RMMV MV Math Battle!

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by izyees, Dec 19, 2018.

?

Do you like the system so far?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. izyees

izyees My Secret Santa Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Hello guys, this is the prototype version for my Math Battle System in RPG Maker MV. This is just a showcase for you guys to comment and vote about this system. If you like this system and want me to continue the project, I will.

This project is an import-to-mv from this video:

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
    • The game basically about educational content (Mathematic to be exact)
    • In the given time, player need to answer the question and equation
    • If the player run out of time or the answer is wrong, the enemy will cast their skills.
    • If the player got it correct, the hero cast it skills.

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS IDEAS [Main]
    • Instead of auto-cast, player can choose its skill to cast.
    • The skill cast require Mana Points.
    • Control timer [More below]
    • Player can use items in combat.

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS IDEAS [Control Timer]
    • The given time were based on difficulty (Easy, Normal, Hard)
    • The difficulty will well-balanced (Easy - 10 Sec, Normal - 7 Sec, Hard - 4 Sec)
    • The time will be recorded and it will define either the damage were Missed, Critical Damage or Normal Damage.

More info on : Itch.io

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. Black Pagan

Black Pagan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice, That's a Unique Combat based Learning System. The only problem I have with it is it seems quite slow. Think of ways to make it a lot faster, I would say Twice as fast - Perhaps both the Dialogue and the Battle Animation, so its sort of Challenging.

You could also consider using Displays such as Heart symbol, Those seem fancier than using Raw Numbers. I mean, Make it a Quick round of 5 Questions with 5 Hearts. For every Question wrong, You lose a Heart Icon. Something like that would seem really cool ! :)

Also, I feel you could even use Longer Puzzle solving elements instead of simple numbers. Examples : Jack has 15 Apple seeds, 20 Orange seeds and 20 Tomato seeds. How many Seeds in total does he have ?

Not many people like to solve simple numbers, But addition of Dialogue and Problems make it seem interesting and involving.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Wavelength likes this.
  3. curioushika

curioushika Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not-English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the concept :kaojoy:

However, I feel like scrolling through the numbers to input the answer is rather time-consuming. I kinda hope you can make the answer input uses keyboard instead.

And if possible, I think perhaps addition of skills (like healing, time extending or buff-like skills) in the future will make it more interesting. :)

4. muteo

muteo Villager Member

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like the others said, it feels currently too slow. Maybe the player could attack multiple times per one turn by answerin more than one math problem. The consept is intresting and I hope you keep developing it.

5. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You might want to check out Prodigy Math Game. My son has been playing it. It looks like a math rpg.

6. MagicPizzaGuy

MagicPizzaGuy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I liked the concept, but it feels slow to input the numbers

7. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Making a game to help teach kids math is a very noble goal, but it will be for naught if the experience isn't engaging. Your game will need to feel quick, smooth, and rewarding. Here are some things I recommend building out:
    • As several others have said, use keyboard input rather than the game's default "Numeric Entry". Scrolling through all the numbers isn't fun, and will be frustrating when you only have a few seconds to input your answer. MV makes it pretty easy to detect whether a button is being pressed, so you can check whether the numeric keys (and backspace) are being pressed to accept the entry of numbers. Ask in "Learning JavaScript" if you can't find any good plugins to help you with this.
    • Additionally, don't use text boxes to show HP. Show the HP gauges onscreen using a plugin (you may need to assign HP to two different characters and connect those to gauges onscreen, depending on the plugin). Quicker, more intuitive, more visceral.
    • Give the player something to earn or collect. It could be something as simple as badges a la Pokemon, or it could be something like a full RPG inventory with usable items. Make it very obvious when they earn something new. Kids like being rewarded in the short-term for their accomplishments.
    • Consider a "combo" system where multiple correct answers in a row will have the player launch a really cool-looking and powerful attack instead of a normal one.
    • Have some battles where multiple enemies are onscreen at once (even if the player is only fighting one at a time). I think it will feel like more of an accomplishment to wipe a whole set of enemies than to keep doing one-on-ones.
    • One other way you could approach the timer is to have the enemies attack every X seconds, and the player will attack every time they get a question correct. The player's HP sort of acts as an "overall timer" - for example, if the player has 500 HP and the enemy does 50 damage each time they attack, and the enemy attacks every 10 seconds, then the player has 1:40 to finish off the enemy before dropping himself. Therefore, it still pays to work quick - but coming in one second late won't be a complete failure. You can also add "time trials" where kids compete against each other to take down a boss the quickest or something!
    I wish you all the best of luck with this worthy project.

8. Angel.K1tty

Angel.K1tty Artist with a side of Elegance Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This remembers me of a calculus game I made back in highschool. My teacher gave us a project where we had to make some kind of educational product that other students could use to review calculus. I decided to make a RMMV game. The basis was that the MC had to go past a magical gate so they could go to a city, but in order to pass they had to collect a certain number of gems. Every specific gem had a different math problem to it, and you could only collect the gems if you got the coordinating question right. If you answered the question wrong, the gem would explode and disappear. This was set in a maze where the player had to travel around and find the gems to collect them. Needless to say, there were more gems in the maze than what was required, so the player could answer different questions if they were too hard and had multiple chances if they got one wrong. I know this is not explicit advice, but I thought it could serve as some kind of inspiration. I hope this was useful ^.^

9. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To other peoples comments on the speed of the game I agree. Might I suggest instead of showing a number box maybe showing an image instead? For instance, say the equation is 11+28=39 Give them three decent sized images that don't flood the screen all the way and have two wrong answers and one right.

Though the player can "button mash" if they lose too much health heal them once and say, try again. Maybe curbing the behavior of guessing and actually thinking of the numbers.

It might add more engagement.