MV Guides - How to make a Character Creation System with Events!

Korzara

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
MV Guides:
~ Presented by Korzara Development ~
 ​
How to make a Character Creation System with Events:
(Note: Please look over your character creation event and make sure the "Name Input Proccessing" is set to right actor. I forgot to address this in the video...)
 ​

PuppetBlaster

Newbie :) and proud of it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
what im looking for is how to make it where once the players are in the game they can create their own character like choose hair style male or female clothing glasses like personalize their character to thier own liking 

Korzara

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
what im looking for is how to make it where once the players are in the game they can create their own character like choose hair style male or female clothing glasses like personalize their character to thier own liking 
You may have to expand upon the character creation system displayed in the video.

Ex: Have choices like Hair 1, 2 or 3 and choices like Clothes 1, 2, 3, etc.

PuppetBlaster

Newbie :) and proud of it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
thats all i can do well that blows 

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's not all you can do, but it is a lot of work. I applaud this being here and having the options, on the BASE level, that's all you can do. You can expand upon that. The only thing is, you will have to make the character's Face, SV, TV, and TVD images for each possible color combination and track carefully what you want each one to be so it links up well. I don't think you can have the game actually make the color combinations for you unless there is a way to script a filter on the character to change it's color for you with a slider or something.

That said, it would be possible to have a character creation system where you talk to the iteration you like for appearances. Maybe have an event that looks like the character choice with the another event walking in a circle behind it to show the option. Each time you talk to a character give a confirmation then lock in that part. If you have an actor numbering system for the options as they build you could organize it rather well, but it would be a lot of work and time consuming to get it done, not to mention the game size grows exponentially for each choice which can be a concern depending on porting method to mobile if that is a platform you are considering.

Nice tutorial! Thanks for taking the time. Sure sparked my imagination on what I want to do.

lexisgemini

Villager
Reaction score
okay so i get one issue. i can't seem to get it to change the class when the game starts its set for three class's using choices like you showed. The first is the warrior second being a Mage and the third being a Priest. maybe i missed something in my events set up but it'll only start them as hero. I can pm screens as i dont want to use a grip of space here.

Eiyer

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Would it not be easier just to make it where every new game starts out with you in a big room full of classes/characters and you get to choose what you want to be? Might be easiest...would there be a way to tie something like this into "depending on what you pick slightly changes story? Or an RPG with multiple stories.

Mindless Monk

The Mindless Monk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey man this is really cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

El_Corbeau

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
This tutorial is ok, but it is limited and will bring problems in different kind of games.

One problem is that you can't easily use the /[n] function in your message since the main character's actor number is different.
You can't change the player stats easily either since you have to select an actor's number to do that.
In fact, anything that uses actor's number will be problematic.

Also, if you include new party member, you'll have to make them number 6 or more. This is not a problem but can be tiresome if you do a lot of eventing since lower in the list.

To improve, you should just change the main character look based on the event choices in the set movement route event command.
In other words, do choices inside choices (with select choices) until the player selected all you wanted, then change the character look with the set movement route. You'll see a change image option inside the set movement route that let's you do that.

And if you use switches to register the choices of the player, so you can reuse that choice in dialogue or cutscene in the game. 

omega1227

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a great tutorial, but it poses a problem.

Once the player has chosen their avatar, how do you represent this in the game? As in, how do you display the proper face when the character is speaking?

Ash15

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Please excuse me if I ask this in the incorrect thread or forum section, I'm a complete noob and I'm still learning how to navigate the forums. If this is the incorrect place, I'll re-post this comment elsewhere.
Anyways, how did you get your character appear in the center of the screen? I set the character's starting position to [8,6] (which seems to be the center on my map) and they keep appearing in the upper-most left corner at [0,0]. I even tried to set the event location to [8,6] and it still positions the character in the corner.

I'm not sure if having the trial version of RPG Maker MV limits me in some way, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Nod Narb

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This tutorial is ok, but it is limited and will bring problems in different kind of games.

One problem is that you can't easily use the /[n] function in your message since the main character's actor number is different.
You can't change the player stats easily either since you have to select an actor's number to do that.
In fact, anything that uses actor's number will be problematic.

Also, if you include new party member, you'll have to make them number 6 or more. This is not a problem but can be tiresome if you do a lot of eventing since lower in the list.

To improve, you should just change the main character look based on the event choices in the set movement route event command.
In other words, do choices inside choices (with select choices) until the player selected all you wanted, then change the character look with the set movement route. You'll see a change image option inside the set movement route that let's you do that.

And if you use switches to register the choices of the player, so you can reuse that choice in dialogue or cutscene in the game. 

If you change it to \P[1] it will always use the name of the first party member. As long as you make the first party member the playable character, this solves that issue.

naming text code.png

Nod Narb

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am having an issue where in my hero is talking and I don't know how to pull the character face up for the chat window. I can manually set it, but when I play the game, it wont reset to a different character if someone chooses one.

Nod Narb

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am having an issue where in my hero is talking and I don't know how to pull the character face up for the chat window. I can manually set it, but when I play the game, it wont reset to a different character if someone chooses one.
 I figured out how to do this. Download Yanfly's Message Core then insert the code from the site based on what you want. You can see what I did in my text box. It shows the randomly chosen human/elf/job picture of the actor that's associated with the players choice. Yay!

PF.png

SinのAria

The Chaotic One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C++
Primarily Uses
N/A
There is actually another way that you could do this and that is to change the image and sprites of the first character.

Tab 3 of event commands -> System Settings -> Change Actor Images

I did a lot of eventing in an experiment to not use any scripts while achieving almost the same results back in VX Ace and a lot of the event methods still work even if the scripting side changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin Hoot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I just tried this and it worked great! Thank you sir!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone who uses Yanfly's Gab Window plugin: are there any features it lacks that you wish it had?
Working on Zelda-like tileset. Should be greatly refined. And tonight extra pave tiles, outward corners, abyss and water...
Is it possible to move posts from the in-progress project forum to completed games? I think I need to message a mod but a bit worried about bothering them
Bleeding Moons has its release date: September 3rd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz