MV Parallax Mapping for Beginners (3 Part Video Series)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by fallenlorelei, Nov 3, 2015.

1. J-Ray

J-Ray Alien from planet Earth Member

First Language:
    Vulcan
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thank you very much for these tutorials!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  2. Avialle

Avialle Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Excellent, clear tutorial.  I wasn't even sure what Parallax mapping was until I watched this, although I had heard the term.

Thanks very much for making these.

3. HasdrubalBarca

HasdrubalBarca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll take a look later, looks promising.

4. Shuchou

Shuchou Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Question, do you have to use the tilesets that are set to be used on that map layout when doing your parallax mapping out of RPG or can you use any tileset on the parallax map as long as what you place on the map with in the RPG is on the linked sets?

5. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @fallenlorelei Great tutorial! Now I want to start parallax mapping :)

@Shuchou You can use any graphics you want for the parallax images when you create them in an external program. It doesn't matter if they are not on any of the tilesets in RPG Maker, since the whole parallax map is saved as a new image anyway and the program uses that image for the map graphic. Hope that answers your question :)

6. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm running into a bit of a problem with parallax mapping. Specifically, despite prefixing my parallax maps with !, they don't center onto the player.As a result, the following glitch occurs:

[​IMG]

The resolution of my game is 640x480 and my zoom to 200%.. The same problem appears to occur at smaller resolutions and without the zoom, though. I'm not entirely sure what other problems there could be.

Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Kingslayer likes this.
  7. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For a 2-tile high item that you can get behind (say a bush or sign,) how would I go about having the bush appear below the character sprite (the ones I use are tall) when the character is in front of said bush or sign yet this same tile would be above if the player is behind it?

8. Final_zero

Final_zero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Are we allowed to make parallax maps by useing the tilesets? I hope to make a game to sell. Would that be ok to do so?

9. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    FIRST! :) yup you can use the graphics any way you want to as long as you use them in an official rpg maker product (so no Gamemaker, Stencyl, or any other engine). You can use vx tiles, and sprites in xp or mv, but you have to have purchased that version of rpg maker. You can parallax the tiles all you want in rpg maker, any iteration you've purchased. :)

10. alennor

alennor MANIAC PURSUER Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My god, thank you so much for creating this tutorial, just purchased mv a few days ago and still learning it and this tutorial is one of the best i had see!

Thanks again!

11. Sards

Sards Ultra Mapper Member

First Language:
    Taglish,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How come yours has a high resolution image in photoshop?

12. mightYXu

mightYXu Villager Member

Found it very educational and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!   :rock-right:

13. Poupouille

Poupouille Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you, it will help me a lot!

14. Aryam777

Aryam777 Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was really inspired by this tutorial. So far I did a LOT of work with the tiles to make my maps look pretty but that's.... Art. :)

Makes me feel sad I'm more of a coder than an artis... :p And also makes me want to be more than I already am! xD

Thanks for that thing! There's really nothing I would add there... I can't even think of any things I would like to do but can't using this!

I'm not sure what you mean... If they're above something like over a bridge or a cliff, or just walking in front of that bush and their hair or hats get hidden under it? But for you and anyone else who's got layer problems I don't think you can do either with overlays but his is how to do both:

If you want to display stuff above or below characters depending on the situation here's how
    Your bush must not be in the overlay layer.
    Just copy the single bush tile (or tiles) from your graphics editor and place an event on that bush... On the first page of the event set NONE as the event image and set it to "Below Characters". On the second page set your bush and set it to "Above characters". Now you can set the 2nd page to be displayed conditionally and the condition would be a switch that gets turned off and on when characters climb and descent something that gets them above or below the bush.
    This would work like this:
    Bridge1.jpg Bridge2.jpg

If you just want them to cover the bush while they're walking in front of it I would suggest 2 solutions:
    1. more neat and simple would be the Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads plugin that also help and boost parallax map drawing, while not increasing the file sizes at all!
    2. do the same thing as in the ascending and descending stairs but...
    - set the second page condition to Self-Switch A

- set the trigger for both pages to "Parallel"

- in the 1st page of the event add a Conditional Branch and as a condition use this short script
    "$gamePlayer.y > $gameMap.event(this.eventId()).y" and inside that IF do "SET SELF SWITCH A to ON".

- in the 2nd page of that event do the exact same thing but change the condition script to:
    "$gamePlayer.y <= $gameMap.event(this.eventId()).y" and if this happens tell that event to "SET SELF SWITCH A to OFF".
    That's it.

