[MV] Help with Random Variables not Repeating themselves.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Nerdboy, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

I've found tips and tricks to figuring this out in the forums but i want to confirm if what im doing is right because i have a long list of 100 possible random text msgs and id like to know if my code is right before i start to input it. basically trying to use random variables to generate if else statements that dont repeat that output in text msgs.

note - the switch on is for another function that im using, so its needed you can ignore that part.

this is the simplest way ive gotten it down but want someone to look it over to see if this works or not? cuz its gonna be a very tedious process to input 100 random text msgs, as i dont really know how to do it using arrays since im not sure how to remove variables from arrays in javascript. tried looking it up... but... anyhow...

heres the code

if switch is on
    control variable X = random 1..25
    if x = 1
    loop
    if x = uniqueID1
    else
    break loop
    end
    if x = 1
    display_message
    control variable uniqueID1 = x
    end
    else
    if x = 2
    loop
    if x = uniqueID2
    else
    break loop
    end
    if x = 2
    display_message
    control variable uniqueID2 = x
    end
    repeat for all 100 display messages

ok so does the code above look right to you? will it work? idk since i havent tried it yet, i may have to but, id like to save me the hassle of going through the whole process and then finding out it still repeats....!!!!

so i tried doing this using a small pool and it doesnt work for some reason, what happens is it doesnt repeat *good but then it also doesnt display the text messages after it displays itself once and only once. what am i doing wrong?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nah, there's an easier way.

You create a variable that is an array, and you either put the numbers 1-100 into the elements, or you put the messages themselves into the elements. For ease of use, I'd put the messages into the elements. To do this, create a new common event, and add a command to create the array with no elements:
    Code:
    Script: $gameVariables.setValue(x, [])

where x is your variable id - no leading zeros.

Then for each of your messages, push that message onto the array. You can do several of these in a single script call, and when you run out of room, just move on to the next script call:
    Code:
    Script: $gameVariables.value(x).push('This is the first message');
           $gameVariables.value(x).push('This is the second message');
           $gameVariables.value(x).push('This is the third message');

Script: $gameVariables.value(x).push('This is the 99th message');
           $gameVariables.value(x).push('This is the 100th message');

Now each time you want to show one of the messages, you'll first check the array to see that there IS a message to retrieve - if there is, you'll retrieve it, if there isn't, you'll call the common event to recreate the array. To do this:
    Code:
    Conditional Branch: $gameVariables.value(x).length == 0
        Common Event: reset messages
    End

$gameVariables.setValue(y, $gameVariables.value(x).splice(Math.floor(Math.random() * $gameVariables.value(x).length), 1))
    This randomly chooses one of the messages in the array, removes it from the array, and places it in variable y. Then you can use the \v[y] escape code (replacing y in the code above and in the escape code) to display it in a message box.

It would actually be better if you used a plugin to store the messages, because using a variable is going to put all the message strings into the save file. You could also use numbers instead of text, but then you'd have to do a whole stack of conditional branches to see which number was chosen and display the correct message. Both of the approaches are messy, but both are easier than what you were trying to go with originally.

3. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

I should've clarified, i was simplifying what I was trying to do, thats why im using the loop and loop break with uniqueID's.

Can you use the above method, with 'show choice' ala multiple choices? and also have extra message box displayed on top of it, so first message, then show choice, then 2nd message. using arrays might get too complicated for this, since it uses mv show choice for what im trying to do.

your method does give me ideas as to how to proceed with splice thats what i was trying to figure out. but, wouldn't it be simpler to use my method in my circumstance? it works somewhat, like it doesn't repeat, but once text message is displayed it only displays once and only once when all options are used up, nothing is displayed. which is good maybe have everything in nested if else statement with last else to output message saying something that tells player all options have been used up. if i did it that way my way works, but kinda not intentional just way code is structured.

using my method unless your method *shaz is easier with what i just said, what would i have to do nest or loop possibly to get it to display more than once but not repeat itself at the same time? tricky i know. if we cant figure out a solution then well, i might just use the nested if else statement and output "all options used up".