Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking for moving sprites (and faces for those sprites) that are based on varying bits. An 8 bit character, a 16 bit character, and a 32 bit character. I'd prefer a medieval look but that's about all the specifications I've got, I'm sure I'll fit them into the story no matter what gender or height. I'd just prefer it if you put as much detail into the characters as you can (or as much as you feel necessary.) Like swords on a character's back that sways with each step, scars, eyepatches, hats, the sort.

Incredible detail like the items I've mentioned above aren't necessary, I don't honestly expect anyone to put THAT much effort into a project for a random stranger on the internet but it'd still be much appreciated.

Reactions: J-G

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Might be able to help depending on what exactly you mean by 8 bit/ 16 bit/ 32 bit
Do you mean 8x8 16x16 32x32
Do you mean an 8-bit/16 bit/32 bit color palette?
Do you simply mean something in the style of those games?

Might be able to help out, and will happily try! I will warn you ahead of time that i'm much better at 8x8 and 16x16 top down sprites than 32x32

also do you have any reference pictures? It's a lot easier if i know the style of what you are working on!
Finally what sprites do you need? Idle, walk, run, battle, hurt, etc?

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Both color palette and style are what I was thinking. I only really need the walking and hurt sprites since I don't use side battler too often.

The best references I could find were from FF and FFVI for 8 and 16 bit sprites. I couldn't find any 32-bit sprites that were fantasy related, they were all just Megaman X sprites so I apologize for that. If that part can't be done then I'm fine with just 8 and 16 bit styled sprites.

Attachments

• 8ff10fa6c4d5b6e4c2c01bf5fedae6d0--sprites-final-fantasy.jpg
    8ff10fa6c4d5b6e4c2c01bf5fedae6d0--sprites-final-fantasy.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 11
  • G9Xt3VndVwJBFDvfZpchRsSJaOT0F1vyNn5ecCEylJA.png
    G9Xt3VndVwJBFDvfZpchRsSJaOT0F1vyNn5ecCEylJA.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 11

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok! I really just need three other things
1 do you have a specific dimension preference? In general most 8 bit sprites are 16x16 per tile and 16 bit tends to be 32x32, so if you want to emulate the style, but i can do other dimensions as well.
2 do you want me to do a slightly modernized color palette for the 8 bit? as in keep the color pallete limit but use more fitting colors.
3 do you want tall sprites or short sprites (two tiles high or 1 tile high) 1 tile is easier to work with in RPG maker as its what the RTP sprites are and most 8 bit sprites are short, but a lot of games from the 16 bit era, including your example, use tall sprites.

Also i should probably tell you in advance that as of right now i'm pretty busy and it might take a week or more to finish, as i will probably make a base then work from that. If you do short 16x16 for the eight bit, i already have a base for that that i can use with some adjustments, so it will take a bit less time.

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok! I really just need three other things
1 do you have a specific dimension preference? In general most 8 bit sprites are 16x16 per tile and 16 bit tends to be 32x32, so if you want to emulate the style, but i can do other dimensions as well.
2 do you want me to do a slightly modernized color palette for the 8 bit? as in keep the color pallete limit but use more fitting colors.
3 do you want tall sprites or short sprites (two tiles high or 1 tile high) 1 tile is easier to work with in RPG maker as its what the RTP sprites are and most 8 bit sprites are short, but a lot of games from the 16 bit era, including your example, use tall sprites.

Also i should probably tell you in advance that as of right now i'm pretty busy and it might take a week or more to finish, as i will probably make a base then work from that. If you do short 16x16 for the eight bit, i already have a base for that that i can use with some adjustments, so it will take a bit less time.
Honestly just whatever you think would make each character look the best without bothering you with too much work.

I prefer to give the artist most of the control over their development process since I've got no clue how half of that stuff works. I'm fine with a short 16x16 for the 8-bit since that would definitely match the era, I've really got no say on the 16 or 32 bit characters as that's far beyond my understanding as of now.

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok i'm working on the 8-bit sprites and wanted to ask which of these you prefer

Version A: Closer to color pallette limit of 8 bit games, but less detailed and flatter
Walk cycle 8 bit simple.gif
Walk cycle 8 bit simple.png
Or
B: Strays from the color limit to add shading and more detail
Walk cycle 8 bit complex clone.gifWalk cycle 8 bit complex clone.png
Just wanted to know so i can work on a couple more sprites and the damaged sprites for the 8 bit

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Whoops, forgot to fix the hair on version A it actually looks like this! Sorry bout that!
Walk cycle 8 bit simple.gifWalk cycle 8 bit simple.png

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also, what do you think of something like this for 8-bit damage sprites?Damage 8 bit complex clone clone.gifDamage 8 bit complex clone clone (1).png

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@LittenDev, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thought i'd give an update on the 16 bit walk, still got a lot of work but i have the basics done, mostly fixing left.
Walk cycle 16 bit V1.gifWalk cycle 16 bit V1.png

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thought i'd give an update on the 16 bit walk, still got a lot of work but i have the basics done, mostly fixing left.
View attachment 187630View attachment 187631
I'm sorry for not clarifying this sooner, I meant an 8 bit character and a 16 bit character who aren't the same person. I've already got 2/4ths of the main party designed and I was looking for two more characters to add. I'm only just now realizing that I didn't outright say it and that's my mistake.

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh! thats fine! i was planning on doing multiple sprites, it's just easier to test this way! It's fine!
I just want to know if the style is ok!

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh! thats fine! i was planning on doing multiple sprites, it's just easier to test this way! It's fine!
I just want to know if the style is ok!
That's a relief, I was worried you might already have invested too much time into one character to turn back. You don't have to worry about the style though, I think it works perfectly for what I had in mind.

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Don't worry! it's surprisingly easy to change a model! Really it's just an issue of changing the clothes and accessories, shortening and changing the hair, and changing the colors. The hardest part is always doing the first one and getting the walk cycle to look nice!

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey thought I would let you know that it might be a few more days, i've been super busy since tuesday and haven't had much time to work on the sprites. Just wanted to let you know that i haven't abandoned the project and hope to get back to it as soon as i can!

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey thought I would let you know that it might be a few more days, i've been super busy since tuesday and haven't had much time to work on the sprites. Just wanted to let you know that i haven't abandoned the project and hope to get back to it as soon as i can!
No worries, I'm not in any rush to get things done.

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry these took so long, but here you go! Is there anything you want me to change?
Also please use the new files for the 8 bit sprites as the old ones weren't properly formatted, so unless you want the characters walking backward to the side, i would recommend using the new ones :kaoswt2:
Hope you enjoy the sprites!
Walk cycle 8 bit .png
Damage 8 bit complex clone clone (1).pngWalk cycle 16 bit V1.pngWalk cycle 16 bit Damage.png

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry these took so long, but here you go! Is there anything you want me to change?
Also please use the new files for the 8 bit sprites as the old ones weren't properly formatted, so unless you want the characters walking backward to the side, i would recommend using the new ones :kaoswt2:
Hope you enjoy the sprites!
View attachment 188576
View attachment 188577View attachment 188578View attachment 188579
No need to change anything, these are perfect. Thank you so much.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Generate Actors, Dark Fantasy Monsters, & I Heard There Was a Chosen One, | RPG Maker News #42

Work on Cat Quest: The Last Catmancer continues slowly but surely. :kaopride: Today I received the Game Over screen from @Finnuval!
GameOver.png
Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingMeteor277