I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey game makers,

After taking some time to continue working on my own game I'm back with a list of all the 'Battle System' developers can use for their games. Please note I'm doing this in order to save you time looking around for each of the systems below, you will still need to check for yourself what works the best for you, I hope this will be a short cut of finding your desire battle system.

Please let me know if that helps you, the more people this resources help the more I want to create more lists like that (It still took some time to find them, test them and write this post and I know dev can look forever for the battle system they need).

Note: I'm not actively using all of the battle systems, therefore It's possible there are more plugins I didn't add here, let me know if I missed anything and I will add it as soon as I can.

Now let jump to the list...

Side View Battle System (Default)

The following plugins will help you get more from your the Default Side View Battle System the come with RPGMV and make it more unique with the specific setting you may want to have.

Yanfly has many useful and life-changing plugins for the Side View Battle System, from the options the battle system gives you to the animations and other cool features, look on the list in the link below or search for 'battle system' in his site to get all the plugins he has to offer (currently they are cost $1 for each plugin so make sure to see if that what you looking for).

Click here to go to Yanfly battle plugins.

SRD Battle Plugins
Also, a place to find cool features for the default mv SV(side view) battle system, including 'summon' options and more, you can check them out by clicking on this link.

Active Turn System [ATB]

Description: 'ATB' changes a bit the way your battle system works, by turning it into ATB you and your enemy will have a specific amount of time to make your move in battle. If you didn't make your move until the time over, the turn end and the other side can make their move, most ATB comes with a 'visual' bar' the show you the time you have left to make your move.

doublex ATB Plugins >
ATB System supports the following:
1. From full active mode to partially active mode to full wait mode(supports hotkeys to forcibly run/stop the ATB as well)
2. Battler ATB bar display on the battler sprites as well as the status window
3. Charging skills(A skill takes some time to prepare before being executed) that can be cancelled during charging by pressing hotkeys
4. Skill cooldowns(The battler takes some time to cooldown after executing a skill before the ATB starts filling again)
5. States with turns updated by a fixed time interval
6. CTB mode
7. Customisable delay time for enemies/actors with auto action input between becoming able to inputting actions and actually inputting them
8. Customisable additional events to happen upon important things introduced by ATB
9. Hotkeys quickly changing from an inputable actor to another one
10. Customisable ATB fill, charge and cooldown rates
11. Customisable ATB reset value right after executing all actions and their cooldowns
12. Customisable SE reminding players that an actor becomes inputable
13. Customisable ATB fill proportion upon battle start(handling normal, preemptive and surprise cases)

ellye's_atb [
Site] [Direct]
ATB system with many setting features.

Battle System - ATB (YEP
Required: 'Battle Engine Core'

> To understand how ATB works and what's it change check(click) out the info about the Battle System - ATB (YEP).

If you want to know how a particular ATB system plugin works you can check this post by doublex (It covered doublex ATB Plugins, Ellye's ATB(also includes CTB option) and VE - Active Time Battle).

Chrono Trigger Battle system

Description: Similar to ATB features, however, unlike the ATB is just add on option for the 'side view' battle system, in this one, the battle system will happen on the map itself!

SRPG Battle System [Direct] [Demo]
Great Turn-Based Strategy genre system for RPG mv, more info in the link above.

MOG Chrono engine

Including ABS mode but also Chrono Trigger Battle system type, make sure to follow the plugin info of how to set up the 'Chrono' battle system instead of the 'ABS'.

Tactics Battle System (TBS)

Description: 'TBS' set the battle to be a tactic battle on the map, meaning, each side need to walk to a tile near enough to the enemy to be able to attack (for skills it's depending on your setting), and each side has a specific amount of tiles they can walk each turn.

LeTBS [Github] [Direct]

Add-ons
I've written several add-ons for the system:

• CombatScene.js: display the combat animation scene;
  • MouseSystem.js: add features for control with the mouse;
  • BattlePreparation.js: to manage a unit party before the battle;
  • ExpSystem.js: a small review of the rewards system;

Tactics Battle System (by arleq1n) [Github]
Many TBS features.

Action Battle System (ABS)

Description: 'ABS' giving you the option to fight enemies 'on the map', that include using items and skills on the map (not just for enemies), similar to the game 'The Legend of Zelda'.

