Stand26

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I recently had the idea for my game, where by the main character comes across a door that has three locks. In order to unlock this door; he has to explore a mine and gather three 'magical essences' that will in turn unlock the three locks, so that he can advance through the door and on to the next map. 

I am yet to discover a way to make this multi lock door puzzle work... Is there anyone out there that can help? :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depending on what exactly you want to do, you could either use variables in the condition or conditional branches checking for everything.

However, you need to tell us for which maker you want the solution before we can help you: you posted this in VX, but your profiles says you're using VX Ace - that are two different makers.

Fox420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Personally I'd do variables, just have the items when gained add +1 to the variable set. Then have the door have equal to 3 of that variable.

Stand26

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Personally I'd do variables, just have the items when gained add +1 to the variable set. Then have the door have equal to 3 of that variable.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you could either use variables in the condition or conditional branches checking for everything.

However, you need to tell us for which maker you want the solution before we can help you: you posted this in VX, but your profiles says you're using VX Ace - that are two different makers.

Ooops! Firstly I use RPG Maker VX Ace.. I suddenly remembered that I should have mentioned that after I posted. Thankfully you guys had already answered! XD

How would I set up the door using variables? I am new to using them. I have tried it with conditional branches but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Ace Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Follow the link in my signature to the tutorials, especially the "Variables Guide".

Variables are one of the most important parts if you want to make a game with any quest or puzzle more complex than a "go there...", and you need to understand them. Just telling you an isolated solution for this specific case will not really help you...

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Andar seems to have ninja'd me right as I was moving this topic ...

You would use variables if the order of the items doesn't matter, and they have no significance other than being a key to open a door. Each time the player gets this 'magical essence' add +1 to a variable. In your door event, create a conditional branch that checks if this variable is 3 or greater than. if true, open the door, if false, tell the player to collect more.

Try out the Variables Guide to understand them some more.

Stand26

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Andar seems to have ninja'd me right as I was moving this topic ...

You would use variables if the order of the items doesn't matter, and they have no significance other than being a key to open a door. Each time the player gets this 'magical essence' add +1 to a variable. In your door event, create a conditional branch that checks if this variable is 3 or greater than. if true, open the door, if false, tell the player to collect more.

Try out the Variables Guide to understand them some more.
The way in which I want this set up is that the player has to find a red, blue and green essence in order to unlock the three locks for the door. How would I go about that?

Stand26

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've moved this thread to Ace Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Follow the link in my signature to the tutorials, especially the "Variables Guide".

Variables are one of the most important parts if you want to make a game with any quest or puzzle more complex than a "go there...", and you need to understand them. Just telling you an isolated solution for this specific case will not really help you...
Thanks but for some reason your guide isn't opening when I downloaded it onto my Windows 10 PC.. Are there any other ways to learn?

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stand26, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You need to download WinRAR to unpack the file.

While you may want the player to find them in order, it doesn't seem to be a requirement to open the door (to 'place' the red essence in first, then the green then the blue etc.), so you would still go with the variable option, unless I am mistaken.

Stand26

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Stand26, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You need to download WinRAR to unpack the file.

While you may want the player to find them in order, it doesn't seem to be a requirement to open the door (to 'place' the red essence in first, then the green then the blue etc.), so you would still go with the variable option, unless I am mistaken.
My mistake! 

I think I might have managed to sort out my problem. Thank you everyone for your help! =)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still suggest playing the variables guide for a better understanding of them, it is easy to follow :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Change of gears, WoP is still on going, GAN would be for a long future. Personal issues and studies keep going, HOWEVER, i recognised I started WoP badly and i needed to start from scratch from tilesetting!! Happy RPG Making Everyone!!!
Come join us while we play this fabulous game, Kindred Novel, by Birdbunch. We'll be checking out 2 hours today and 2 more tomorrow! Starting at 4pm EST
Going live in 10 for part 2 of Kytt's playthrough of Day of the Tentacle Remastered! Twitch
Been away for awhile, but here's some new free music. This one is kind of weird or experimental and not sure how I'd classify it. But, hopefully someone will find it useful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amineabati1000