Multiple Switches Questions Meow

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Chester, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Chester

Chester Meow Kitten Veteran

First Language:
    Cat Tongue
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello meow I have a some questions nya. You see my Master is creating nya a game that has multiple endings and so meow he said that there will nya be a lot of switches being On and so nya will that slow down the game? Also nya is there another way meow to do this meow? And nya for my last question...it is not pertaining nya to switches but um...meow I can only make 1 post a day nya and I want to make more posts a day meow but anyway nya since I can only make 1 post a day meow I won't get to answer your comments until 1 day is up meow. Thank You for helping Nya !

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) The number of switches or variables does not affect game speed. You can use variables instead of switches for story control as well (for example a variable "chapter number" or counting how much points are needed to access branch X and so on.

2) the post limit is only for beginners to protect against spam bots - once you have several posts approved, that restriction is automatically lifted - but please read the forum rules, this is intended to be a working forum for help and sharing idea. Forum games and similiar things are restricted to approved events.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually, with all the meows and nyas, it is very difficult to understand what you are posting about.  Clarity is important if people are to be able to help you - especially if the person with the knowledge does not have English as their first language.  You need to make it easy for people to answer your queries.

4. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I second what ksp17 said.  There are actual role-playing threads (see the Save Ralph threads), but in normal posts, it's important to post your questions in a straightforward manner, not "in character" as it were.  Otherwise, people might not understand what you're saying. 

While it's cute for an introduction, and I LOVE kitties, it can get tiring if every question/comment gets posted in character.

The approach I would take is to use Variables.  If you want, say, a single Quest to have 8 requirements, you can use a Variable, say you label it "My Quest" (the label doesn't matter --- it's just for your own benefit).  Then, you can set each NPC to have an Event Page which requires "My Quest" to be (value or higher), where "0" is the first step in the quest.  When you add a new Event page, have it require "My Quest" to be a higher value, say "1".

The way RPG Maker runs event pages, it runs them right to left.  When one has its condition satisfied, RPG Maker runs that page.  This way your NPCs can respond to the 8 stages in "My Quest" without using 8 different Switches.

That works best for linear sequences of events.  Then, to see if the Quest is finished, you'd check "My Quest" and see if it is at the highest value.

If you want something more complicated, say "Press the 4 switches to Continue", you might want to use a Common Event to check the conditions, then use a single Switch to represent "Quest Satisfied" or "Quest Not Satisfied." 

The right to left event page evaluation is exactly why there is a "Self Switch x is ON" Event condition.  For simple NPCs which just say 1 thing, you can have the default page (no conditions) do the longer speech, then set "Self Switch A to ON", and add a page "Self Switch A is ON" which gives the much shorter text the player sees whenever s/he talks to the NPC again.

I'd take a look at the excellent tutorials Andar has in his signature.  They walk you through using the tools in RPG Maker.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014