MV : How to make player have to select item in menu in order to use it?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Kacribus, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Kacribus

Kacribus Metal Dinosaur Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker MV specific : How do I make a player have to select an item in their menu in order to use it or apply it to the item or subject in front of them? I can't find a video on it either.

Elaboration : The player picks up an enchanted harp. They encounter a character looking for the enchanted harp. Th player has to open their menu and select the harp in order to give it to the player.

2. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One of your event commands is "select item," on the first page under the "message" heading. This will bring up a list of the player's items, and have them pick one. It puts the ID of the item they select in the variable you specify- if they pick your harp, which is item ID 13, then it'll store "13" in the variable.

On the next line, you can put a condition that "if (the variable you're using) = 13" then they showed the guy the harp. If it's any other value, they tried to show him something that isn't the harp.

3. Solis

Solis Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You could use the item, make it not "vanish on use", activate a variable. Have NPC check for said variable in if condition statement. If variable is +1 (or switch) , harp was used.

Kacribus likes this.
  4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can approach this with two ways.
    Either you set up the NPC Event to have another Event Page with Condition that the player owns the Harp, thus you start a different conversation and set a different switch, let's say to make the NPC disappear (third Event Page that will be empty with Condition that switch). That way you can bypass the whole go-to-menu-use-harp thing.

Otherwise, you can make the Harp usable, executing a common event.
    You go to database and make a common Event named harp.
    You throw a Conditional Branch in, to check if you are facing the NPC. (This is a little tricky, cause it has to do with the X and Y position of the NPC event). If true, something happens, otherwise you just show a message like "It is a harp. Nothing to do with it here."

Kacribus likes this.
  5. Kacribus

Kacribus Metal Dinosaur Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Doktor_Q I like the general idea of that but what I'm looking for is to have the player have to open the menu themselves and select the item they think is what the event in front of them is looking for.

@Dreadshadow I feel like what you're telling me would work or may be what I'm looking for but blobs of text doesn't do me too well, could you screenshot me an example of what the event pages would look like for this?

6. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For instance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix26n2ncsof4ky0/HasItem.PNG?dl=0

You can make an event interact differently, if someone on the party has an item.
    Instead of Potion, put there the harp.

Second Eventing Page will execute instead of the Firtst, if you own the harp.

P.S. Sorry for the lame sketchy letters! :p

If you DO wanna use the harp though... give me a moment to edith this reply further to add what to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzl7zg5zwsgve46/1.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9084kgunv8wv2lj/2.PNG?dl=0

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018