MV Parallax Mapping for Beginners (3 Part Video Series)

bmwd Gaming

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know this post is a little bit dated (but it's a tremendous help/asset!!!), but I figured I'd put my two sense in...
As a resource I've been experimenting with Paint.net. 

While I'm not the most gifted with image 'reconstruction' (recoloring, resizing, etc.)
I've found this program to be a useful (free) Photoshop alternative, much like Gimp.

Now don't get me wrong - Photoshop and Gimp are far greater in a list of numerous reasons,
but for those that don't need all the features, and are looking for something a bit easier to use... /shrug

Also an interesting thing I did learn through research tonight about Photoshop;
Photoshop allows for recoloring images by making those images a layer of their own (like in the tutorial):
* Click the drop down menu "Select" (at the top of the screen)
* Click "Color Range"
       The + or - Eye Dropper will allow you to select more pixels of the image, to recolor all at once
* Then click "Okay"
* Click the drop down menu "Layer" -> "New Adjustment Layer" -> "Hue/Saturation..."
* This will then allow you to change the pre-selected pixels color, light/dark, and color saturation.
* After that, simply merge the image with the Layer you want it to overlap/overcolor

With all of that said; I really do appreciate the above videos.
Back in February when I first got RPG Maker, I was like...
"Huh? What is a parallax map?" I've heard the term, but never knew how or what it was.
Then; after experimenting with the program, it became clear I needed to know this stuff! haha
Your videos have been such amazing help! - Thank you!

Spartan920

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Hey! Upon following your instructions on video 3.5 step by step, I stumbled on an issue where when I changed the tilesets of Outside's A1 Animation, the newly edited tilesets don't come out. Here's a picture of what i meant... Did I do something wrong?  :|

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 4.25.11 PM.png

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey! Upon following your instructions on video 3.5 step by step, I stumbled on an issue where when I changed the tilesets of Outside's A1 Animation, the newly edited tilesets don't come out. Here's a picture of what i meant... Did I do something wrong?  :|
Interesting predicament! I'm not sure what's going on here. If you open Outside_A1-2 in another image program, do the tiles show up?

I dont use a plugin. I take two squares from any tileset, delete the contents completely. Put a very low opacity "o" on one and an "x" on the other. In the database, i make the "o" tile passible and the "x" tile not. Then i paint those in where i want them. When im all done i go back to edit the tile sheet and delete the "x" and "o" graphic. May not be all that efficient but it does work. Ive even toyed with the directional passability so you can go all the way to an edge but not past it. 
I did this method in VX Ace. It's the best way to be more precise with your player's movement :)  but these tutorials are meant to be simple so the extra tileset isn't necessary~

meiows

bunvinni
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wanted to say thanks for these amazing tutorials! You've shown me that RPG Maker is actually really awesome! These were so super helpful. I hope you'll continue to make tutorials! :D

CivilYoshi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The overlay layer follows me when i transfer into a different map. (roof/trees are inside buildings i enter) after i enter the map. Anyway to fix this?

Melimeli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Damn I just spent hours watching your videos. Yes even the speedmapping process.

Looking forward for more! That was great!

amazonwalrus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Where do i put the image after recoloring? Parallax folder? I get the finished image but there are 4 of them side by side

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where do i put the image after recoloring? Parallax folder? I get the finished image but there are 4 of them side by side
Are you using a plugin like Orange Overlay or Bind Picture to Map? You'll also want to make sure the parallax map matches the dimension of the map you've placed it on and your game's resolution.

For example,

My game resolution is 960x540 - so my maps need to be at least 20/12 (otherwise I get multiple pictures etc.)

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey with the latest update Orangemapshot no longer works and while the creator has stated they will be fixing this... I kinda need something to use instead of it, are there any other mapshot plugins out there or do I have to print screen and Frankenstein the images together? Because I'm not gonna lie, I don't have much faith in my ability to line them up properly @_@

Edit: Never mind me! I feel kinda stupid now, I didn't see the annotation in your video about the Mrp Map exporter. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TriceratopsX

Orange Mapshot does work again. Grab the RAW text in his last post on the last page of the thread, and update your project files with the new index.html and js files.

