RMMV MV Nova Lighting Plugin (For MV and MZ !!!)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yup, its coming! The MZ one is definitely more robust, and the implementation of the API is different. Its pretty awesome! You can even use your own lightmaps and change their shapes, etc. Fun stuff.

The MV one was designed to replace Terrax due to its implementation in my 4 year old game that is nearly complete.

But yes, the MZ one should be ready very soon.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello Everyone!

So I created two tutorials on Youtube for people interesting in lighting mechanics and visible enemies in their games. I took it a step further and also showed how to create a solid foundation for setting up these types of events in your games using the lighting system and a few Yanfly Plugins.

I added it to the main page but also, here they are! Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Video 1:

Video 2:

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Should be done soon, just adding the ability to tween transition the lights and control the properties by variables.

Ludi_Tarantula

"Norm is adaptation, originality is the exception"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhm, I have a problem with this plugin.
It just... Doesn't work when I deactivate Terrax.
Like, no light at all :((
I saw in the videos that it worked even without Terrax, so... This seemed weird to me.
Also, even when I use it with Terrax, I don't see any differences in the lights that I put :/
EDIT: Yes, I put it on the bottom in my plugin list.
-Ele

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Uhm, I have a problem with this plugin.
It just... Doesn't work when I deactivate Terrax.
Like, no light at all :((
I saw in the videos that it worked even without Terrax, so... This seemed weird to me.
Also, even when I use it with Terrax, I don't see any differences in the lights that I put :/
EDIT: Yes, I put it on the bottom in my plugin list.
-Ele
Ah. Did you update your version of Pixi?

Bubbafett5611

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm extremely excited about the release of the MZ plugin! Event based lighting is going to take my project WAY further than I had originally planned!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm extremely excited about the release of the MZ plugin! Event based lighting is going to take my project WAY further than I had originally planned!
We are working on the last feature.... its very powerful and lets you do lots of cool things in MZ.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
MV Nova Lighting Plugin Updated!

- Plugin refactored to correct name
- Fixed Morph Dependency
- Fixed Event Light Intensity not working for fire
- Added Light Intensity to radiusgrow

Extremely Light weight and flexible!

Events have reference to own IDs and works with Yanfly copy and spawn event plugins!

#killergin #Indiegame #rpg #voiceacting #steam

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Small Update

- Allows for the intensity to be adjusted for lights with IDs.
(Use -1 for the ID)

jcruise

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. I recently purchased and began using your plug-in. Amazing work! I am happy to see that you are still updating and supporting it regularly. Thank you very much for that. It works wonderfully so far. No lag whatsoever, even on my giant maps with often approach 200x200 tiles.

I have a question that I hope isn't stupid. Is it possible to forego using the "Tint set" command and instead use RPG Maker MV's built in "screen tint" function, while still having lightsources show up?

I use "screen tint" heavily in my game, and I was hoping that I could use this plug-in's lightsource feature with the screen tints that are already in place. In the attached screenshot, you can see an example of a screentint I already had in place before I installed the plug-in. It would be great if I can simply throw the lightsources on top of it without using the "Tint set" command. If that's not possible, I understand. I can rework my game so that I replace all of my default "Tint Screen" event commands with the "Tint set" plug-in command instead, but it would save me a bit of work if there's a way I can get around doing that.

Using "Tint set #ffffff" with TerraX-style lighting enabled makes my original screen-tints show up even with the plug-in enabled, but that stops the lights on the map from showing up.

Attachments

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello. I recently purchased and began using your plug-in. Amazing work! I am happy to see that you are still updating and supporting it regularly. Thank you very much for that. It works wonderfully so far. No lag whatsoever, even on my giant maps with often approach 200x200 tiles.

I have a question that I hope isn't stupid. Is it possible to forego using the "Tint set" command and instead use RPG Maker MV's built in "screen tint" function, while still having lightsources show up?

I use "screen tint" heavily in my game, and I was hoping that I could use this plug-in's lightsource feature with the screen tints that are already in place. In the attached screenshot, you can see an example of a screentint I already had in place before I installed the plug-in. It would be great if I can simply throw the lightsources on top of it without using the "Tint set" command. If that's not possible, I understand. I can rework my game so that I replace all of my default "Tint Screen" event commands with the "Tint set" plug-in command instead, but it would save me a bit of work if there's a way I can get around doing that.

Using "Tint set #ffffff" with TerraX-style lighting enabled makes my original screen-tints show up even with the plug-in enabled, but that stops the lights on the map from showing up.
I am so glad to hear that the plugin is working so great for you! One of the most important aspects of this plugin was to make sure it was super light weight.

So when you use the use game tint the lights stop working? Hmmmm I did a quick test on this.... and the lights still work for me. Actually I do use a combination of Game Tint and Lighting script tint in my game. (I ran a few more tests and it works).

