Multple Languages

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Vito The Boss, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    Hi everyone! I want to ask you, if there is a way to have multiple languages in the database. I know, that there are plugin, that can you give a character two languages, but here I am wondering if there is a way to ensure, that there are two descriptions, and names, of the same weapon, without having to create two copies of the same.

2. Crabs

Crabs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    It's possible but it will be hard to configure the database for the second language.

At this moment I have two ways of doing it in my mind, both requires some script editing.

• You can use the notetag to fill the information for the second language and then use a script to "read" (parse) the info and store in variables. But you will have to edit the battle_scene script to make it read the new information. (annoying part in bold)
    • Instead of storing the data on a notetag, do it in a .json file.

If you are not a programmer, you should consider creating a new project file. Unfortunately the engine was not made to support two distinct languages at the same time, without some tinkering.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  3. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Iavra's Localization Plugin is the one I would use, which reads text from .json files. You would have to make one .json file for each language and put "Escape Codes" as the database entries. These codes are then replaced with the repective texts from the .json files. Look into the plugin thread for more information.

Especially if you're just starting with the game, I would advise against making multiple project files - it's a lot of extra work to keep them both updated, and even if you finish the game in one language first and then copy that project to change the text to your second language, you will have two project files to maintain when debugging.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  4. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    Ok, thanks LadyBaskerville, I give it a look!