MV / MZ Battler sheet flexibility?

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm looking to reformat/duplicate my battlers into the Default MV/MZ layout. However there's some issues I'm finding that put me off initially from doing these.
The 18 poses that are within the default layout has a number of poses which I feel are redundant to many custom made characters (Understand that they'd be relevant to the generator and such).

So how flexible is the sheet when it comes to altering what it does within the engine? Is it possible to do whilst keeping user friendliness and compatibility open. Obviously it would need a plug in to change what each pose does and when to show it.

I have a couple of concepts of pose layouts, and one leaving a blank pose for credits. But I'd like to work with a group (like here/discord etc) to get something like this going.

Future wise I'd love to see things like visual weapon equipment, battler pets etc.

But yeah firstly without having much knowledge of the goings on within MV and MZ being not to far away I'd like to get something started with this. I've already got like 100 images ready to shift around.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is as flexible as to how the plugin writer managed to make it as flexible as possible.

Before MV there were no standard SV battlers so you're free to make a format on your own and ask other scripters to follow your sprite sheet format. But now with the generator and built-in SV battles, means we now have a standard format that everyone has to follow whether you like it or not. Making a different layout of SV battler is just asking other users to do an extra step, even if it means "use this plugin so you could use my sheet".

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally, I would prefer boundless format when it comes to sprite format. CMIIW the sprite format MV has till now is partly for sake of generator's convenience because you know, built-in character generator exists.

However, flexible spritesheet format raises another question: is it possible to make our own rules for the sheets when it's in the editor?
The most feasible option per now, from little I know about plugins, is by making sheet rules written in a plugin. Not that user friendly, yes, but this opens another possibility of making custom sheet rules exclusively for, say, Actor #1, while everyone else uses the default rules.

Then again, it all depends on one's needs. Sometime there will be someone who needs some different spritesheet format for their projects. Who knows?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are we talking strictly side-view? What about 4 directional battlers? (w/ atk & cast animations)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Considering it's Holder who is asking, I assume it's SV battlers.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can try to guess but.
@Holder @richter_h I doubt it will be possible out of the box and will be builded with an fixed ammount I assume.

ALTHOUGH with plugins we will be able to unlock and with the new pluginEditor making custom framerate per sheet / row will not be impossible.

all you have to do is assign an array Struct with the setting in the pluginManager then bind it to a skill or an actor / enemy (which is selectable in the pluginManager pretty easily btw) and setup.
so no need of clunky notetag.

I might try to work something once MZ come out. I already had some idea I can sketch in MV

I.E : actor : [ {actorID : 1, filename : "", frame: 5, speed: 3}]
etc this would be what the pluginManager would be outputing for us plugindev.

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It is as flexible as to how the plugin writer managed to make it as flexible as possible.

Before MV there were no standard SV battlers so you're free to make a format on your own and ask other scripters to follow your sprite sheet format. But now with the generator and built-in SV battles, means we now have a standard format that everyone has to follow whether you like it or not. Making a different layout of SV battler is just asking other users to do an extra step, even if it means "use this plugin so you could use my sheet".
Exactly why it's been troubling me, I don't want to have to do this but there's 4 default poses that I'd not need/want/use and 2 that are missing that I use/need/want
The four removable ones: Ready/Physical - Swinging - Shooting - Magic Skill (Flexibly on this one)
The two I'd need to include: Advance (moving towards the target) - Enter (Plays that the start of battle and after revived)

The old XP battle system is what I expanded on and was more user friendly when it came to adding rows and assigning what they did. It's not like that now and like you said there's a standard default.

I can try to guess but.
@Holder @richter_h I doubt it will be possible out of the box and will be builded with an fixed ammount I assume.

ALTHOUGH with plugins we will be able to unlock and with the new pluginEditor making custom framerate per sheet / row will not be impossible.

all you have to do is assign an array Struct with the setting in the pluginManager then bind it to a skill or an actor / enemy (which is selectable in the pluginManager pretty easily btw) and setup.
so no need of clunky notetag.

I might try to work something once MZ come out. I already had some idea I can sketch in MV

I.E : actor : [ {actorID : 1, filename : "", frame: 5, speed: 3}]
etc this would be what the pluginManager would be outputing for us plugindev.
Totally agree it can't just happen with the standard engine, I don't know if it's easier to just say put my Advance pose where default Shooting is and it's then a matter of getting a code alteration or new plug in which shows that pose as the character/enemy moves towards the target.

I've got a lot of concepts and things that can be altered/included with SV battles, it's like all I do these days XD Visual weapon equipment is one I'd love to have available for people, Mag/Pet system that users can attach creatures to their party members for various in battle effects. It's a lot harder but something I'd like to give people the chance to use.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exactly why it's been troubling me, I don't want to have to do this but there's 4 default poses that I'd not need/want/use and 2 that are missing that I use/need/want
The four removable ones: Ready/Physical - Swinging - Shooting - Magic Skill (Flexibly on this one)
The two I'd need to include: Advance (moving towards the target) - Enter (Plays that the start of battle and after revived)

The old XP battle system is what I expanded on and was more user friendly when it came to adding rows and assigning what they did. It's not like that now and like you said there's a standard default.

Totally agree it can't just happen with the standard engine, I don't know if it's easier to just say put my Advance pose where default Shooting is and it's then a matter of getting a code alteration or new plug in which shows that pose as the character/enemy moves towards the target.

I've got a lot of concepts and things that can be altered/included with SV battles, it's like all I do these days XD Visual weapon equipment is one I'd love to have available for people, Mag/Pet system that users can attach creatures to their party members for various in battle effects. It's a lot harder but something I'd like to give people the chance to use.
Ill see what I can do my idea is to just allow people to have support for any kind of framesize and use their sprite.

I also want to make atlast support as well.

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It’s personally a horrible thing to request when you think about it. I understand it’s a case of you have to use this if you want to use my content.

I’ve tried a lot of test battles with all the default poses and just find that missing out the enter pose just looses a character’s personality. Without an advancing towards the target makes the battle feel like a chess board. Two types of attack poses for a purpose built character is just copying and pasting to fill the slot.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, I would love to see Holder battlers for use in MV/MZ format in the future. :)

For me, my favorite sprite-sheet handling so far has been Theo's Sideview Battle system for VXace. I like that there is so much freedom with the sheets and the frames you want to use. It would be awesome to see the same level of freedom with MZ sprite sheets in the future. <3

I just find it hard to work with pixel animations with MV/MZ's 3 frame sheets that goes 1-2-3-2-1. >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Not going to lie... PIXI Particles make fantastic graphics... But predicting the hitbox of something with a "fixed size" but whose graphics can stick out past that, is quite challenging. :kaoswt:
Would you like a glass of spiders?
Besides my Might and Magic inspired project, I have always wanted to make a Fire Emblem-like game. Time is the culprit... Between life, composing music packs, and working on a game can it be done!? The tactical plugins for MV work quite well based on what I have tested.
Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz