Multiple Controllers Support

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by Rikifive, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hello everybody!

First off, I'd like to ask about this:

These sections don't exist (unless they're well hidden) ~ so is this section proper for this kind of requests?

This is pretty confusing and inconvenient.

Okay ~ back to the topic~

I'd love to ask/request for a Multiple Controllers Support possibility.

As much as RM's limits 'irk' me, I can ignore them and try to find workarounds, but one thing I'd love to have is the possibility to play a game with two controllers.

By default, RM can use only ONE controller and it does not detect more than that. That's understandable, since the input system was designed to support only few silly input keys, that are used for both, keyboard and a pad.

Since playing a multiplayer game with one keyboard is annoying (due to keys blocking each other ~ I have no idea why it works like this (Yes, I know it's not related to RM ~ and that's better, because you'll know what I mean)) ~ using controllers would be great for few reasons:

- Keys would not block each other

- More convenient gameplay (simple key bindings ~rather than random complex configurations on keyboard)

- Better experience (as for platformer game)

I'm using CP Keyboard Input script if that's important ~ the best solution would be letting me to set which keys from that input system would be triggered when pressing certain buttons on pad. Like pressing 'left' button on pad would simulate :kA key, for example. Or anything else would be appreciated.

I'd be REALLY HAPPY if that would be possible, so I'd heavily appreciate help.

In my opinion, the developers of the software should do something with this and few other things as well, but yeah... Which developer actually cares about their software ~ I guess.

This is really important for me. =3

Thank you!

Questions, that probably would be asked

1. Why do you need two controllers in RPG Maker? LOL

That's because I'm an idiot and I'm making non-RPG's in RPG Maker. I'm doing SCIENCE, so bear with me.

Besides this, I'm making an RPG and guess what? It also supports local multiplayer. (both players walking on a map and battling together on shared screen)

2. Non-RPG in RPG Maker? What are you doing there?

A Local Multiplayer Retro Platformer Shooter:

[​IMG] 

3. You can always use keyboard for one player and a controller for the second one, that way the keys wouldn't be blocking each other, no?

That's true, but playing that kind of game with controllers gives better experience ~ I'll be playing that game with my brother and I want to sit back with him and play the game 'legitimately'.

4. There is a software, that lets you simulate pressing keyboard keys with controllers, can't you just use that?

I was using a software like this, but it wasn't free. It had (if I'm not mistaking) 30 days trial though, sooooooooooo it will not work for longer period of time. Besides, forcing players to install 3rd party crap is what I HATE. When I didn't own RM and tried to play an RM game where it asked me to look up for RTP, I was annoyed. I just wanted to play one single game, not to install random stuff on my PC. That's the stupidest thing, that any developer can do. I've installed a program once, that installed more than 10 programs in total (libraries and such) and guess what? I was uninstalling that garbage for about an hour and to this day, there are leftovers deep inside my PC, that I can't delete for some stupid reason. I didn't ask for this.

However, using that kind of a software wasn't that bad, so if you know a free and simple software, that would allow me to achieve this, then I could take a look, so at least, it would be a temporary workaround.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
    Seriel likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They do exist - and most people seem to find them (inside the script forum for the maker you want to request the scripts for)

I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Request. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Script Support is for help with existing scripts, and goes for all makers with RGSSx (XP, VX, VXA)

Rikifive likes this.
  3. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other

Ooooh there it was!

(so they were well hidden after all! =3)

I was confused by this:

[​IMG]

There, everything is nicely listed, but the request area is not here.

While I was taking a look on these areas, I didn't notice the subforum, that popped out at the top.

My bad, sorry for that.

The forum's layout is confusing and barely readable for me after the update.

Anyway, I'll remember this for future, thanks for info and moving it to appropriate area.

(I knew you'll hunt me down for this. #RektByAndar =3)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
  4. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In MV I'm sure this is possible. In javascript you set up 'listeners' within the canvas. 

5. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I keep hearing, that MV has much less limits and such, so that's a good sign ~ though sadly I'm using Ace and I can't afford buying MV and *kinda* learning scripting from the beginning (due to different scripting language). =/

Seriel likes this.
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rikifive It can be done in Ace, but it is a lot more complex than people might think at first glance.

You know of the problems that are reported when grafic tablet or gamepads are attached and even in playtest the player suddenly keeps moving in one direction, and that removing the driver for the tablet/gamepad suddenly solves the problem even if it is still connected?

The reason for that is that Ace basically uses an old Windows API for additional devices that had been replaced with either XP or Vista (don't remember which one). The devices work without the drivers for the old API because the new API supports them.

But the reason why it had to be replaced is because the old API (which was originally introduced either Win95 or Win98) was never designed to handle more than one device, and getting more than one program accessing it caused those irregular effects. That is a limitation that is in the old Windows API and can't be changed.

So in order to switch to multiple controllers, the script needs to redirect the entire input control of the RM engine to the newer Windows API. That is possible, but it requires good knowledge of those APIs and the RM engine.

There are some scripts for Ace that remodel the controller support for additional function if I remember the master script list correctly, but I never checked how they work and if they might already do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2016
  7. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yeah, I was and I'm aware, that this will be an extremely difficult task to handle.

Yes, I have heard about these problems, though I've never experienced that by myself. I was using a controller to play few RM games and oooohhh, the experience was much, much better than when playing on keyboard. I'm pretty sure it's about getting used to/personal preferences, but playing a game (besides FPS'es and such for obvious reasons) with a controller is a great thing, especially when playing a game on shared/split screen with a friend or siblings. That said, I've never experienced any issues with using gamepads in RM.

I'm not a professional programmer of any sort, so I'm not oriented well with that kind of coding and systems, but I get what you mean.

I spend so much time playing on consoles when I was young ~ starting from Atari, through Amiga/NES/Playstation ~ and playing on pads or [​IMG] was fun! =3

I think I saw a script like this as well ~ though I couldn't manage to make it work..

Though I know it's almost impossible, I hope to see this real someday...

I'd even gladly pay for this, but different currency (Polish currency has much less value) and real life situation doesn't allow me to do so... (hence being hesitant to buying other software and such)  =/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2016
  8. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There, there: 

It says it supports up to 4 controllers. I never tried it myself though.

Rikifive likes this.
  9. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It seems it could do what I want, but I'm having troubles with emulating xbox controllers, because mine aren't compatible apparently.

The xbox stuff makes everything unnecessarily complicated. =/

10. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    UPDATE:

YAAAAAAY!

This script does work and did all what I wanted! =3

This is so awesome!

Thank you for help! (=