Alpha ABS (by KageDesu ) (Note: You will need to pay for commercial use).
Real-time combat system. Easy to configure and learn. It has great functionality and is easily extensible.

MOG ABS (by moghunter)
Required Plugins

– MOG_ChronoEngine.js
– MOG_CharPoses.js
– MOG_EventSensor.js
Optional Plugins
– MOG_ChronoATBHud.js
– MOG_ChronoEnemyHP.js
– MOG_ChronoToolHud.js
– MOG_BattleHud.js
– MOG_ActorHud.js
– MOG_ChronoCT.js

Cross Engine (MOG ABS improve)
Improve by Restart for the MOG ABS system + compatibility with the 'Altimit Movement' plugin, to see it
click here.

QABS (by ) (forum/github)
Another Action battle system. Qabs come with many great plugins pack, including Pixel move system, followers, and many others.

- You will need a bit more time to set this one up. For quick guide by SRD,
click here

Linear battle system (LMBS)

Description: 'LMBS' change the way battle work on screen, both sides have full movement control in the battle, you (and enemy) can walk, run, jump, and attack the other side, whenever you want (you can setup cooldown for weapons, skills). check the following plugins to see how it's work:

MOG LMBS
A Linear battle system with free movement where the action takes place in real-time.

Kien's LMBS (not finish) [Github] [Demo Online]
It is one more LMBS, however, he didn't complete the system as MOG LMBS did.

Note: To be honest, don't west your time on this one, it's not finished and the owner didn't update it for many years now(2017), I put it here for knowledge preppers only, in case it will help someone.

*** And as always, let me know if is any other plugin/tools you think I missed, I will check AS SOON AS I CAN and add it to the list.

Happy Game Making,

TGA

Last edited:

Lanzy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exactly what I was looking for. Great!

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this would be more useful if you didn't have to click on the links to figure out how each battle system actually works - even just a one or two sentence description of each one would make a huge difference.

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this would be more useful if you didn't have to click on the links to figure out how each battle system actually works - even just a one or two sentence description of each one would make a huge difference.
Thank you for the feedback, Solar_Flare!
I only added the overall information, I will add a few words with background info for each of them as soon as I can.

Edit: I just added a 'description' for each of the systems that include basic info for the system.

Last edited:

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for the feedback, Solar_Flare!
I only added the over all info, I will add few words with background info for each of them as soon as I can.
As you mentioned my plugins, I'd add some info on mine:
doublex ATB Plugins
ATB System with many plugins adds on to the ATB System.
It supports at least the following:
1. From full active mode to partially active mode to full wait mode(supports hotkeys to forcibly run/stop the ATB as well)
3. Charging skills(A skill takes some time to prepare before being executed) that can be cancelled during charging by pressing hotkeys
4. Skill cooldowns(The battler takes some time to cooldown after executing a skill before the ATB starts filling again)
6. CTB mode
7. Customisable delay time for enemies/actors with auto action input between becoming able to inputting actions and actually inputting them
8. Customisable additional events to happen upon important things introduced by ATB
11. Customisable ATB reset value right after executing all actions and their cooldowns
13. Customisable ATB fill proportion upon battle start(handling normal, preemptive and surprise cases)

>>> To undersent more how ATB works and what's it change check(click) out the info about the Battle System - ATB (YEP), for even more info-futures some of them have, check this post.
My "solid understanding on writing ATB system plugins" are for those wishing to learn hoe ATB system plugins can be written, although those wanting to know how a paritcular ATB system plugin works can still read that(It covered doublex ATB Plugins, Ellye's ATB(also includes CTB option) and VE - Active Time Battle) :)

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As you mentioned my plugins, I'd add some info on mine:

It supports at least the following:
6. CTB mode

My "solid understanding on writing ATB system plugins" are for those wishing to learn hoe ATB system plugins can be written, although those wanting to know how a particular ATB system plugin works can still read that(It covered doublex ATB Plugins, Ellye's ATB(also includes CTB option) and VE - Active Time Battle) :)
Hey DoubleX, glad to see you still around :) I just added this extra info you provide, it should be good now, if I missed anything feels free to let me know, the main reason for this post is to give the most correct and current information.

Side note: In case you didn't know, In your post in this forum, the link to 'Basic knowledge on writing ATB' doesn't work anymore, that why I added the one you have in the other forum.

