Multiple languages plugin

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Unknown2001, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Unknown2001

Unknown2001 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    hello internet friends :)
    I am super new to Rpgmaver MV and am very excited to be able to make a multi language game :)
    I really like the look of SumRndDde's translation engine plugin
    as seen here http://sumrndm.site/translation-engine/
    does anyone know if you can select the games language B4 the title screen by selecting an image of that languages countries flag?
    I have my heart set on recreating older games like PS1 where you would choose between a Brittish, German, French flag etc as a way to select the games language
    I like this idea because I would have a hard time changing the language through the games title screen menu if I couldn't read the language and may end up hitting 'new game' instead of 'options'
    then I'd have to restart my whole game until I guessed how to change language

are there any examples of RPG maker games that let players select language by choosing flags at the games start?
    does anyone have any advice to point me in the right direction to make this happen :) ?

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Unknown2001 I have split your post into its own thread.

3. Unknown2001

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanx mLogan
    to explain further here are some images of the two screens I'm trying to set up :)
    so pressing right would highlight the Japanese language option and pressing space-bar would start the game in Japanese Language
    and pressing left will highlight the English language option and pressing space-bar will start the game in English
    here are some screen pics

I plan to stick with 2 languages for now and it will only change the txt language not the audio
    but depending on the demo, mybe press up for French and down for German in future

has anyone tried this idea B4?
    I think it is a really cool idea so anyone can feel free to use it

4. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you can do most of this with events.

You'll need a PreTitle Events plugin. There are a few out there, it sends you to a map before the title screen.

In that map, you show the choices of language as pictures of the flags. This tutorial can help, it's about choosing a character but the same concept applies:

Depending on what they pick, you use the Plugin Command of the translation engine to change the language.

5. Unknown2001

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    thank you Aloe you are the best guy,
    your answer was better then I hoped for
    out of interest, what difficulty level would you describe making a language selection screen in this way?
    this seems a little past beginner level?

6. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Probably medium difficulty but start with the smaller parts and slowly get more complicated. This way you can figure out when something doesn't work, also you can feel good when you succeed on each part.

Part 1.
    Make an event on a normal map (*after* the title) that asks the player which language. Just use the Show Text and Show Choices event commands. Based on the choice, use the SRD Plugin Command to switch the language.

Part 2.
    Follow the YouTube tutorial to use the picture of the flag instead of the Show Choices. This is still on a normal map after the title screen

Part 3.
    Find a PreTitle Events plugin (I think Himeworks has a popular one) and do the choice *before* the title screen now.

If you have a big goal, the best thing is to split it into smaller tasks. Good luck!

7. Unknown2001

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello internet friends I was able to accomplish my mission of setting up a dual audio option screen, but ....
    I am not as experienced as the person who made the cool tutorial video but I found it much easier to make using
    if button right is pressed instead of if player is facing right
    I found this easier and I could also add sound effects easier this way
    I would like to hear others comments on this?