RMMV MV Nova Lighting Plugin (For MV and MZ !!!)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Name: MV Nova Lighting Plugin
Collab: Dairnon and the Killer Gin
Version 1.3.0 Link Below
This 1 is for MV and there is a MZ version coming soon!

MV Version tested on 1.6.2
MZ Version tested on Release version.

It'll run primarily on the gpu, minus cpu for minor things like animations.

Supported:
- Multiplied ambient light setting by default (Nova Lighting)
- Designed to share the same params for people currently using Terrax.
- Terrax Legacy Mode included for the Terrax Look (with superior performance)
- Compatible with most Yanfly Plugins especially Event Copier, Event Spawner!
- Light weight, fast, flexible, and beautiful!
- Efficient! Great for low end PCs, also doesn't have lag like others.
- Early tests indicated this is Mobile friendly!
- Additional features, like each event has a reference to its own ID, self IDs to easily control light (essential for Yanfly event spawn and event copy).
- Supports Flashlight offset X and Y, great for horror games with custom graphics!

I know lighting plugins can be very expensive and very often, lead to noticeable slowdown.

This will become the solution to light lag.

This plugin has amazing performance because the lights are coded as objects (unlike Terrax) and utilizes open gl rendering.

VIDEO LINKS!! (More than how to, also provides a solid foundation for game development)

Video 1:

Video 2:

Link to MV Light Plugin:

For now enjoy some early WIPs, plugin already running beautifully in different games.

(All Early WIP shots)

Screenshot_40.png

Screenshot_30.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.21.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.30.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 2.51.47 PM.png
(All Early WIP shots)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