Can you double check this? Test it out yourself on a fresh project......one of your other scripts may be causing an issue. Let me know and Ill do my best to help ya.

Oh, do you mind if I use your quote to do a little marketing for this plugin?

"Amazing work! I am happy to see that you are still updating and supporting it regularly. Thank you very much for that. It works wonderfully so far. No lag whatsoever, even on my giant maps with often approach 200x200 tiles."

Oh and even if you had a ton of events and lights, it should still hold up extremely well.

jcruise

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am so glad to hear that the plugin is working so great for you! One of the most important aspects of this plugin was to make sure it was super light weight.

So when you use the use game tint the lights stop working? Hmmmm I did a quick test on this.... and the lights still work for me. Actually I do use a combination of Game Tint and Lighting script tint in my game. (I ran a few more tests and it works).

Can you double check this? Test it out yourself on a fresh project......one of your other scripts may be causing an issue. Let me know and Ill do my best to help ya.

Oh, do you mind if I use your quote to do a little marketing for this plugin?

"Amazing work! I am happy to see that you are still updating and supporting it regularly. Thank you very much for that. It works wonderfully so far. No lag whatsoever, even on my giant maps with often approach 200x200 tiles."

Oh and even if you had a ton of events and lights, it should still hold up extremely well.
The lights do work with game tint enabled, it's just that your tint set by the plugin is always on top of it, which ends up making my tints darker than intended.

For example, this is how the screen tint for this scene is intended to look (the Nova Lighting plugin is disabled here):

1601575006262.png

The closest I can get to getting the scene to look like this without removing the game tint and having the plug-in enabled is by using "Tint set #999999", but this still makes it a tad bit darker than intended:

1601575179540.png

It's not really a big deal if I need to use "Tint set #999999", because I can live with my screen tints being slightly too dark. I can just adjust the tints I set using the Screen Tint event command to be slightly brighter. However, if there's a way I can simply disable the "Tint set" layer altogether but still use the lightsources, that would be cool.

As another reference: here's how this scene looks with lighting enabled, and without a "Tint set" command in place (so that it's using the default ambient light setting set in the plugin's parameters):

1601575928505.png

So, as you can see, the plugin's tint is appearing on top of the screen tint that is already set in game.

Apologies if I explained myself badly here. Again, this isn't a huge deal, especially because using "tint set #999999" is mostly a solution. :)

You can absolutely use my quote for marketing! Feel free to fix my typo in that last sentence!

By the way, if you ever consider doing a future update, I do have a small suggestion. It would be cool if there were a way to have a light turned off by default. Maybe having using a notetag like "Light 250 #a25600 1 OFF" could do the trick. This way, we can have torches that are turned off when you first enter the room, but can be turned on. In my game, I have a "torch" item that can be used to light unlit torches, and I also plan to incorporate puzzles that involve using switches to light torches. I do have a way around this (I just turn the lights off when the player first enters the room via an autorun event), but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :)

One last thing: is there a way to change the color of a lightsource that is already defined? I tried using the plugin command "Light color 1 #2200b8" (which would work in the TerraX plug-in) but that doesn't seem to work here. This would be another cool feature to implement, especially if it could be used without specifying an ID like the "light on" command can. Okay, I'm done being annoying for now!

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here is a little taste of the "Killer Gin X Star Shift" cross over in Killer Gin.
From beginning to end it is FULLY voice acted (hundreds if lines) down to the small talk when you are exploring the ship and looking through the rooms, etc.

Star Shift is a sci fi RPG on STEAM
Killer Gin is a fantasy RPG on STEAM

#killergin #Indiegame #rpg #voiceacting #steam

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The lights do work with game tint enabled, it's just that your tint set by the plugin is always on top of it, which ends up making my tints darker than intended.

For example, this is how the screen tint for this scene is intended to look (the Nova Lighting plugin is disabled here):

View attachment 162522

The closest I can get to getting the scene to look like this without removing the game tint and having the plug-in enabled is by using "Tint set #999999", but this still makes it a tad bit darker than intended:

View attachment 162523

It's not really a big deal if I need to use "Tint set #999999", because I can live with my screen tints being slightly too dark. I can just adjust the tints I set using the Screen Tint event command to be slightly brighter. However, if there's a way I can simply disable the "Tint set" layer altogether but still use the lightsources, that would be cool.

As another reference: here's how this scene looks with lighting enabled, and without a "Tint set" command in place (so that it's using the default ambient light setting set in the plugin's parameters):

View attachment 162524

So, as you can see, the plugin's tint is appearing on top of the screen tint that is already set in game.

Apologies if I explained myself badly here. Again, this isn't a huge deal, especially because using "tint set #999999" is mostly a solution. :)

You can absolutely use my quote for marketing! Feel free to fix my typo in that last sentence!

