Moving Pictures and How many colours is too many?

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone.

I'm about to have a crack at Parallax mapping for the first time, kind of struggling to find a nice rounded tutorial from start to image, that isn't just visuals to music, and doesn't use outdated script, but found a few so hopefully should be able to make it through.

EDIT: Ok a lot of the scripts I am coming across for parallax mapping don't seem to exist anymore :( . Has anyone got any suggestions?

I was going to use Yami's Overlaying Script (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/258-overlay-mapping/) for instance but the download links no longer work.

What I wanted to ask is, what constraints on colour are there in an RPG maker game? What will look good and not take up too much memory? Still fit with the pixel look? Keep it in 8 bit?

I also would like to try some moving picture effects. I have tried the 'spotlight' picture effect before and sadly the script nearly killed my whole game :( couldn't get it to work at all (but that's for another topic). What I would like to test is things like fog and lighting through leaves moving picture overlays.

Anyone able to help with these?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All of Yami's posts contain a link to use if the main ones are down.  It's this one.

The overlay script is in the section 'Old Ace Scripts' (or something very like that) along with a number of others.

For fog and leaf overlays, try Shaz's Multi Layer Fog script.  It's here

Not quite sure what you mean by 'spotlight', as people use the term in slightly different ways.  If you mean the dark screen except over the player sort of thing, then Galv Visibility Range script might be what you're looking for.

For the colours, try a forum search for palette.  This has been discussed before.

Last edited by a moderator:

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
A pixel uses 32 bits (8 bit per channel) memory space (except transitions, I think). But if you want to save disk space, you can use tools like PNGOUT or OptiPNG to reduce the size of PNG files.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please keep separate questions in separate threads. One for script requests, one for feedback on use of colours. They belong in different places, and two threads will make it easier to tell when one or both have been solved.

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Shaz

Sorry about that, I'll concentrate this thread more to the Parallax mapping as that is my priority at the moment. (ksjp17, thank you for the links, I will check them out and give them a go).

Additionally, thank you for the links to Yami's scripts. Do you know any good, concise tutorials for using it? Or a still working demo I can check out? I just can't get my head around what I am actually supposed to do with this script, eg. how does the map and overlay combined? The Graphis/Overlay folder isn't showing up in my database, I don't even really understand what the switches do.

I am so close to cracking this haha I've got the base working but it would be nice to be able to have it so I can walk under trees etc.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Graphis/Overlay folder isn't showing up in my database
Folders don't show up in the database, so I'm not sure quite what you mean here.  Line 30 tells you to "Create a folder in Graphics and name it Overlay"  You put your overlays into that folder, with the naming conventions that Yami explains in lines 32-41.

I don't even really understand what the switches do.
These are explained in lines 48 and subsequent.  If you're not sure about switches, there is a very good tutorial in the excellent compilation that Andar has made.  You can find his thread here

how does the map and overlay combined?
They don't "combine".   You put the overlay in the folder that you have created, named correctly.  If you do that and set up your switches as the script instructs you, then it will automatically check to see if there is an overlay for a particular map.  If there is, it will load it up.

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Folders don't show up in the database, so I'm not sure quite what you mean here.  Line 30 tells you to "Create a folder in Graphics and name it Overlay"  You put your overlays into that folder, with the naming conventions that Yami explains in lines 32-41.

These are explained in lines 48 and subsequent.  If you're not sure about switches, there is a very good tutorial in the excellent compilation that Andar has made.  You can find his thread here

They don't "combine".   You put the overlay in the folder that you have created, named correctly.  If you do that and set up your switches as the script instructs you, then it will automatically check to see if there is an overlay for a particular map.  If there is, it will load it up.
Sorry I meant the resource manager but have realised that the Overlay folder is not supposed to show up there now.

I have FINALLY got my overlay layer to show in my game, followed the instructions in the script as best as I could but I didn't find them particularly user friendly/concise and I know how switches generallywork so I do not feel that is the issue, though those are event switches...are script switches a totally different kettle of fish. (The post by Andar you provided is pretty big, it's difficult to know which portion you are specifically directing me to).

I names my overlay layer (so the one with trees etc) as 'ground1-1.png' as the instructions said it showed when the game was ran, however, my character still walks over the top of it all rather than below it. If I try to name the file as 'parallax1-1.png' or change the number variable on the end etc it doesn't show at all. Still really quite confused by this.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You might like to pm a mod and get this thread moved to script support, because you need help with a specific script, rather than asking for a script.

I've never used this particular one, all I know is what the script says.  I think you will get better answers once the thread has been moved (if the mods agree that it does need moving - maybe I'm wrong).

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You might like to pm a mod and get this thread moved to script support, because you need help with a specific script, rather than asking for a script.

I've never used this particular one, all I know is what the script says.  I think you will get better answers once the thread has been moved (if the mods agree that it does need moving - maybe I'm wrong).
I actually managed to crack at, thank goodness :) .

I am now having an issue with sound (typical) but I'll start a new thread for that if I can't figure it out. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dev stream today, come on by and ask questions about rpg maker!
Fun fact: If your story introduces a variety of different races, the "human race" will automatically become the most corrupt race in general.
Finally finished my late start entry for the jam. Now. I. Sleep.
Just made 3 easy, simple and small MZ plugins today(12 hours straight), and I never thought I could ever do this.
Now I feel myself being very productive, even though I know I'm just utterly flattering myself lol
Mind: "I have cool ideas! Let's make it real!

Body: "You wanna make sumthin? I'm in."

Eyes: "Go to sleep, go to sleep."

*Sleep*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totolo5656