(MV/MZ) Help Editing My Blocky Bee into a Sprite

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Resource Type: Character

Maker Format: MV/MZ

I'm looking for some assistance with this bee I have made below, chiefly in the adding of feet, wings, antennae, and turning him on his side for left and right movement.

The general concept is that this bee is going to be able to be stepped on and used as a platform by the player, ilomilo style (see reference image). This will only happen when the bee is static and facing either forwards or backwards (so no concerns about stepping animations and lining up the characters). The priority for the character's event will be set to below the player once he stops moving to allow for this.

The wings would only need to be drawn flat on the bee's back and side (nice and tucked away) as he's not actually going to be using them for flight, so there is no need for them to be out and flapping all over the place. The bee will move by simply walking, which will make fitting him in-between walls a bit nicer, visually. I imagined his walking to just be a sort of lurch, as he is a big fat blocky bee, with his antennae bobbing a little. As of yet, the proportions are identical to that of the walls present in the RTP.

I'm no artist, so would really appreciate some help here if anybody is interested.

Attachments

• 12967_small_434_wide.jpg
    12967_small_434_wide.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 21
  • $Blocky_Bee.png
    $Blocky_Bee.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 19

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I couldn't do much with this size, but I changed the color palette to one that I believe has improved a little.
I also gave a touch of light on the side, still unfinished.

$Blocky_Bee.png

Earlier I made these two models, I used the reference of some game of the same type, but it's a base, I couldn't finish the wings, I would just like you to analyze it and tell me if it's something you need:
Bee-Blocked.png

Blocked_Bee-Part01.png

Attachments

• Bee-Front.gif
    Bee-Front.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The size is a bit of a challenge, I admit. The reason was to make the player be able to walk on the fat bee and for it to look seamless, but then I realised that as long as the bee is big enough to fit the character on, the player can just jump on and off the back of the bee.
That colour palette is much improved, you are right. I must say, the base bee that you created is fantastic: outstrips my base bee in every way shape or form. It's something I can definitely use.

How would you display the bee from the side? It's deciding how to translate the length of the bee from front-view to side-view that confounds me a touch.

But, thank you a lot for your response. It's a beautiful bee.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Considering that the character and each map tile has 48x48 pixels by default, I will redraw it a little bit to fit the wings and feet.

But I will do this by the end of the week, as I am not at home.

There is one more detail, I was inspired by this character in this game (I never played):

So I don't know how much this may involve copyright, I will modify it as much as possible to avoid trouble.

but then I realised that as long as the bee is big enough to fit the character on, the player can just jump on and off the back of the bee.
I didn't understand it well, but if it's the height problem, the right thing is to make 2 graphics, one being just the bee and the other the bee with the character on top.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To be fair, I would argue it has been altered enough already. There is really only so much you can do with the concept of a bee shaped as a cube, but we can make more alterations for sure to be safe.

The height problem isn't really a problem. I was just explaining why my original draft was as large as it was. I had made it the exact same size as a wall tile in MZ so that the bee would fit perfectly between walls and the player could walk over it without it being odd, visually. But, this does not matter for what we are going for now.

I appreciate your help on this.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hi, I thought it was only going to end at the weekend, but today I managed to move forward.
See how it turned out, I didn't have time to study to apply the suggestions I received from other people, I made 3 versions (Attached).

Attachments

• $Blocky-Bee-1.png
    $Blocky-Bee-1.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 6
  • $Blocky-Bee-2-Shadown.png
    $Blocky-Bee-2-Shadown.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 5
  • $Blocky-Bee-3-Shadown.png
    $Blocky-Bee-3-Shadown.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Blimey, those turned out amazing! Really well and truly stunning. Thank you so much!
I especially love what you've done with the eyes.

I'll be releasing a little thread of resources not too far from now that I have commissioned and I think people would love this bee, too. Would you like me to share it on that thread when it is put up with credit or would you like to share this yourself? It really is top work.

I'll definitely be making use of this bee in some fun puzzles. You didn't have to make three versions, but you did, and I am appreciative. How would you like to be credited?

Thank you again.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I didn't even remember to make any terms of use, it's free for commercial or non-commercial use.
It is not necessary, but I would just like you to include my nickname in the in-game credits.

If I had time to study I would make several graphics of this type to create a pack.
I'm glad you liked it, I still wanted to correct some details, but maybe I'll have time next month.

Sorry for my bad English

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...Sir you have successfully made a bee that almost makes me want to change the art i'm working on so i can include it... why is it so cute!? :kaojoy:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I didn't even remember to make any terms of use, it's free for commercial or non-commercial use.
It is not necessary, but I would just like you to include my nickname in the in-game credits.

If I had time to study I would make several graphics of this type to create a pack.
I'm glad you liked it, I still wanted to correct some details, but maybe I'll have time next month.

Sorry for my bad English
Done and done.

I think there would be a lot of potential for such a pack. It really is a great little creature.

Your English has also been perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry at all.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I made something for @LittenDev [as he requested]
It's been a weird while. I've been so torn down that even playing video games has been something I avoided. But I shouldn't forget two things. One, I love RPG Maker for a reason. Two, only way to eat an elephant is a bite at a time.
How do people even enjoy RGB keyboard and mouse lighting? It's distracting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlatlinedRaccoon