MV Parallax Mapping for Beginners (3 Part Video Series)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by fallenlorelei, Nov 3, 2015.

1. James Westbrook

James Westbrook JamesWestbrook Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What do you mean? it is in the game's size. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  2. hishandmaiden

hishandmaiden Villager Member

First Language:
    Mandarin
    Thanks for the video.

I really enjoy it.

3. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just to let everyone know, we resolved this over PM. If you come across his same issue (see earlier posts), message him for solution =D he made a video for it.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

4. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great tutorials! For anyone who doesn't know, this was a bug, and it's been fixed--there's a plug-in to fix it. It's linked in my FAQ that's pinned in MV Support (link also in my sig). Now you can use any parallax plug-in and it'll look great.

5. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    I actually tried that plugin when it was first mentioned in that "blurry parallaxes" thread, but it didn't work for me D= unless it's been fixed!! I need to check that out =D

6. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Worked perfectly for me! I know some people had trouble. One guy reinstalled MV and that fixed it; I don't know why.

7. James Westbrook

First Language:
    English

I just found out something.

The method we discussed for fixing it doesn't work if your map is bigger than the default 17 x 13 tiles.

I am sorry but i am not going to experiment in how to fix it with altered resolutions due to several factors in personal life.

In the meantime, i suggest keeping your resolution the default size, until someone knows the solution.

I would look for the solution, I just don't have the energy(and stress combined with laziness lmao)

but if you insist on using the higher resolutions, do NOT alter your map size in the default editor.(link below is what i am talking about. do not change those sizes)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v34sgojipqcstq5/Screenshot%202015-11-23%2018.35.49.png?dl=0

If you change those sizes you are screwed. And if you end up needing to have bigger maps(like me for example.) i suggest going back to default resolution. until more is known about MV and it's less buggy, it's a good idea to not try over-complicating your game by changing the default size.

8. James Westbrook

First Language:
    English
    I have built upon your tutorials my own style of mapping.

May I make a tutorial explaining how to do my style if I link back to this tutorial? It involves using tiling and it also shows how to use the orange snapshot plugin. Do you care if i make this tutorial?(im asking because most of half of what i learned came from you LOL.)

(EDIT: i just realized i no longer use the region plugin, so im just gonna go ahead and do it, and link it back here for those artistic people.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  9. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Haha there are tons of parallax tutorials out there, so go for it! I'm making a new one too, using Kaus Overlay and some other techniques.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  10. Natural

Natural 恭司 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the great tutorial, I wish I would have seen this thread yesterday. So instead of Bind to Map I use the Kaus Overlay? 

11. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome!

You can use whichever plugin you're most comfortable with =D I think for interior maps, BindToMap works wonderfully, but for large forests and more complicated maps, maybe Kaus would be best.

The Stranger likes this.
  12. dhofari9

dhofari9 Villager Member

First Language:
    arabic
    I love it .. i learn more new thing here

thank you for your effort ^_^

13. Venthros

Venthros Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just wanted to tell you that this is a very nice tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

If this is indeed your first tutorial ever, I'd say you nailed it! 

Great job.

bmwd Gaming likes this.
  14. StrangeJake

StrangeJake Dreadwyrm Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just wanted to say thank you for this. I've been lacking motivation to actually make my games - mostly because I felt that while the story and everything was mine, pasting everything in using the editor was too plain. This has given me so much entertainment, and it's pretty much my first time actually attempting to use photoshop.

In the end, I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate what it is that you've done for us to learn! Keep up the good work and I look forward to being enthralled in many more hours of mapping thanks to this method haha.

15. kattywompus

kattywompus trash bunny Member

First Language:
    English
    I watched this on Youtube this morning, and it was so comprehensive and easy to follow! Parallax mapping has long felt too intimidating to even attempt, but your tutorial made it seem a lot less scary. 

16. Sr.Erick

Sr.Erick Villager Member

First Language:
    Português - BR

Code:
    Really thank you!
    I am from Brazil and my English is not the best 
    ( I can only read the basics, will write the translator ) .
    Parallax was looking for the time to MV , but the 
    Brazilian forums has nothing on .
    I'm safe now ! My Maps made in own rpg maker , are crap.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  17. Giullio

Giullio Warper Member

So... my game res is 1280x720 and I made a 1296 x 1920 parallax map. 1,36 mb I'm using !Main Hall. as the name of the file. When I hit play button, the overlay img works but the parallax doesn't the floor becomes all black. Any help?

!Main-Hall.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  18. EonRising

EonRising Probably a Furry Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much for the tutorial! It helped a lot ^^

Unfortunately I'm having issues with my character still refusing to walk, in spite of having the Yanfly plugin active and the "1" region block painted where necessary :/ is there any way you can help with this or should I jump over to the yanfly page? >< sorry for the bother.

19. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have they fixed the screenshot map option since? I just saved an image but I can't tell if it's the same size or not.

Great tut btw! Was exactly what I was looking for. :)

20. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I dont use a plugin. I take two squares from any tileset, delete the contents completely. Put a very low opacity "o" on one and an "x" on the other. In the database, i make the "o" tile passible and the "x" tile not. Then i paint those in where i want them. When im all done i go back to edit the tile sheet and delete the "x" and "o" graphic. May not be all that efficient but it does work. Ive even toyed with the directional passability so you can go all the way to an edge but not past it.