb, but that's a stretch. Hat and staff are definitely crucial.

BloodletterQ likes this.
  17. BloodletterQ

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wonder if we can expect monsters. Even if you start off with undead or orcs...

I think you need to plan out in advance so that the collection won’t be incomplete and you don’t burn out.

18. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Yes, monsters will be made as well, though at a bit of a slower rate. They tend to be more time-consuming due to the need for a lot of unique animations for non-humanoids. Humanoid monsters (orcs and such) are a fair bit easier, and will follow the same mould as the human characters so that equipment can be freely swapped. Right now I am just building up a small bit of everything for the upcoming Patreon launch so that folk can have some neat things right away.

19. PsychicToaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It would be kinda weird to have 8 direction attacks for characters but not have any creatures with at minimum 8 direction attacks, let alone any other kinds of animations.

EDIT:Jesse posted right as I was typing this out in response to BloodletterQ xD

20. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    To clarify a bit, the monsters will also have 8 directions for all of their animations, and will include all the pertinent animations for movement, attacking, getting hit, death, etc. They will definitely not have anywhere near the number of animations as humanoids typically, but more than any other 2D monster resource you will find anywhere else :)