Solution 2 doesn't work for followers when your character is in front of the obect while they are still behind it and vice verca... The second sometimes might not. :) But requires a plugin installation and ingame menu usage and some people prefer to use a short script or two rather than rework their whole graphics system. xD
    Also Solution 1 makes it harder for those tiles to do something... Life fences disallowing passage. You can still do it but with a specially prepared and modified 100% transparent tile.
    Both would look like this:
    Fence1.jpg Fence2.jpg
    While the second one allows to set the event more clearly as impassable through it's bottom border only. :)

But since the devil sits in the details... Unless the sides of those tiles would disallow moving north/south I would advise solution 1 and transparent-partially impassable tiles. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Kitsunekko and anonamix like this.
  15. Pikheat

Pikheat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your awesome videos!

Helped me a lot.

16. anonamix

anonamix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This tutorial helped me greatly. Thank you very much.

I am having trouble with my overlay covering my tall sprite when he is under it (although I want it to cover while my sprite is behind/above the overlay). Is there any plugin to fix this?

I think you are describing a solution for my issue but I am still a beginner and am not quite following..

I can make an event under each overlay, activated by player touch? That event can switch my overlay picture beneath my sprite while it is underneath that section of overlay? Then switches back to normal when my sprite is above/behind the overlay section?

Haha I'm still learning. Any help steering my in the right direction would be much appreciated. And thanks again for the great tutorial!

17. Antroxity

Antroxity Rookie Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great tutorial. Figures. I'm having headaches over the week because of 'parallaxing.' Thanks for the tutorial,specially for the tips section. :D

18. Rickiticki

Rickiticki RPG Enthusiast Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is an excellent introduction to parallax mapping. :D It is greatly appreciated.

Although I’m having some issues with Kaus Ultimate Overlay plugin when trying to create a fishing skill event. When I create this simple fishing event it interferes with KUO plugin. First though, it starts a common event at the beginning of the game, even though the trigger for it is not set to go off. Then, it turns off the overlay layer for all maps, not just the one I’m in, so I’m walking on top of all my trees and such and the water overlap stuff disappears. It reappears for a second when I start fishing and then turns off again when Im done.

This is the fishing skill tutorial I used. It doesn’t require additional plugins, just a little in game eventing.... Thats why Im so confused.

Also, I created an empty project without parallaxing to test some aspects of what might be causing it. It’s definitely KUO plugin. When I turn it off, the fishing event works fine. When I turn it on, the crazy happens. And I tested this occurrence on a map with parallax layers and one with completely default RTP tiles. Same error.

I don’t know if you can help, since this is a forum for parallax mapping for beginners, not about creating working fishing events on parallax maps, but I tried to look for help on KUO page and found out he’s been banned and the plugin is not longer being worked on. So if you or anyone can point me into the right direction where I can get some simple eventing done on a parallax map and keep my overlay layers, that would be amazing, thanks. :)

I can post my sample project so you can see what I’m talking about for yourself. It’s about 150MBs.

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Rickiticki This is, indeed, not the place to ask that question.

What I suggest you do is to start a thread in MV Support. Before assuming that it is the plugin, people will want to eliminate the possibility that it is how you have been doing your eventing. Therefore include screenshots of the event page(s). Downloading your project - even if it is only 150Mb - is something that many people would not do, so you cannot rely on that. If it turns out that your eventing is fine, then the thread might get moved to Plugin Support, but let's eliminate possibilities first.

20. Thortuga

Thortuga Villager Member

@fallenlorelei Hi and first I'd like to say thanks so much for the tutorial! I would have never even attempted to start parallax mapping without it, not to mention I have never used photoshop before and you explained everything well enough for even someone like me to make it work.
    However I had one issue: the transparent water tiles. I noticed in your video that you simply colored over all of your existing water (and water plants, rocks, parts of trees etc) and when you opened Test Play, everything you colored over was magically back, with the nice animated water.

I tried this, and everything I colored over was still gone in Test Play. So I tried moving everything that I colored over with the new water tiles into the overlay layer, and this managed to make everything reappear in Test Play but all the plants, cliffs, and everything else I colored over were suddenly brightly highlighted with white for some reason. In short, I'm having trouble getting the animated water tiles without discoloring or deleting everything else that's in (or under) the water. Any input from anybody would be helpful, and thanks in advance!

Here's the map I'm having issues with. It's my first attempt at parallax mapping so any tips/suggestions are welcome as well.

[​IMG]