Follow the instructions in this thread:

Afterwards, download the updated Orange Mapshot and put it in your plugins folder. Try it again, and it should work. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TriceratopsX

Orange Mapshot does work again. Grab the RAW text in his last post on the last page of the thread, and update your project files with the new index.html and js files.

Follow the instructions in this thread:

Afterwards, download the updated Orange Mapshot and put it in your plugins folder. Try it again, and it should work. :D
Oh that's great! Thanks for telling me :D

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Very nice tutorials, watched them a while ago, they've been really helpful and through I'm pretty expierenced with PS I could learn something new ;)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make those.

desdisques

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much for these tutorials on parallaxing. Initially I was intimidated by it, but you make it so fun and easy to follow along. You've really inspired me, love your voice too!

Selecous

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi idk how I'm messing up, but something is clearly happening. I'm a total beginner for this. My map is 38x30 in RPG Maker MV.

38 x 48 = 1824

30 x 48 = 1440

I put 1824 x 1440 pixels in Photoshop for the canvas size,  then set the grid lines by 48.

I've used snap, the save image as, and the print screen for all different attempts. But no matter what I use when I paste it in Photoshop, it's way too small in comparison with the canvas size.

If I shrink the canvas size to fit the image. The image comes out too small when I bring it into MV. And if I stretch the image to fit the rest of the canvas in Photoshop, when I bring it into MV its way too big.

Exactly what is going wrong? How can I fix this?

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi idk how I'm messing up, but something is clearly happening. I'm a total beginner for this. My map is 38x30 in RPG Maker MV.

38 x 48 = 1824

30 x 48 = 1440

I put 1824 x 1440 pixels in Photoshop for the canvas size,  then set the grid lines by 48.

I've used snap, the save image as, and the print screen for all different attempts. But no matter what I use when I paste it in Photoshop, it's way too small in comparison with the canvas size.

If I shrink the canvas size to fit the image. The image comes out too small when I bring it into MV. And if I stretch the image to fit the rest of the canvas in Photoshop, when I bring it into MV its way too big.

Exactly what is going wrong? How can I fix this?

Are you using a plugin like OrangeMapshot or I believe HimeWorks has one too? If not are you sure that you are copying or printscreening the map at 1/1 ratio in the editor? I believe the "Save as Image" function in the editor is still broken it saves the map at half size.

Mesajia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey fallenlorelei,

I'm so glade, that you made this tutorial. It helped me to understand everything about parallax mapping and I totally found my favorite mapping style :)  I also like the other videos an your chanel :)

youkochaos

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Guys i need a big help.

Im  trying to make maps as Parallaxes but this has happened when you step from one scenario to another using doors or teleportation.Anyone know why?(Shadow and the overlay of the previous scenario go to the next.)

14349036_1416781655003849_416631327_n.jpg

14329972_1416722695009745_7853446615796269037_n.jpg

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That looks like your Shadow layer is not the right size in comparison to the map layer.

Akemi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very good tutorial, I will be using this. Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Streaming now, maybe it will work this time!
Part of me is really missin' the good 'ol days of RM '95... goodness just seems like such simpler times
Just got two Switch E-Shop 20$ gift cards... Is 3D All-Stars worth it? Or should I get something like Celeste? I'd love to know your opinion!
I’m looking at the MZ full body images and I think Priscilla is taller than Reid...
Ami
--- Music Selection ---

M.Archer: It's Music Station,You can Change the Music as you like.
F.Healer: i want to hear the Romantic Music.
M.Fighter: Then,i want the Hard-Rock one!
(the Troll Song has played)
M.Archer: Hey,i hear this Music.
F.Healer: It's popular from Internet Music,i wonder who change it?
Hero: I change it.
Entire Party: YOU????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yomato