MV Parallax Mapping for Beginners (3 Part Video Series)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by fallenlorelei, Nov 3, 2015.

1. InBlast

InBlast The Mad Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    French
    That was that. Background was visible ^^

Thanks a lot !

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Hi, I enjoyed your tutorials! Feedback: Your delivery is pretty much perfect, very pleasant to listen to. I'd like to suggest an alternative method for getting the edges of the animated water to work without the need to cut out the whole border and put it into the overlay (which could cause problems). A simple tileset edit is all you need. Open Outside_A1 and delete all of the green grass around the water tiles. This will allow you to place the water right on top of your parallax bottom layer without messing up the borders. (If you're going to start your maps in the editor, though, you'll need to keep the original grassy water tile handy for your starter maps.) You still need to put the other stuff (the underwater wall sections, plants, etc.) in the overlay (or a below_characters underlay if the player or events can swim...) but this will let you bypass any tedious border trimming and the potential consequences of that.

3. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's a good idea! I was also thinking of adding the water's border to a separate layer and set it to "below characters" so it isn't actually an overlay. We'd have under tilemap, below characters, and then above characters. This way the character can still walk across the water if they need to (like if there's a bridge) which hadn't really occurred to me when writing the tutorial. So many new things with MV! But your idea of simply talking the grass off the water tiles much more simple. That would make it re-usable too =D Thanks!

chalkdust likes this.
  4. Fynox

Fynox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi!  Great tutorials!   I have never used any iteration of the RPG Maker series or any photo editing software.  I was still able to complete a map by following your instructions and watching your videos (with several moments to pause and re-watch steps).  My small test map came out great!  I can't wait for more tutorials from you since these ones really inspired me and motivated me to learn more.  I do have a question though which probably stems from my lack of experience with the software.  I used the quick event creation to make a door for the small house on my map.  I created a small 5 x 5 map with a door inside it just to test the process of transferring from one map to another.  The problem is that that the background image of my map (the one created following your tutorial) shows partially behind the 5 x 5 room. Is this an issue due to the plugin settings?  I know I have to have made a mistake somehow because I am unable to create more maps in my test game without the background image of the test map appearing.  Anyway, GREAT videos!  I'm going to watch them again and write down the steps of layering items correctly so I can use it for future maps.  Thanks!

5. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad you were successful! =D Yay!!

As for your image issue, I believe it's due to the fact that the plugin requires us to "Show Picture" which doesn't disappear on its own when you leave the map (unless there's something covering it up in the new map). So, add "Erase Picture" whenever you leave the map. I believe that's the solution. I noticed that on one of my personal maps recently.

There are other plugins you can dabble with that probably won't require you to Erase Picture =] BindPicture was just the one that was most readily available at the time I made the tutorial (pretty early after MV was released)

6. ♥ azura ♥

♥ azura ♥ Solitary Songstress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I just wanted to comment and say that this tutorial has really been helpful for me! I was excited but very scared of parallax mapping, but I understand the process a lot better now~ ♪

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  7. Wijen

Wijen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    want to ask

i've successful on making parallax map like on your tutorial

but when I change game resolution with yanfly's core my map got a little broken

Capture.JPG

if i make the parallax background in map edit into none

it fix the distorted map, but then it got ugly when i make sunbeam 

is when you change map resolution the photoshop map's width&height*48 also different ?

sorry bad english  ;_;

1447326407355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  8. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wijen

It's probably because your resolution (screen size) is bigger than your map (which is a parallax image). It wraps around to fill the emptiness. You need to match the sizes. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  9. Wijen

Wijen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
  10. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wijen

Ok, I might not understand what you are asking but I'm going to try my best to explain anyway.

If you change the screen resolution, the minimum size of your maps going to be that of your new screen resolution (but you can leave parts of it black if you don't want to use it all. Bigger maps should not be a problem.

When calculating what your minimum map size would be for 1280x720 resolution (in the editor!) you just divide said numbers with the size of the tileset you are using. I am going to assume that you are using MV's standard 48x48 graphics in which case the math would be 1280 / 48 ≈ 27 and 720 / 48 = 15. So when creating a new map in the editor you need it to be at least 27x15.
    If you start your parallax maps in GIMP or photoshop you can just set the canvas to 1280x720 but remember to make the actual map size fit that of your image in the level editor later!

