Not open for further replies.

McNipple

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi All,

I am trying to make an event which when the player touches, shows a question balloon, and when the action button is pressed, text is shown.

I.e. Player walks up to Well. Question bubble appears. Player presses space bar. Text appears.

I've got the text on event page 1 with an Action Button same as characters trigger

And the question balloon on page 2 with a Player touch, same as characters trigger

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong / how I can make it work??

Thanks in advance,

Matt

McNipple

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Im using RPG maker VX ace by the way. 

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.... :(

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it's in the wrong place, and double posting is against the forum rules. I will move it for you. Next time, please use the Edit button instead of double posting.

McNipple

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks. Where are you reposting it?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In VX Ace Support, where it is now ;)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

I am trying to make an event which when the player touches, shows a question balloon, and when the action button is pressed, text is shown.

I.e. Player walks up to Well. Question bubble appears. Player presses space bar. Text appears.

I've got the text on event page 1 with an Action Button same as characters trigger

And the question balloon on page 2 with a Player touch, same as characters trigger

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong / how I can make it work??

Thanks in advance,

Matt
In event's, only one page can ever be active at a single time (exception: parallel process, but let's not go there yet).
If several pages have their conditions fulfilled, then the active page will be the one with the highest number.

In your event, the page two has to change the conditions to make page one active if the event should react to the action button after showing the balloon - usually by using self-switches. However that also means that if the player moves away and returns, the balloon will not appear a second time.

If the NPC has a fixed position on the map, you're better off splitting the event. Have a second event in front of him, "below player" and "player touch" to trigger the balloon display on the NPC event.

If the NPC is moving around or there are other restriction, you might try a parallel process page checking the player position through variables and display the balloon when the player is near. Unfortunately that is not only a more complex programming, it also creates lag for the map - if there are more than one or two such NPCs on a single map, you'll risk heavy lag and an unplayable game (depending on exact coding and the CPU speed of the computer used to play)

WaterIce455

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've tried this with self-switch and it's quite simple.

First, i put the balloon icon on page 1 and i also put [control self-switch A=ON] next to it. The trigger type is 'player touch' and it's below character.

Then i set the condition that self-switch A must ON on page 2, put the text, action button, below character. Done.
But same as what did Andar said, if the player moves away and returns, the balloon won't appear a second time.

Actually, if you want the balloon to reappear again, you can add [wait: 1 frame] and [control switch A=OFF] on page 2 right below the text, just it. The balloon will always reappear whenever you move away and return.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@WaterIce455, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...
I've been busy working on my next music pack, and I've also been busy composing some personal compositions. Depending on the type of mood and setting, sometimes I just really love the sound of music created in lofi mono. It has its charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cryoparty