* Requires Pixi 4.7.1, included in download.
* Game Folder -> JS -> Libs -> Replace your Pixie with the 4.7.1 version.
* To activate the script on a map, do the following:
* 1. Put an event onto a map.
* 2. In the 'Note' field (Next to the name) put the following text:
* 'Light 250 #a25600'
* - 250 is the lightradius of the object
* - #a25600 is a nice color for torches (Yellow/Orange in this case)
* - #FFFFFF is pure white light and not recommended for regular light.
* - (PS: #FFFFFF white light works great with the Terrax Legacy option enabled)
* - If You want a white light use a white light with intensity/alpha of 80%
* - So 'Light radius 150 #FFFFFF -1 .8' (No id, intensity 80%, -1 means no ID)
* - Or 'Light radius 150 #FFFFFF 2 .8' (Id 2, intensity 80%)
* 3. You're done, its that simple.
* PS: A nice evil red is '#8F0C00'
* - If you want to "Shut off" your light, simple reduce your radius to 0, example: Fire radius 0 #a25600
* If you want to start with a day time tint, use '0xffffff' in the plugin options.
* If the intensity of the lights are too much, you can make the lights much more basic in the options.
* Simply turn on the "Terrax Legacy" plugin option. Recommend to leave light intensity alone with Terrax.
* This will make the lights look like default Terrax Lights.
* ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
* There are two flavors of lights.
* 1) Lights with no IDs
* 2) Lights with IDs
* 1) Lights with no IDs are by default ON (unless told to be off)
* - Example: 'Light 250 #a25600' (No ID, Default on, intensity 100%)
* - Example: 'Light 250 #a25600 -1 .9' (No ID, Default on, intensity 90%)
* - '-1' stands for no ID so its default on, used if you need a number to adjust intensity
* - Use plugin command 'Light on' or 'Light off' from within event to control light.
* 2) Lights with IDs are by default OFF (unless told to be on)
* - Example: 'Light 250 #8F0C00 2' (ID 2, Default off, intensity 100%)
* - Example: 'Light 250 #8F0C00 5 .8' (ID 5, Default off, intensity 80%)
* - These Lights must be told do be on. Use Plugin command 'Light on ID' like 'Light on 2'
* - Or you can simply use the Plugin Command 'Light on' from within the event, no need for ID (it knows own ID).
* - There is a tricky situation that may arise with these lights. They are always default on or off.
* - In order to control these lights I will show you how you can master these events so that
* - they will always be on or off appropriately.
* - For this to work you need each map to have an autorun, and need the CE on game load script 'Izy_CommonEventOnLoad'.
* - This will be used to call a common event that can tell lights to update itself, details below.
* - This game load script is included in the download, I did not create it, so please read the terms and give credit
* Have your map autorun turn on the events selfswitch D to tell each event to set their lights up properly (Script below).
* Set this page as the last page in the event and set as an autorun that turns off selfswitch D when its done.
* Use selfswitch A to keep track if the Light should be on or off, and selfswitch D to run autorun when on.
* - Based on Selfswitch A, Light on or Light off, Selfswitch D off when the autorun is done
* - (If selfswitch A is on: 'Light on' else 'Light off')
* (Important and powerful script)
* var m = $gameMap.mapId();
* for (var s = 1; s < $dataMap.events.length; s++){
* $gameSelfSwitches.setValue([m, s, 'D'], true);
* }
* (This script snippet, takes all the events in the current map and sets their selfswitch D to true)
* - Make this a Common Event, and have the map autoruns, and the game load script, call this.
* - if this is too complicated, no worries, I will create a youtube video to walk you through this
* - Link:
* Main take away: all of your maps should have an Autorun that fixes lights with a CE (if using advanced light mechanics)
* The game load script will take care of loaded games with the same CE (because autorun would have already run)
* NO PARALLELS! lol
* Autoruns are MUCH better and can get the job done.
* To alter the player radius in game use the following plugin command :
* Light radius 200 #a25600 (to change the radius and the color)
* If you want to change the player radius slowly over time (like a dying torch)
* use the command 'Light radiusgrow 200 #a25600'
* You can also adjust intensity to 80% 'Light radiusgrow 200 #a25600 .8'
* Recap Basics:
* To turn on and off lightsources in the game, do the following:
* Give the lightsource the normal def : Light 250 #a25600 and an extra number
* so it becomes 'Light 250 #a25600 1'
* To turn on this light use plugin command : 'Light on 1'.
* To turn off the light use plugin command : 'Light off 1'.
* Events also a reference to their own light even of its numbered.
* Simply use 'Light on' or 'Light off' to turn on or turn off a light.
* Please Remember IDs are map specific, so you can give the same ID to a different light on a different map.
* I recommend that if you want to control all lights of a certain kind, assign them all the same ID.
* With the default Nova lighting enabled (Terrax version off) you have to be mindful of the tinting and intensity of lights
* They can become too intense if you use colors that are too bright, the solution?
* - Change the intensity of the light
* - Use Darker colors
* 'Light radius 200 #FFFFFF -1 .5' where .5 is the intensity. Light intensity ranges from 0 to 1
* If you do not want to assign the light an ID, give it ID -1 so 'Light radius 150 #a25600 -1 .9'
* so this light with behave as if no ID was given and have an intensity of 90%
* You can alter the size and color of existing Lights! (plugin command)
* light size #color id (ID is optional)
* light 450 #027218 Where Size is now 450 and Color is green
* Replacing the 'Light' with 'Fire' will give the lights a subtle flicker
* The plugin command 'Tint set #333333' will make the room less dark.
* The plugin command 'Tint fade #777777 5' will fade the color from the current color to the new, the last
* The number (5) is the speed of the fade, were 1 is a fast fade and 20 is a very slow one.
* To use a flashlight effect for player use 'Flashlight on 8 12 #FFFFFF' and 'Flashlight on'
* Where 8 = beamlength and 12 = beamwidth
* To use a flashlight effect with ID for event use 'Flashlight on 8 12 #FFFFFF 3' and 'Flashlight off' or 'Flashlight on 8 12 #FFFFFF'
* Light intensity works the same for flashlights 'light radius color id alpha'.
* Again, if the intensity of the lights are too much, you can make the lights much more basic in the options.
* Simply turn on the "Terrax Legacy" plugin option. Leave Light intensity at 100% in this mode
* If you want to lower strain on computer lower the bit map resolution.
* Lights closer together requires more computation.
* This Plugin is compatible with Yanfly Copy Event and Spawn Event.
* It is highly recommended that you use these plugins to maximize your lighting mechanics.
* The Killer Gin will create videos on Youtube to help with the basics
* and also to help illustrate how to maximize the plugins potential.
* Video: *
* Link to Yanfly Copy Event (Highly Recommended!): * Link to Yanfly Spawn Event (Highly Recommended!): *
* /////////////
* Terms of Use:
* /////////////
* 1) This Plugin is a collaboration between the Killer Gin and Dairnon, you must credit us in your game credits page.
* 2) This Plugin is a paid plugin, you must have purchased this plugin on STEAM or Itch.io to use.
* 3) You may edit and patch the code.
* 4) Code may not be redistributed.
* Please report to thekillergin at gmail.com if someone is using this code without permission.
* Special thanks to everyone in the rpgmakerweb community for idea's, support and interest.
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exactly! I'll try not to go blind as well, it's definitely harder sometimes. The 3 eye struggle is real. :LZSwink:

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is very, very bright. o.o
But sounds good. What's the fps when moving around a decently sized map?

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is very, very bright. o.o
But sounds good. What's the fps when moving around a decently sized map?
Well, the 100k lights are just a stress test. More features will be added and more stress testing will follow. So for now, map size is about as much as the engine itself can handle without slowing down.

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this work like @Terrax lighting? Is it better in anyway? If so what're some differences? It looks solid.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Terrax is absolutely amazing and I have used Terrax for about 4 years now (during the entire development of my game).

However, my game uses light as a core mechanic, and I push MV and Terrax to the limit. However I have found that due to the way I use lighting (extensively), I needed a lighter weight plugin to keep my game running smoothly, especially on lower end systems. I encountered a FPS jitter that I could not eliminate... and it was driving me mad.

So therefore, a new lighting solution is needed. So, let's see what the Big Bang Lighting Plugin can... illuminate.

PS: yes, should work just like it..... Designed to replace Terrax and work seamlessly..... minus the interactions with other plugins.

Last edited:

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if it's a coindidence but your stress test looks a bit like the cosmic microwave backround, one of the earliest remnants of the big bang.

Attachments

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't know if it's a coindidence but your stress test looks a bit like the cosmic microwave backround, one of the earliest remnants of the big bang.
LOL I'm a huge science nerd and I did notice. That's why I named it the "Big Bang Lighting" plugin. Thanks for attaching that great pic. It certainly does help.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nice! I'll definitely keep an eye on this. :LZSexcite:
Wow! @ImaginaryVillain your game looks very cool! I can see why you would wanna use a killer Lighting plugin!

I only use about 40 max in my game (on a given map).... I can see you pushing the limits of the plugin with lighting and special effects. Thankfully the Big Bang plugin will be able to push thousands of lights at the same time.

Can't wait till you try to push the plugin to its limits! lol

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! :LZSexcite: Yeah I'm always looking for additional ways to squeeze more out of MV without breaking the resource bank. Though weird as it might sound, there's really only around 60-80 a map. I just make them large so they blend to make other colors, then remove and add new ones a lot with each randomly generated map. Can't have too many because the blacks add definition and mystery.

Though it would be way cooler to be able to make them smaller and just have more. Oh and if you're interested in more about my game I've got a thread https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...mber-tomorrow-surrealistic-action-rpg.120086/ with other areas I've made.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! :LZSexcite: Yeah I'm always looking for additional ways to squeeze more out of MV without breaking the resource bank. Though weird as it might sound, there's really only around 60-80 a map. I just make them large so they blend to make other colors, then remove and add new ones a lot with each randomly generated map. Can't have too many because the blacks add definition and mystery.

Though it would be way cooler to be able to make them smaller and just have more. Oh and if you're interested in more about my game I've got a thread https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...mber-tomorrow-surrealistic-action-rpg.120086/ with other areas I've made.
yeah, the video looked great and I was like..... Imagine if skill lighting effects were enabled, that flashed on screen etc.

There is only 60 to 80 lights per map? Which lighting plugin are you using?

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using Terrax Lightning. The rest of it's just my randomizer doing it's thing. But the lighting really helps make it all pop, so it's pretty important.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm using Terrax Lightning. The rest of it's just my randomizer doing it's thing. But the lighting really helps make it all pop, so it's pretty important.
Ah I see. 60 - 80 is a lot! Definitely more than I use. I was experiencing FPS jitters when having the plugin active even when not utilizing lights.I have a day night cycle so I just turned off the plugin during the day and it runs beautifully. I turn it back on when I need to at night or in dark places.

Anyways, the jitters and the overhead needed because/for the plugin prompted the creation of the Big Bang...... I wonder if that was the reason why aliens started the Big Bang in the Matrix.... we need better lighting plugins! AHHH!!! lol

ImaginaryVillain

One With The Particle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean starting the universe for a better lighting plugin seems a small price to pay. Especially if you've ever looked at the code for Terrax Lighting. The guy hates object oriented programming... So he doesn't use it, at all. :LZSteary:

But yeah, got to be careful with all those lights. For every cool system like that, you need a counter system that manages resources that much better to balance it out. I often despawn or turn off stuff that isn't within a certain range of the player. Typically anything off screen by too many spaces.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dang, hopefully this goes well! That many lights at 120 FPS is very promising. What GPU do you have?

I think it's fair to say that developers should practice caution when putting lights in their game. If you're trying to make it so that your game is more accessible then don't put in as many lights, or even offer an option for lower-end hardware to lower the amount of light sources or even disable lighting effects altogether. It isn't that much of a hassle if you begin with that in mind.

Do you have a release date/schedule planned at all? I'm doing lighting for my game soon-ish so I'm just curious :)

When are we going to get raytracing in MV?

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The computer running the lights is definitely very good.

Thanks. The trick is working in all of the special effects and still having the plugin work well on low end computers.

The next update will be a pretty comprehensive demonstration. We want to wait until we have something very nice to show everyone.

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Terrax is absolutely amazing and I have used Terrax for about 4 years now (during the entire development of my game).

However, my game uses light as a core mechanic, and I push MV and Terrax to the limit. However I have found that due to the way I use lighting (extensively), I needed a lighter weight plugin to keep my game running smoothly, especially on lower end systems. I encountered a FPS jitter that I could not eliminate... and it was driving me mad.

So therefore, a new lighting solution is needed. So, let's see what the Big Bang Lighting Plugin can... illuminate.

PS: yes, should work just like it..... Designed to replace Terrax and work seamlessly..... minus the interactions with other plugins.

Sounds promising :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confessors