[Music Production] Favorite gear?

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Man I don't have the time to read through all this right now but this is amazing! Thank you for setting up this thread. I'm definitely going to try some of these out.

Myself, I do a lot of hip-hop production instead of orchestral/RPG stuff but I guess I'll post it here anyways.

• FL Studio 11 -- my DAW
  • Sylenth1 -- I use this synth the most. it's very flexible
  • Magnus Choir -- i love this choir sound
  • MadShifta -- this shifts the pitch up and down
  • dBlue Glitch -- glitches stuff up
  • tb monomate/peach/ritual/toad -- bass/chiptune stuff
  • mda <anything> -- plugin set that does cool stuff
  • Decimort -- distorts nicely
  • DSK <most> -- used to use these instruments lots. now? not so much.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Every little bit of information is helpful to those seeking what to use for their next masterpiece!  benny, even beats can be used in an RPG setting if it's a futuristic setting, or even modern.  That kind of music would fit very well and to share what kind of gear you use to ensure you get just the right sound for them is great.  Nicely done. :)

Also, I tried the Magnus Choir and felt it was lacking something (for me), but it's still a great VST to use.

nio, I think that's great, especially that you play the violin.  I used to play it back in school, but that was years ago and I'm REALLY out of practice. Keep playing that violin my friend!

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Every little bit of information is helpful to those seeking what to use for their next masterpiece!  benny, even beats can be used in an RPG setting if it's a futuristic setting, or even modern.  That kind of music would fit very well and to share what kind of gear you use to ensure you get just the right sound for them is great.  Nicely done. :)

Also, I tried the Magnus Choir and felt it was lacking something (for me), but it's still a great VST to use.

nio, I think that's great, especially that you play the violin.  I used to play it back in school, but that was years ago and I'm REALLY out of practice. Keep playing that violin my friend!
Sankyou :D and you to djdark-kun you are awesome with music >:3 I love a lot of your edit!

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
For my new project, I've sampled an entire range of Japanese traditional percussion and instruments(koto, shamisen etc), kabuki/noh sound effects and voices.

There were only two commercial alternatives to doing it myself, and they were expensive and not all that good.

I expect I'll be using these quite heavily from now on. If anyone else is interested, give me a shout, and I'll up it once I'm finished.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the long delay in replies.  I've been busy doing other stuff, finding work and entertaining my older sister who is visiting until this upcoming Monday.

hian, that's awesome!  I wanted to sample my violin once upon a time, but the mic I was using was a simple voice chat mic you can get anywhere for cheap, so there was plenty of hiss and even when I reduced it, you could hear that the quality decreased dramatically.  Have plans to share the samples or will you be keeping them a secret?  Either way is good, but I would like to hear samples of the music produced with said sampled instruments unless you already released something and I was just not around to hear it. lol

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finale Printmusic from way back in 2011 and as Littlefish said, SF2Midi.com I like to use FL Studio too.

As for composing on the fly, I like to use my flute and play a lick or three. If it sounds sweet I'll notate it/compose it. :)

StanManX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whoa, I gotta re-read this thread when I get home and check out some of the stuff the rest of you are using...

My current faves:

- FL Studio 11

- Miroslav Philharmonik CE -- I picked this up on sale a little bit ago, and I think I've used it in everything I've written since

- Line6 GuitarPort

- Amplitube 3 -- Another recent acquisition. Way better than Line6's GearBox, in my opinion.

- Addictive Drums

- Addictive Keys

- Primer -- I picked up a sound design tutorial called Syntorial a while back, and this is the VST they use in the lessons. It will be more awesome when I finish the tutorial and know how to work more of the knobs :)

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Iron Croc & StanManX, it's really great to see what you guys use as well.  I love how diverse, yet very similar, all of our audio gear is.  It ranges from simplistic to complex, easy to hard and functional to downright insane!

I started trying out the Embertone Freidlander Violin (the old version) and I have to say that it's pretty awesome.  It has bow changes, legato, staccato, sustains and controllable vibrato.  I also like Ice Samples Love Violin.  It's not as versatile, but it's got it's own little charm and quality.

I'm thinking of going back to my tracking roots and using DefleMask for making real Genesis, NES and GB music (in their actual formats and not using soundfonts or other gimmicks) and using ModPlug Tracker + SNESMOD to make real SNES music (not MIDI with soundfonts like I did on my Soundcloud with the VX Ace Battle 1 SNES test).  By the way, the Battle 4 preview was done using real SNES effects through emulation (SPC) with custom made SNES samples and some time on my hands.  I plan to finish it one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:
Hey people! What do you think about a core plugin? This will save some lines of code that I repeatedly use in all my plugins...
Wondering if I should make my enemies scale in my non-linear rpg. I'm leaning towards yes, but I don't want to use Yanfly's plugin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foghiszdenisz