By the way, if you ever consider doing a future update, I do have a small suggestion. It would be cool if there were a way to have a light turned off by default. Maybe having using a notetag like "Light 250 #a25600 1 OFF" could do the trick. This way, we can have torches that are turned off when you first enter the room, but can be turned on. In my game, I have a "torch" item that can be used to light unlit torches, and I also plan to incorporate puzzles that involve using switches to light torches. I do have a way around this (I just turn the lights off when the player first enters the room via an autorun event), but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :)

One last thing: is there a way to change the color of a lightsource that is already defined? I tried using the plugin command "Light color 1 #2200b8" (which would work in the TerraX plug-in) but that doesn't seem to work here. This would be another cool feature to implement, especially if it could be used without specifying an ID like the "light on" command can. Okay, I'm done being annoying for now!
Hey hey!

Hmmmmm.... would specifying the Tint as #ffffff be better? Wouldnt it basically make the Nova Tint look like day time?

Ah, well, lights with IDs are off by default unless they are told to be on. The only tricky part is how do we update them to remain on when you leave and come back?! Well I have the answer below (in the write up).

Hmmmm, terrax let you change the color of a light once its defined? I have never actually seen or tried this. Are you sure? If it does I can add it (easy since this is object based lighting) (this is entirely possible and much easier in the Nova MZ lighting version coming soon hehe)

Actually I was working on redoing the first two videos I made.

1) The write up could be better
2) The video could be better (I miss the basics!)

SOOOO I am redoing both! I should have the write up done shorty, I will post a new video explaining all the basics by sunday.

In the write up I will do a much better job explaining how the lights work and give ya the tools to create them! You will see, the write up will explain.

jcruise

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey hey!

Hmmmmm.... would specifying the Tint as #ffffff be better? Wouldnt it basically make the Nova Tint look like day time?

Ah, well, lights with IDs are off by default unless they are told to be on. The only tricky part is how do we update them to remain on when you leave and come back?! Well I have the answer below (in the write up).

Hmmmm, terrax let you change the color of a light once its defined? I have never actually seen or tried this. Are you sure? If it does I can add it (easy since this is object based lighting) (this is entirely possible and much easier in the Nova MZ lighting version coming soon hehe)

Actually I was working on redoing the first two videos I made.

1) The write up could be better
2) The video could be better (I miss the basics!)

SOOOO I am redoing both! I should have the write up done shorty, I will post a new video explaining all the basics by sunday.

In the write up I will do a much better job explaining how the lights work and give ya the tools to create them! You will see, the write up will explain.
Hey! Using #ffffff does work, but it makes it so that you can't see any of the lighting effects. However, this is not really a big deal since, realistically, you wouldn't really see the light from torches and stuff when the sun is out anyway. This is what I will be doing for my outdoor daytime areas.

"Ah, well, lights with IDs are off by default unless they are told to be on" - I didn't know this! Thank you.

"Hmmmm, terrax let you change the color of a light once its defined? I have never actually seen or tried this. Are you sure? " - It does! The exact plugin-command it uses is "Light color [id] #[hex code]". This would be a really great feature to implement if you could. :)

Again, thank you for your hard work, and I look forward to the new write-up and video! Also, I just thought I'd mention that your plugin work beautifully with Yanfly's Event Spawner. In my game, you can plant bombs like in Zelda that explode after a short time. I use Event Spawner to accomplish this, and using your plugin I gave a slight glow to the bombs. Even when 30 bombs are spawned on screen at once, all with their own lighting effects, there is no lag whatsoever!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey! Using #ffffff does work, but it makes it so that you can't see any of the lighting effects. However, this is not really a big deal since, realistically, you wouldn't really see the light from torches and stuff when the sun is out anyway. This is what I will be doing for my outdoor daytime areas.

"Ah, well, lights with IDs are off by default unless they are told to be on" - I didn't know this! Thank you.

"Hmmmm, terrax let you change the color of a light once its defined? I have never actually seen or tried this. Are you sure? " - It does! The exact plugin-command it uses is "Light color [id] #[hex code]". This would be a really great feature to implement if you could. :)

Again, thank you for your hard work, and I look forward to the new write-up and video! Also, I just thought I'd mention that your plugin work beautifully with Yanfly's Event Spawner. In my game, you can plant bombs like in Zelda that explode after a short time. I use Event Spawner to accomplish this, and using your plugin I gave a slight glow to the bombs. Even when 30 bombs are spawned on screen at once, all with their own lighting effects, there is no lag whatsoever!
Wow, awesome to hear, I will look into implementing the updated light colors soon.

I will also be making anew video covering how the Nova Lighting plugin works tomorrow!

Absolutely!Event copier and event spawner are amazing plugins and I had to make sure that this plugin worked with them. Wow, your bombs must be super cool to see in action!

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, great plugin from what I've seen so far (haven't tested it yet, will do very soon)

Is it possible to create a light beam with it ? like going from a source to a device with an angle and a range.
If not, are you planning to implement it ?

Other question, is it possible to change the width of the cone ?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy