Lunawolfcomics

The Omega
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys so I read an interesting article the other day about how most RPG's use MP. I happen to like the use of MP as it's

something I've gotten used to associating it with RPG genres. But I also like when games have some originality and use some sort of different mechanic or name. What's your guys views and opinions on this? Are you pro MP or think it's overused? :)

-JAD

Last edited by a moderator:

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Using a different MP name is nice... like Ragna... or Reigin... Arakhai... etc. Same goes with HP... you can call it something you want to be more original. I don't like the usual HP, MP or TP myself.

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's all about familiarity. RPGs majority grew up on an MP resource for abilities/magic, which is a numerical integer that usually has a maximum amount that grows with progression, along with growing costs of the abilities/magics. Having this kind of resource, whether you call it MP or something else, helps keep players comfortable with your game because it's probably relate-able with hundreds of other RPGs they've played. (or not even RPGs) They'll see multiple skills in your game costing a universal numerical resource value and think "Okay this is basically my MP". With that said, they'll immediately presume how to handle skill costs and items that recover this resource.

The MP resource has become a staple in gaming. It's like a brand.

Of course there are plenty of other resource systems invented by many other games and genres that can be good to use if designed well. Another popular resource type is mining/lumber that has become a brand for Real Time Strategy titles like Warcraft and Starcraft, where you send Worker Units to harvest resources from specific points on a map which you use to build other units, particularly ones that can fight your enemies.

Mettool

Weenie Hut Jr.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's really contextual for me and definitely goes on a case-by-case basis. I don't find the usual HP/MP names to be inherinty offensive or trite. Especially in games that do not have storylines involving some mystical, magic resource, in which case it would be wise to weave it into the plot as to why your characters are using "Crystal Overdrive" or whatever you want to call it.

For games that don't need that kind of justification, MP is perfectly fine. It's easy-to-identify and most of your players will immediately know what it is and what it's used for. Like a jump button in a platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Apparently I'm a grandpa now.

20220128_181216.jpg20220128_181227.jpg
Sales Goal of Learn RPG Maker MV at 64% now! :kaopride:
When I was in the hospital I did actually have a nurse that was funny, did all these extra nice things for me and said she liked me. So you know what that means. That will be the last time I'll hear from her.
Anyone here ever confronted a never-ending loading screen? Took me 3 hours to realize the problem was the font format :yswt:
Ah, the problems a noob runs into...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Limox