multiple battle system,implement now or later

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by dracossaint, May 14, 2015.

1. dracossaint

dracossaint Thenewguy Member

First Language:
    english
    From what i have seen here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/9874-battle-manager-multiple-battle-systems/
    i've seen multiple battle systems can be supported with tweaks,but my question is simpleish.

I've seen each battle system has to be implanted and so they have to have custom classes for each battle system also, (which makes sense really since ones a tun, based and for my purposes the other being a live action fight vs turn based and diffrent variables in each scripts.) My question being is.Would it make it harder if i started with just the basic, turn bassed system and integrated the live actionish fights later down the road (im talkign end game stuff,like a character has to fight a whole army solo then it switches to live action mode and not many fights like that maybe 3 out of 1000's basically.)Or the sooner i do it the less pain ill have and less likely to be bug splatting?

thanks in advance:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  2. dracossaint

First Language:
    english
    also one more thing,are scripts viable to be ran only if (X) switch is fliped on, and is it a viable script managing option for the game??,or is it a per map occurrence only? 

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  3. optimum45

optimum45 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    From personal experience, you should implement as many things as possible to your foundation before you start building on top of it.

Remember that changes essentially "go backwards", in the sense that if you tweak one little core thing, it can have trickle-down effect everywhere.  An example, I recently move two items on my items list, changing their ID's.  I had to change almost a hundred entries in my events to compensate for that change.  This example doesn't even include scripts, and the trickle-down those have.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    dracossaint, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something and your post is the last, just edit it.

In most cases, running multiple battlesystems in the same project will require a big rewrite for most of those battlescripts. There are some exceptions, but even those need to be configured correctly to be usable.

If you do not know how to program in Ruby/RGSS, that will be difficult to achieve.

And unfortunately, your added questions shows that your experience in this is limited, or you would have known that answer:

You can never switch of scripts - only if the scripter has prepared for that (about 10% of the scripts) you can switch off functions of those scripts.

dracossaint and optimum45 like this.
  5. dracossaint

First Language:
    english
    Andar,I'm sorry your quite right and ill try and be more mindful of that,I'm a little fluent in python 2.7 run and write a few utility scripts here and there for fixing a pc or two autonmously or comppleteing simple task..
    So it all has to initiated at start up of the .exe. Rather then as you go,toggling the scripts on and to standby as needed as time gose on, to save resources, but this isn't a very demanding engine anyway.I have some fundemntals and what i taught myself,but no one to answer many questions or share in what I'm interested in. It's just always been  a "good luck with it" thing with me,but i have good problem solving skills and like repetitive task cause of it XD.i kinda figured this would be a good sized challenge and maybe too tough of one possibly.So i really appreciate any and all help i get ^.^,
    Thank you

optimum45,Yeah I started to notice as times gone on and i went working backward to tweak things a little,Why i asked sort of. Wasn't sure if the battle system or script manager to be mroe precise i think.Would be separate from it to not be impactful as i can,i was hopeful though HAHA.Playing the switches game now just figured out how to make sure a event stays dead when its killed even if "x" switch is still on.Mostly been figuring it myself as i go :)