Last edited:

wushi17ie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very impressive work thank you so much for the post! I'm sure this will help lots of people.

Looks like you have spent some effort on LeTBS (you've written some add-ons for it), this is also the one that fits my need the most, but I'm having problems making it compatible with Orange Overlay and QMovement... Is there any chance that you have had trouble using them together and potentially have found a solution to make them work?

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very impressive work thank you so much for the post! I'm sure this will help lots of people.

Looks like you have spent some effort on LeTBS (you've written some add-ons for it), this is also the one that fits my need the most, but I'm having problems making it compatible with Orange Overlay and QMovement... Is there any chance that you have had trouble using them together and potentially have found a solution to make them work?
Hey wushi17ie, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

About the problem you have, what compatibility problem you have exactly?
From my check with MV version 1.6 and above QMovement works fine (just make sure to have QPlus to work).

As for 'orange overlay' I only test it for errors and got non so it should work.

- There is a 'demo' working in the main post, I just added it above, try using QMovement and 'orange overlay' in the demo, it may solve your problem. link to the demo.

- Also make sure to put both of the plugins (+QPlus so three plugins) above all 'LeTBS' plugins (in the plugin manager), sometimes that make compatibility problems.

- If the problem still appears with the demo and you didn't add any other plugins other then these three, let me know what exactly not working.

wushi17ie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @TheGameAfter thanks for replying!

I'm on MV 1.6.2, I tried the demo from the LeTBS main post (good idea of trying the incompatibility issue on the demo!) and still see some problems with Orange Overlay (1.1.4). So, no matter if I put Orange Overlay before or after LeTBS plugins, some pictures including the cursor indicator (the four corner image indicating which grid the character is going to interact with) and the chest on the battle map won't show with Orange Overlay turned on. I have made screenshots of the problem below:

w/o Orange Overlay (expected result):
no_orange_overlay.PNG
w/ Orange Overlay:
with_orange_overlay.PNG

Notice in the screenshot below, the chest is missing at the top left of the reachable area of the active character (Lucius). Also, although the grid on Lucius's right and the grid below it are correctly highlighted, the cursor indicator is not there.

I'm sorry this is not the intent of your original post (which, again, is absolutely great and I wish I had seen it before my battle system plugin search). I was just checking maybe you had a quick answer. I also asked in the LeTBS main thread about the problem with a gif of what I'm actually seeing in my game.

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @TheGameAfter thanks for replying!

I'm on MV 1.6.2, I tried the demo from the LeTBS main post (good idea of trying the incompatibility issue on the demo!) and still see some problems with Orange Overlay (1.1.4). So, no matter if I put Orange Overlay before or after LeTBS plugins, some pictures including the cursor indicator (the four corner image indicating which grid the character is going to interact with) and the chest on the battle map won't show with Orange Overlay turned on. I have made screenshots of the problem below:

w/o Orange Overlay (expected result):
View attachment 163008
w/ Orange Overlay:
View attachment 163009

Notice in the screenshot below, the chest is missing at the top left of the reachable area of the active character (Lucius). Also, although the grid on Lucius's right and the grid below it are correctly highlighted, the cursor indicator is not there.

I'm sorry this is not the intent of your original post (which, again, is absolutely great and I wish I had seen it before my battle system plugin search). I was just checking maybe you had a quick answer. I also asked in the LeTBS main thread about the problem with a gif of what I'm actually seeing in my game.
Edit:
I see. you can try the fixed version by Tsukitsune for the original 'orange overlay' (added below), didn't test it but maybe it works better, other than that I'm not sure and you better wait for an answer in the official plugin post, also you can ask 'hudull' itself (the creator of the 'orange overlay').

Personally, I'm using the' OcRam Layers' plugin, cost few boxes ($5 I think) but is better when it comes to working with other plugins, you also get full support from the dev (OcRam) to fix problems like this and make a patch if needed, and it already works with some plugins orange overlay is not (orange overlay have problems with some other plugins as well).

I wish I can help more, good luck with your project!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mojo907

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Think Alpha ABS has wrong author listed.. should be KageDesu I believe

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Think Alpha ABS has wrong author listed.. should be KageDesu I believe
I think I sew this name in his official 'Github', but its better to add the name he uses in the forum/website, not sure why I didn't, anyway fixed it now, thanks for pointing it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noicchi