Moving problem

nudino

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello everybody

I've got a problem with rpg maker vx rtp.

Every single game has the exact same issue: my character immediately starts moving left until it hits the limit, if I press right it starts moving upwards, then I end in the top left corner unable to move anywhere...

Anyone got any idea about what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first thing that comes to mind is that you have a malfunctionimg keyboard that has the key handling the left movement stuck.

The second thing I think may be causing your problem are scripts. Did you add scripts to your RM or are you simply using the default?

The third thing that comes to mind is that you have a parallel process that moves your character continuously to the left. However, that would not explain why your character can still change directions when press another key.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One game had a similar problem and it was solved by unplugging the xbox controller.

Do you have a controller on your PC?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far as I know, this can only be caused by one of two things:

1) defective keyboard (one case including a keyboard that simply had too much dirt in it from eating cookies above it)

2) you have installed a driver that accesses an very old (and no longer needed) windows API.

This is almost always the case if you installed old drivers for graphical tablets (modern windows doesn't need them, they are needed only for Win9x). Could also be used by some older controllers

In the case of graphic tablets, disconnecting the tablet does not help - the driver needs to be removed, and the connected tablet will work without the driver.

And please, don't make two topics for the same purpose, wait until someone answers

nudino

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So far as I know, this can only be caused by one of two things:

1) defective keyboard (one case including a keyboard that simply had too much dirt in it from eating cookies above it)

2) you have installed a driver that accesses an very old (and no longer needed) windows API.

This is almost always the case if you installed old drivers for graphical tablets (modern windows doesn't need them, they are needed only for Win9x). Could also be used by some older controllers

In the case of graphic tablets, disconnecting the tablet does not help - the driver needs to be removed, and the connected tablet will work without the driver.

And please, don't make two topics for the same purpose, wait until someone answers
I'm sorry for the double topic, the browser was loading the first one, then I accidentally closed it, so I checked if it had been loaded anyway which didn't, so I loaded the second one, again sorry;

For what concerns causes of all this and these two solutions:

1) I play tons of other games and it seems to be perfectly working, so I don't think it's faulty;

2) I've got bamboo dock installed, I'll try uninstalling it and we'll see...

Also, I had MotioninJoy to connect the ps3 controller to pc, but uninstalling it didn't change anything...

EDIT: Nothing, uninstalled bamboo dock, wacom drivers and motioninjoy, still got that problem could it be a rtp problem?...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You MAY have tons of other games ... are they RPG Maker games? If they're not, you could have millions of other games and it wouldn't give any clue to the problem.

Game controllers are the most common cause of this issue that I've ever seen. It's not related to your game, and reinstalling the engine won't make any difference either.

nudino

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You MAY have tons of other games ... are they RPG Maker games? If they're not, you could have millions of other games and it wouldn't give any clue to the problem.

Game controllers are the most common cause of this issue that I've ever seen. It's not related to your game, and reinstalling the engine won't make any difference either.
But if it was a keyboard malfunction issue wouldn't it affect every other game? I'm just asking, I don't know exactly how it works, so...

Anyway I've uninstalled every single controller driver but the ones of my roccat mouse and roccat headset, could they be the problem?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But if it was a keyboard malfunction issue wouldn't it affect every other game?
Not exactly, it has to do with how windows works and compatibility to old commands.
Any device in windows just sends a message around when it's activated "X has been signalled". Because Windows tries to remain backward-compatible but at the same time improoves its functions with every new version, those signals sometimes go into several different ways at the same time.

All programs only read the messages on those "buses" that were considered current when they were programmed and ignore messages on older transfer ways. Ace is relatively old and uses some older methods to access the game controllers that were never intended to handle multiple input. So if there is multiple input, that often results in undetected movement commands from other drivers.

You can solve this by removing the other old drivers if windows has included new drivers for those devices - as done in the case of many graphic tablets and game controllers.

If you need that old driver because windows has no new driver, then you can only use either program, not both at the same time.

If you don't find the critical old driver, then it might also be that our windows or one of the programs had been damaged. Try reinstalling from a new download in that case.

nudino

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Not exactly, it has to do with how windows works and compatibility to old commands.

Any device in windows just sends a message around when it's activated "X has been signalled". Because Windows tries to remain backward-compatible but at the same time improoves its functions with every new version, those signals sometimes go into several different ways at the same time.

All programs only read the messages on those "buses" that were considered current when they were programmed and ignore messages on older transfer ways. Ace is relatively old and uses some older methods to access the game controllers that were never intended to handle multiple input. So if there is multiple input, that often results in undetected movement commands from other drivers.

You can solve this by removing the other old drivers if windows has included new drivers for those devices - as done in the case of many graphic tablets and game controllers.

If you need that old driver because windows has no new driver, then you can only use either program, not both at the same time.

If you don't find the critical old driver, then it might also be that our windows or one of the programs had been damaged. Try reinstalling from a new download in that case.
Alright, thanks for the explanation, so now I'll try checking driver updates.

The thing is when I play those games there's no other program opened, I don't know if this helps...

Where could I find drivers and their versions?

Ps: you talked about old windows, if I run games with compatibility for older windows would it help?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ace should be set to XP-Compatibility for best results - the drivers are listed in window's device manager

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I stumbled upon 2 articles about why time goes faster as we age, and how to "slow down time".
Check them out, very interesting read. :D
Faster Time
Slower Time
Anyone can recommend a good gaming mouse? My mouse wheel has given up. Last mouse was steel series diablo iii edition (I know, it's been a while)
And then I figured out a way to doing a "regular animation" that's affected by PIXI particles. So now each frame of the animation gets particle effects. Soon my dreams of a world without QSprite will be realized. :kaopride:
Currently every NPC in my RPG gets a name, its kinda useless to name all, but Its also cool, somehow.
Biggest prob is to come up with different names. xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajohac685