Musician Looking For Opportunity

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Merancapeman, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Merancapeman

Merancapeman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Let's start with this, and forgive the bluntness of it:

I do not want to perpetuate the idea of a starving artist that should be paid with exposure.

[​IMG]
     ​
    WITH THAT SAID....
     ​
         I'm perfectly ok with working on projects for free if that has to be the case. But with this in mind, understand that I want to be selective with the project in question. I cannot begin to tell you how many projects I've been invited on (some of which I had made many songs for) that fell apart. While I'm glad for the motivation to have created some great work, I do not appreciate that the work I put in went directly to the rainy-day bin. I would like to work with a team, and while I'm a believer in the idea that there are one-man projects that can get off the ground with huge success, I'm a bit skeptical to believe I'd get invited to the one that would achieve liftoff. My time is worth more than that, especially when I'm trying to land a full-time job in this rinky-dink state I live in.

This is a link with my work and the playlists they reside in, and while the songs I've uploaded include what styles and types I've done, they are not exclusive. I can work in other styles, and I'd be happy to learn any kind of style for a given project. Here are various songs in varying styles (redundantly redundant?)

https://soundcloud.com/merancape/recurring-dreams?in=merancape/sets/piano-pieces-14

I've had more than 10 years experience composing and scoring as well as audio mixing and mastering. I have bountiful sound effects I can use for many occasions. One of the songs in the piano set (link to general soundcloud account provided contains three playlists, "Orchestrations" for game music and film scores, "Piano" for piano... yeah... and "Vocals." Don't listen to vocals. For gods sake don't listen to vocals) and included in the example song above titled "Recurring Dreams" has sound effects along with it for mood. These sound effects are all hand-placed, so it is to some effect a small example of what kind of environments I can create with my tools.

Why post on this site and not on a kickstarter or some other indie-game recruitment site? I'm getting into RMMV myself, and with each passing day learn a little more about the process and the plugins included. The possibilities excite me. This also means at some point I believe I'll be efficient with many aspects of the program and will be perfectly willing to help in other aspects. I've worked with other RM's before and am comfortable with map creation, skill creation, and concept design for several aspects of the system. I'd like to learn Java but there's much to do before that can happen. I'm currently planning on working on my own pet project which will result in a fine-tuned game that, while not terribly long, will demonstrate my grasp of scoring music to video games and the use of music in significantly aiding the value of the gaming process (while also utilizing scripts and experience to create an actually fun game). A sort of playable resume, if you will.

I'd like to take the time to point out that I'm also an experienced writer, and personally believe I specialize in dialogue. I'm a firm believer in the legitimacy of true script dialogue and lore. I'd like to think I can be humorous. But then don't we all?

If you're cool with all I've said and had a listen to my music and are still interested, please email me at merancape@gmail.com. I look forward to working with a team toward creating some awesome stuff, and one day becoming the next Nobuo Uematsu in the process. Failing this, I'll be creating my own game if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Meran (AKA Micah)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
    ShinGamix likes this.
  2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm just dropping in to wish you good luck and a welcome to RMing. Don't be so hard on your vocals either. I actually really like them! Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to put my singing on Soundcloud. I'm a total sucker for "Hallelujah" though, instant heart warming and tears when I listen to that song. You have great piano work, too. Piano high-five!

Merancapeman likes this.
  3. Merancapeman

First Language:
    English
    Oh, someone responded while I was editing! Haha, thank you, I appreciate it. I can totally do better, but even then I wonder if I SHOULD.

Also, total high five for the piano stuff. Didn't know I was talking with another piano conno... connoisseur? I think that's how you spell it. I'd like to put voice acting on my list of skills, but lord knows there's millions of people offering that!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  4. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    How long have you been composing music? Also, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll be dealing with many people who have small budgets and won't be ble to afford nearly as much as for a proper gaming musician (which can charge in the hundreds per finished minute)
    Anyway, from one musician/composer to another, best of luck to you.

5. Merancapeman

First Language:
    English
    But yeah, I've been composing for about ten years now as a self taught musician. And thank you for the warm wishes :3

6. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Reading music will become an invaluable skill to you as a musician. I speak as a by-ear self-taught flute player :)    Being ab;e to read what somebody else wrote will open nearly endless doors for you! :D

7. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would love to have a full musician on my project. My project been going strong for some time now (several years..LOL!) 

A Tricky Trade is my fav so far, it reminds me of FF9 a lot.

and I could very well use a good helper on my dialogue writing.

but as you said yourself it's hard to find people that will stay with a project, so I am a very skeptical person on that front. I find that 95% of people will want to join but end up being missing very soon.

I will be pming you also.

PedroVGM likes this.
  8. Merancapeman

First Language:
    English
    You're not kidding. It's not work ethic, it's just that classical "Treehouse Buddies" syndrome where you make all these promises you fully intend on keeping before realizing your interests lie elsewhere. I won't lie, I do that from time to time myself. But for my music, I have to follow through. It's not a matter of realizing different priorities, it's the act of saying, "I make music. If I stop making music, my life will fall to ruins. I am music."

sinmorph likes this.
  9. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just popping in to say you have some good stuff there and a good voice too!  You could always work for free for a while, both here and in the resource workshops section if you find yourself struggling to find projects.  Then once you gain enough experience, set up a classified ad/shop, start with a low price and then slowly work up to professional rates as you get better.  If you want exposure within the site, Restaff is an easy way to get some in the beginning, though you'd PM Caz instead of Archeia now.

The rest is down to your talents and personality, if you need any music help, feel free to PM me at anytime! :)

10. Merancapeman

First Language:
    English
    I mean, I've scored for many film projects and performances, it's video games I'm wanting into though. But yes, like I said, I'm entirely open for working for free. Didn't realize there were other forums for it though!

ShinGamix likes this.
  11. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So are you interested? I pmed you also but I didnt get a response from that.

12. Tome571

Tome571 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Are you looking at getting into some projects solely as a composer/musician, or filling another role as well to learn some more of RMMV?

In either case, I'd like to expose you to my personal project, and my team project.

I am also a life long musician/audio engineer. I like to bounce back and forth between both musician and game maker because creating things is what drives me. You came to a good spot, welcome. And, I hope you find some work =)

13. Merancapeman

First Language:
    English
    Both. I love writing, both fiction and composing. I have more experience composing, but I've won many journalism awards and have some published stories. Not to be confused with novels... -sigh- Maybe one day. I'm the same way, to be honest, and it all boils down to this: I love to tell stories.

Tome571 likes this.
  14. Josephcow

Josephcow Joseph Cowan Member

First Language:
    English
    Awesome work! I love tricky trade.

15. The Boggan King

The Boggan King The Boggan King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am a composer as well, but I get complaints that my style fits films more so than games ((To give you an example of why I'm seeking a more game-score oriented composer ha...))... That being said, are you seeking to be a part of a team long-term as an "in-house" type musician ((This doesn't mean that you can't seek projects elsewhere of course)). I am the composer in a start-up studio that my wife and I are creating and we're currently gathering dedicated members with priority to permanent members who will stick with a soon-to-be company. I would not object to having an extra composer in the house. "Toriya Hustle" would be nearing towards the style we're looking for in our first game... Do you work with electric guitar at all?

I planned to fill the role of composer in our first game project even though I have musical obligations to some projects that are only my wife's and mine for the same team. However, I'd gladly give the position to someone who's style better fits. Not certain how much cash you'd require up front or even if you're interested, but here's the thread where I'm gathering a team for our pilot project.

Regardless, I hope you find good work as you are talented in making very game-y soundtracks. *Weeps in the corner with his movie trailer-esque score fails* 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015