OneFlyMax

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone! Currently I'm working not exactly on making a game, but rather on REmaking some of my older ones. And the thing is - I want to compile a few smaller games into one big-ish project, so it would be more convenient for the players to play them one after another rather then downloading each and every one (some of them are really small). But I'm not sure how It should be done. My idea was to use some plugins to make my own custom main menus for the whole project and each game separately, but I don't know how to separate save files between all the games. And if I don't - then it would be possible to, say, open menu for the 3rd game, load save file from the 1st and play that one. Seems pretty weird. I could just make one big menu for each game, general "continue", settings and whatnot, but I'd prefer to make separate menus accessible from the main main menu (how it was done in HD collection of Metal Gear Solid 2&3 - the first thing that come to my mind).

So, is there a way to do something like that? It feels like someone should have compiled a few games into one project before, but I couldn't find anything on the internet. If you have some other ideas - I would gladly hear them out as well!

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi there!
On RPG maker, there is no way to do that.
You can fake it by using events. But you must have your all-game database, maps, etc, in a single project.
Even so, if they have different tile sizes, and resolutions, you still need a plugin to change that based on each game.

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your only problem is that you think it will be tedious to download each and every game, then you can simply offer a zip file or similar with all of your games for download. No need for fancy eventing or plugin creation.

OneFlyMax

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!
On RPG maker, there is no way to do that.
You can fake it by using events. But you must have your all-game database, maps, etc, in a single project.
Even so, if they have different tile sizes, and resolutions, you still need a plugin to change that based on each game.
Thank you for your answer!
Yeah, I'm ready to build everything in a single project. And I have the idea of how to make the main menus work, but the question in hand is how to separate save files between the games. Can a project have different save files, each having some slots? Or, I also thought about one save file with a big number of slots, but those slots themselves are separated between the games - as in first 10 for the first game, next 10 for the second one and so on.

If your only problem is that you think it will be tedious to download each and every game, then you can simply offer a zip file or similar with all of your games for download. No need for fancy eventing or plugin creation.
Well, yeah, I could do that, but it feels like all I need for the realization of my idea is to solve the problem with the saves....

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Or, I also thought about one save file with a big number of slots, but those slots themselves are separated between the games - as in first 10 for the first game, next 10 for the second one and so on.
Yeah, that is possible via plugins.
According to what game the user chooses, you can only show on the save scene a certain amount of saving files.
But you will need a plugin for that.
Unless you are eventing it with choices.

OneFlyMax

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that is possible via plugins.
According to what game the user chooses, you can only show on the save scene a certain amount of saving files.
But you will need a plugin for that.
Unless you are eventing it with choices.
And I suppose there is no such plugin? I tried to find some, but couldn't get any result.

Eventing with choices? How would that work with save files?

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
And I suppose there is no such plugin? I tried to find some, but couldn't get any result.

Eventing with choices? How would that work with save files?
I don't know if a plugin like that exists. Maybe look for the ones that change the save scene.
Otherwise, you will have to understand how to load/save the game using script calls. So you can attach these scripts to choices.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Variation two of my nameless protagonist- now with color!!
WIN_20220815_21_48_46_Pro.jpg
thoughts?
Fun question - how do you manage the scope of your projects? All of my projects seem to balloon until they pop and they are suddenly nonexistent!
no I did not just have to write a song three different times because my music software doesn't support tempo changes!!
I WILL defeat this demonic USB connection notification bug
ScreenShot_8_15_2022_6_22_24.png
Mike trying to dodge the Memory Pawns invading Bantam Street. I like how the filters I used on the map almost make it look like the street is wet in a sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MallowMal