Because of this, if you have a bigger resolution you are forced to use bigger maps (even when you might not want to) which could have a slight (or big) impact on the file size of your final project but I wouldn't worry about it much. I hope I didn't confuse you (or myself :distrust: ) too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
    bmwd Gaming and Giullio like this.
  11. Wijen

Wijen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    @Parallax Panda

thank you for your helpful response  :)

and yeah after I try a bit I found out 27 15 is the least map size so that it doesnt have black tile 

guess I must remake my map again then..noob me for not knowing and making it first.

thank you again panda ! :D

Parallax Panda likes this.
  12. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wijen

No problem! Sharing our wisdom and helping people is what we pandas do. Glad it worked out for you!  ;)  

13. James Westbrook

James Westbrook JamesWestbrook Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i don't know if you noticed(it now says this in the first post) that there is a plugin that captures a screenshot of the map. IT'S AMAZING ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO USE IT. 

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49711-orange-mapshot/?p=492655

14. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So... Gimp seems boss for layouts! Im not kidding. Even though the gui has... Issues (ISSUES!.. but it is free). The paint with an image natural feature makes it superior to photoshop for pixel art mapping by 100000. Like seriously when I discovered its super easy custom brush feature a little tear welled up in the corner of my eye. Then I searched for a few hours to figure out how to make photoshop do that... Nil. You simply can't (without being a coder/hacker). Try it. Get gimp. Start a new file. Load a tileset into. Select an image. Copy the image. Deselect. Then grab your brush tool. If you selected a tree, you will very soon be amazed. I mean it. You will need to click a small box by the brush "size" slider, which will make the image the exact same size as when you copied it. I have been practicing. My advice as someone trained in photoshop: make your basic layout in gimp (and deal with its quirks and issues and random crashes and current huion graphics pad issues) its worth it. Maps are SO much easier to build there. Save each major layer as a png, then open in photoshop for you effects (lighting/shading) as photoshop does better in this area. Only get Gimp from the official gimp.org site or you will get a virus that could crash your machine (experience). There is a thing called "gimp shop" but I would stay away from it for now and stick with gimp proper, as gimp shop's file host seems to be dirt filled with malware. Gimp has moved its official release to its own servers and is currently squeaky clean. Hope you guys try it and see what I mean. Use the best of both worlds :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
    Parallax Panda likes this.
  15. James Westbrook

First Language:
    English
    So for some reason my maps never sync up properly with the maps i make. I know its the right size because 1) i checked myself and 2) i am using the orange map snapshot for my maps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj4jl5jyey7e2rc/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.07.49.png?dl=0 this is my rpg mv editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hryr5c9ci2wt2f8/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.08.05.png?dl=0 this is me editing the tiles by removing edges on bottom corners to give it a more floaty feel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc0r316y8u0nds6/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.08.52.png?dl=0 this is what happens in game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1liyb18a10xovg/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.09.24.png?dl=0  this is the event i used to make it happen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46x2lnppaqyp55g/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.09.47.png?dl=0 this is proof i have the plugins installed.

what am i doing wrong? i feel really stupid lmao. it may also help to say that paralaxes dont work either, and they  loop when i put ! in the front, instead of being stuck in place.

(it may help to say i am using a bigger resolution 1280 x 720, but i turned that plugin off and even with the regular resolution it still didnt sync up properly.

(i am putting links here instead of pictures because it wouldnt let me insert pictures, saying my images werent allowed.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  16. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    The first thing I see is you need an "Erase Event" after your BindPictureToMap plugin command.

It looks like your first map from the editor is showing up underneath your evented picture - because you can see the corners not having been off. Make a new blank map with the right dimensions, put in the swirly purple parallax through the editor, then add the overlay picture through the event. That might fix that. We'll figure out the looping issue once that's covered! =]

17. James Westbrook

First Language:
    English
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/otw7am6bz34ymqg/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.33.55.png?dl=0 i copied the map and removed the tiles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sik2jfl252zuzv/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.34.12.png?dl=0 they now say erased

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvphps5n1d5u9o0/Screenshot%202015-11-14%2013.34.54.png?dl=0 and it isnt synced up properly. I already knew that the editor was showing, I did that on purpose to show you that the .png map isnt synced up.

18. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Hmm. I'm trying to come up with possible reasons.

It looks like something is increasing your screen resolution beyond what you set your map to. In your editor, it's one size (912x576), then when you're playtesting, it's another size (I'm seeing 1281x720ish)

There's also something off with the dimensions of the picture. I copied what you gave me, put it into a blank canvas and nudged it so it fit perfectly in the corner. My grid is 48x48 - notice how the tiles don't align properly?

GridOff.PNG

I notice that you have "change tile size" as a plugin in your events. It's set to OFF but maybe there's still some interference. We can rule out plugin issues by making an entirely new project just to test this map (you can delete the project afterward). But it seems to me that there's something wrong with the dimensions, and there's also something off with making the original map in the editor versus the actual size of the play screen.

19. James Westbrook

First Language:
    English
    I specifically said that i have a bigger resolution, and that i tested it in a regular resolution. but i suppose ill make another project to test it out

20. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Make the map in your game's resolution.