RMMV MV Nova Lighting Plugin (For MV and MZ !!!)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Compatible with "Ultra Mode 7"? I believe it is, however, Im not sure if the performance is 100% as good when ultra mode 7 is activated.

Ah nice. The MZ version of this plugin is going to remove the Terrax API for a completely original API that is much more powerful, flexible and versatile. It should be ready shortly. (Just a few more features to implement and of course the big reveal).

KaYsEr

Koruldia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Compatible with "Ultra Mode 7"? I believe it is
Yes most of the time it works (no crash at start), the problem we often have with lighting plugins and Mode7 is more like an "offset glitch", the lights get misaligned the further away you move from them, there are workarounds if you know what you're doing from a design pov though.

Good luck with KillerGin (impressive depth btw) and other plugins! :)

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to see the documentation & what kind of commands & functionality the plugin has?

I'd be interested in knowing whether you can make map & object based lighting, whether you can use a darkness layer to create night effects, whether light effects are static or can be dynamic/animated, and how easily they can be integrated into the workflow.

Planned features would also be interesting, such as tile lighting & similar effects.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there a way to see the documentation & what kind of commands & functionality the plugin has?

I'd be interested in knowing whether you can make map & object based lighting, whether you can use a darkness layer to create night effects, whether light effects are static or can be dynamic/animated, and how easily they can be integrated into the workflow.

Planned features would also be interesting, such as tile lighting & similar effects.
The plugin certainly has documentation, so you mean the documentation listed in the Forum itself?

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugin certainly has documentation, so you mean the documentation listed in the Forum itself?
Or on a website or so.

Something that allows people to see what can be done & how it can be done in your plugin, before you buy it.

I've been using the Khas Lightning plugin for MV for some advanced stuff, such as variable lighting scenes in quests to make lighting part of puzzle mechanics & to simulate a real daylight system, using the plugin to create the night effect. (I dislike screentone changes, because they just muddy colors up and change & desaturate lighting effects).

I've also used object-based lighting (which you seem to indicate you have, since it works with yanfly's event copier) as well as map lighting and would like to be able to use both.

But just from screenshots, I can't tell whether your plugin fits my needs, and whether the implementation of the plugin is easy enough that I don't have to jump through dozens of hoops to create an effect.

I think others might be in the same spot.

If you make a brief demo video on youtube showing the effects ingame & then how you implement them, as well as making the documentation publicly accessible, people will have a much better idea of whether to buy your plugin.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Or on a website or so.

Something that allows people to see what can be done & how it can be done in your plugin, before you buy it.

I've been using the Khas Lightning plugin for MV for some advanced stuff, such as variable lighting scenes in quests to make lighting part of puzzle mechanics & to simulate a real daylight system, using the plugin to create the night effect. (I dislike screentone changes, because they just muddy colors up and change & desaturate lighting effects).

I've also used object-based lighting (which you seem to indicate you have, since it works with yanfly's event copier) as well as map lighting and would like to be able to use both.

But just from screenshots, I can't tell whether your plugin fits my needs, and whether the implementation of the plugin is easy enough that I don't have to jump through dozens of hoops to create an effect.

I think others might be in the same spot.

If you make a brief demo video on youtube showing the effects ingame & then how you implement them, as well as making the documentation publicly accessible, people will have a much better idea of whether to buy your plugin.
Ah ok, sounds good!

I plan to make a couple videos showing what you can do with the lighting plugin. I just wanted to a massive update to my game first.... hopefully I can get the videos out by this weekend, but I can certainly update the forum with the help me section of the plugin no problem!

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah ok, sounds good!

I plan to make a couple videos showing what you can do with the lighting plugin. I just wanted to a massive update to my game first.... hopefully I can get the videos out by this weekend, but I can certainly update the forum with the help me section of the plugin no problem!
That's going to be really helpful.

From what I read, light is just drawn & based on radius & color?
There's no way to use lightmaps or lightobjects (individual lightmaps only tied to an object) like this?
m_window_castle_b_light.png
(lightobject for a FSM castle window)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's going to be really helpful.

From what I read, light is just drawn & based on radius & color?
There's no way to use lightmaps or lightobjects (individual lightmaps only tied to an object) like this?
View attachment 159107
(lightobject for a FSM castle window)
Radius, color and we have spotlights and flashlights.... and most importantly, compatibility with Yanfly copy and spawn event.

No, that is not in the MV version BUT it is in the MZ version! (The API is different, page and event triggers, etc. and much more features.)

If people really want this in the MV version we could look into it.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello Everyone!,

The MZ Nova lighting plugin was tested on two games before it was posted here, on Killer Gin and Star Shift respectively.

I just released an update for Killer Gin that thrusted the MV Nova Lighting plugin into the spotlight. If you are interested in the uses of this plugin and the many ways it can be applied to your game, look no further than Killer Gin.

