(MV)Mystery game that randomizes the suspect one every playthrough?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by captainette777, May 13, 2018.

1. captainette777

captainette777 Mad Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure whether this belongs here or on Maker Specific, so I hope I'm not bothering anybody by asking--

I have a game where you solve a murder by getting info from random people inside a room and arresting the culprit. I'm wondering if there was a way to randomize the culprit every game.I thought about using a variable that would pick one character to be the perpetrator, and that same variable would also decide what lines every other character would say that would eventually point to the villain(it could even be the player). It's a very short game with only <10 characters in it, basically made for a fun experiment. What do you think?

Btw, my main inspiration for this is a game called Sleuth for the Windows, and possibly the board game Cluedo/Clue. Hope that's good info!

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As this is a "how do I ..." and is very specific to your game, it would go into the MV Support forum.

The approach you are describing is exactly what I think you'd need to do. To make it easier to do the eventing, have as many pages on each event as you have potential culprits, and condition the pages by the randomized variable. That means everything on a single event page would be for just one scenario, and you don't have to worry about a heap of conditional branches to handle all the possible suspects.

The logic of the design is going to be the hardest part - deciding what everyone says for each potential culprit and making sure the player can figure out who it was based on the clues.

Sauteed_Onion and captainette777 like this.
  3. captainette777

captainette777 Mad Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the quick help! I like that idea the most, it's good to not worry about having to download a plugin or something. Also, I had a feeling this is in the wrong spot. Sorry...:hswt:

4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

And no worries, it happens. :)