oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking to create some custom tall SV battlers and the Dark Fantasy Battlers (like Harold below) hit almost the exact sweet spot I'm looking for between cartoony and weighty. I was hoping someone had made a blank template for sprites like this but I haven't been able to find any (in particular I like the wide stance of these sprites compared to the more straight-legged pose of most tall SV battler templates I've seen).

Anyone know of any sprite templates that match these guys?

3_Actor1_1.png

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am not sure if they are 100% the same style, but there are these:

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those definitely are closer than some I've found, but they're about 75% smaller (so they blur a bit when sized up) and their heads are comparatively bigger and more chibi as well. One of the big potential advantages of the Dark Fantasy style actors is that their heads are identical to the standard MV battler heads, they're just on a more proportionate body. So things like hair and accessories can be slotted on easily (which is a big thing, as I find hair super-fiddly to animate, so being able to just copy-paste the generator hairstyles would be a huge advantage).

Whitewitchworks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
There used to be a thread with a Tutorial on how to extend the MV Character sprite to be taller and still look natural I'll see if I can find it for you

Edit: Aha found it :) And funnily enough it's Averys thread :)

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From Dan's thread...

Warning! The default weapons will be in the wrong position when you use taller battlers.
Which is why I content myself with the default style battlers, even if their chibi style is at odds with my darker game content. I have no clue where to find or how to make weapons that would be in the right position for tallstyle battlers.

Whitewitchworks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
From Dan's thread...

Which is why I content myself with the default style battlers, even if their chibi style is at odds with my darker game content. I have no clue where to find or how to make weapons that would be in the right position for tallstyle battlers.
That's a simple editing thing, Simply load the sprit sheet into a program like krita or GIMP and then align the weapons on a seperate layer, hide the layer with the battlers and save the file as a PNG

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There used to be a thread with a Tutorial on how to extend the MV Character sprite to be taller and still look natural I'll see if I can find it for you

Edit: Aha found it :) And funnily enough it's Averys thread :)

It's a good tutorial for walking sprites, but SV battlers are going to be a lot trickier, especially since they need to be expanded in two dimensions, not just height. Otherwise you get things like long biceps and tiny little forearms.

From Dan's thread...

Yeah, it's annoying. But since I'll be drawing on outfits anyway it's not super hard to include weapons, since I don't have a huge variety, and create alternate sprite sheets for the different weapons and then switch the sprites out based on the equipment.

EDIT: Alternatively, if anyone knows where I could find a male counterpart to Draciel's Vibrato style battlers (or indeed just a template for any of Vibrato's battlers because they're all great), those would be useful as well.

Last edited:

fireflyege

Magic is the destination of all wisdom.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That may be a noob question but why would anyone want templates only? I mean, we need generator parts to properly utilize the templates, don't we?

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a lot easier to draw clothes and hair (though the latter isn't relevant to this set) onto a pre-existing base sprite than it is to draw the entire thing from scratch.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That may be a noob question but why would anyone want templates only? I mean, we need generator parts to properly utilize the templates, don't we?
It's fairly easy to draw clothing onto a template that already has shading and proportions in place. The Dark Fantasy template also matches the head of the standard character, so things like hair and hats (which are harder to draw spontaneously) can be put on it easily.

fireflyege

Magic is the destination of all wisdom.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's fairly easy to draw clothing onto a template that already has shading and proportions in place. The Dark Fantasy template also matches the head of the standard character, so things like hair and hats (which are harder to draw spontaneously) can be put on it easily.
Oh, I see. I am not an artist so I didn't know that.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not the same style
but it's cool too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've just checked my account balance...
Here's the graveyard area I'm currently working on for another small project! (This is actually an RPG and not a puzzle game for once)
In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
Did you know that we use robotic spy animals to learn about how different species behave in the wild? We're only a step away from robotic spy humans, and then Terminator. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AikoKurasu