I'm also excited to see how others have implemented the Nova Lighting Plugin into their game!

But for now, the very first instance of the MV Nova Light plugin here.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Killer Gin UPDATED! (MASSIVE!)
STEAM V28 (ALMOST DONE!!!)

- New Game is required.
- Brand New Lighting Engine!
- Welcome the Star Shift Cross Over!
- Better game performance! (via lighting system)
- Brand new lighting mechanics!
- New characters and classes!
- Updated battlers!
- More Voice acted scenes!
- And Much more!

Killer Gin should be finished by the end of the month!
Thank you for being so patient!
~ Freddie

I have more surprises for you!

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 8.51.45 PM.png

Zinnherz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, thank you for your work! I had some trouble with light related lag, so I was excited for this and just got it yesterday.
I have been using Terrax Lighting and simply replaced it. However, I noticed there was one major difference and that was the color white. When using #ffffff with Terrax Lighting System, it makes the area look like there is no light effect at all. When using your plugin, it makes an actual white area, which can be very useful, but not what I was used to. I attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. I assume it has something to do with blending modes or whatever, but I was just wondering if it was possible to make the lights look softer, or more subtle to give them a similar look to what Terrax Lighting did? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey, thank you for your work! I had some trouble with light related lag, so I was excited for this and just got it yesterday.
I have been using Terrax Lighting and simply replaced it. However, I noticed there was one major difference and that was the color white. When using #ffffff with Terrax Lighting System, it makes the area look like there is no light effect at all. When using your plugin, it makes an actual white area, which can be very useful, but not what I was used to. I attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. I assume it has something to do with blending modes or whatever, but I was just wondering if it was possible to make the lights look softer, or more subtle to give them a similar look to what Terrax Lighting did? Thanks in advance!
Yes, softening the lights and enabling some advanced calls to the Light Objects will be available in the next update.

Besides the lights colors, how is the lag working out for ya? This should be MUCH more efficient.

Perhaps The plugin will be able to toggled between softer light and the current light colors.

Last edited:

Zinnherz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is great news, I'm looking forward to the next update then!
I have been using Terrax Lighting a lot to just give a subtle darkness to indoor maps and then used "white" lighting at windows to brighten the rooms at that spot. Would be amazing to achieve this "white equals transparent" with Nova Lighting as well! I'll just wait for now and stick to Terrax a little longer.

As for the framerates; it did up the frame rate noticeably, which is pretty amazing! (From ~40 to a pretty stable 55 on a 155*120 map with a decent amount of lights.)

Underserial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Is there a time you could tell what we could expect the release of the MZ Plugin?
Thanks in advance.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The MZ release of the plugin is coming very soon. The biggest obstacle is creating a cool video release for it. We also wanted to add some advanced features as well (ability to use variables to control light). Perhaps by the end of the week or next and it should be all set.

The MV version has also only seen a soft release, we are working on a big release as well. (a cool video, and I want to fix the light intensity a bit before the big reveal)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All set!

The Plugin has been updated!

Now there is an plugin option to switch back to Terrax style of lighting (taking away bloom, etc)

BUT I also included the ability to fix the issues you are experiencing above.

"With the default Nova lighting enabled (Terrax version off) you have to be mindful of the tinting and intensity of lights
They can become too intense if you use colors that are too bright, the solution?
- Change the intensity of the light
- Use Darker colors
'Light radius 200 #FFFFFF 0.5' where 0.5 is the intensity. Light intensity ranges from 0 to 1"

Zinnherz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, thank you so much, this is fantastic! I really didn't expect the update to come so soon. I just played around with it a little and from what I can tell it works exactly like Terrax Lighting System now, but with more fps.
I will definitely keep using this and can't recommend it enough.
Thanks again!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow, thank you so much, this is fantastic! I really didn't expect the update to come so soon. I just played around with it a little and from what I can tell it works exactly like Terrax Lighting System now, but with more fps.
I will definitely keep using this and can't recommend it enough.
Thanks again!
Thanks! I'm very glad that I was able to get the plugin updated right away for you.

Remember, even the Default Nova lighting can be used to display the lights, you just have to be more careful with how light/dark a color is and the intensity. I love the nova look, I just have to play around with the lights properties to get the look just right.

If you just want to drag and drop, then of course, the look of Terrax has now been replicated (plugin options).

Go ahead, and tell you friends, I appreciate it!

Happy RPGing!

Hètral

Teamplayer
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Really looking forward to the MZ version of it <3 <3 <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Getting work done in the hospital is a little tough :kaosigh:
Yet another custom skill animation, sometimes i waste too much time on details people will barely notice :kaocry:
Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o
Realizing that 2020 is the only year since 2015 that I haven't made a RM game. Maybe I should do a tiny one to keep the streak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xperiad