MV and scaling on high res displays

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, recently I tried a new laptop out, one running Windows 10, which has a display resolution of 3200 x 1800. Despite my irritation with Microsoft and PC manufacturers pushing these super high-res displays when many apps and programs aren't ready for it, I decided to give it a shot. Case in point with apps and programs not being ready for it: RPG Maker.

While the map itself, visible in the editor, looks gorgeous on the super sharp, high-res screen, the interface is hilariously tiny. I can barely even read the names of my maps in the list. The screen is a touch-screen, but there's no way to use it to control MV; I can't hit what I want to hit with my finger with any precision. The database is even worse; tooltips are extremely hard to read and the pictures and sprites in the Actors tab are super small. Different scaling options within Windows do basically nothing; the program's text and icons remain tiny no matter what I change the scaling to.

As I understand it (I'm certainly no expert on this particular issue), this is dependent on the program itself being optimized to run in the high-res environment. There's nothing Windows itself can do if MV simply isn't built to support that high a res. So! My question is this: is it known at this time if scaling the editor for high-resolution displays (i.e. higher than 1920 x 1080) is something that Kadokawa plans to introduce? Is it possibly something we might see in an update in the near future? Or is it totally up in the air as to when, or even if, we will ever see this?

Basically the answer to that is going to factor into my decision to keep this laptop vs. try out a model with a 1080p screen instead, since MV is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a new laptop in the first place. Thanks!

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem is that you are displaying 3200 x 1800 worth of pixels in a presumably 15", 17", or whatever it is size screen that your laptop has. So,  yes, the UI will appear small at that resolution.

My monitor is 3440 x 1440, but it is 33'", and it's pixel-perfect as a result.

I do understand where you're coming from, however; I use a Macbook Pro for work, and deal with the resolution issues that you mentioned in your post on a daily basis.

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The problem is that you are displaying 3200 x 1800 worth of pixels in a presumably 15", 17", or whatever it is size screen that your laptop has. So,  yes, the UI will appear small at that resolution.

My monitor is 3440 x 1440, but it is 33'", and it's pixel-perfect as a result.

I do understand where you're coming from, however; I use a Macbook Pro for work, and deal with the resolution issues that you mentioned in your post on a daily basis.
Right, but the thing is, if you look at other apps and programs on the same machine, some of them suffer from this same issue and some of them don't, because it is possible for a given program to be optimized for high res, and look pretty normal, even when running on a 13 inch, 3200 x 1800 resolution screen. So that is what I would like to know: if any such optimization for MV is planned or likely in the near future. Because if not, or if it's not something the staff know one way or the other, I'm going to seriously consider a model with 1920 x 1080 resolution instead. I'd lose out on the touchscreen then, but using MV is too important; as I said it's a big part of why I'm even getting a new laptop right now, and it's really hard to use with the scaling issues in place.

And as for screen size, there is almost no chance of any laptop I get being any bigger than 13 inches, because "weight of 3 lbs or less" is a deal-breaker criteria for me. With that and the performance I want, it's basically ultrabook or nothing.

Ringtale Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeahhhh, i just bought a surface pro 4 for the purpose of making this whole game design easier and faster....

But itty bitty little rpg maker mv is no good.

smashingtofu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
I also have a similar problem on my surface pro 3 (2160 x 1440)
I've also tried to increase display UI to varying sizes, even went overboard and went 250 percent. But the menu, tilesets, etc stay the same size regardless.

I attached a screen capture of both VX Ace and MV in the same shot for comparison.

I'm honestly both surprised and not surprised that I ran into the issue. Just disappointed!

If there is a solution I would love to know it (or it gets patched in?). At the moment I'll see if I can find compromises... (the surface pro 3 annoyingly does not have other lower resolutions that are its screen ratio 3:2, like say 1440 by 960)

Screenshot (6).png

Ringtale Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good news! I got a reply from the rpg maker team. They are going to release an update to fix the issue. I also found a nifty tutorial on how to fix the issue that I can post on here. The tutorial was for Photoshop, but it worked perfectly for rpg maker also!

EDIT: I'll be posting my own tutorial on here soon, it'll include a link to the original source as requested by the author!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringtale Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alrighty, with the authors permission, I am linking to his original post/tutorial so you guys can fix the DPI issue, as his fix is for photoshop, you will need to follow my directions after you follow his. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DO THIS. IT will not mess up your computer, and it's easily reversible if you DO mess something up along the way.
When it comes to that point, he lists some example files on his site, right click and save "photoshop.exe.manifest" into an easily accessible place like "my documents" or "downloads".

This is his link.

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

The ONLY thing you need to do differently is downloading his file and changing the name to RPGMV.exe.manifest
You will then paste it into the folder following this path

My PC  > Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) > KADOKAWA > RPGMV

Then, open RPG MAKER MV, and VOILA the DPI issue is now fixed.

(this DOES work for different versions of windows, including windows 10)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasaseocirebon